Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
This idea bothers me. You think DW never had any real intention or desire to aim higher than JH? I get it. We're in dire straights. But the idea that our AD had no intention of actually pursuing big fish, that he started out willing to settle for far less, that bothers me.

That's not what I meant. We explored options but went down the list quickly. We didn't get much traction with the bigger names and there's only so much you can do when people aren't interested in the job. DW seems to really believe in JH, so perhaps he thought he was the right person for this situation at this time. Most people like to hire people they know and trust when putting together a staff, especially when the job is big, the stakes are high and a lot of eyes are on them. Not having prickly relationships is a step in the right direction, even if things didn't play out like we hoped.

Last edited:
Just don’t live under the assumption every big fish has a desire to be at UT, and we should be well aware after the last 3 coaching searches that our insiders aren’t always accurate in their voiced opinions here.
I don't assume every big fish wants to be here, but I also don't assume no big fish wants to be here.

That's not what I meant. We explored options but went down the list quickly. We didn't get much traction with the bigger names. DW seems to really believe in JH, so perhaps he thought he was the right person for this situation at this time. Most people like to hire people they know and trust when putting together a staff, especially when the job is big, the stakes are high and a lot of eyes are on them. Not having prickly relationships is a step in the right direction, even if things didn't play out like we hoped.

I feel like DW knew he had a few solid candidates (JH being one) he could bring here without any real back & forth.

Probably didn’t want to play wait & see with some of the less enthusiastic candidates, despite how big of a fish they were. As an AD in a coaching search I could see that being a turn off immediately, if the person is seriously interested in the job there isn’t a lot of waiting around.

That's not what I meant. We explored options but went down the list quickly. We didn't get much traction with the bigger names. DW seems to really believe in JH, so perhaps he thought he was the right person for this situation at this time. Most people like to hire people they know and trust when putting together a staff, especially when the job is big, the stakes are high and a lot of eyes are on them. Not having prickly relationships is a step in the right direction, even if things didn't play out like we hoped.
Understood, but I hope JH is willing to buck that just a little when hiring for the defense.

Reactions: OrangenSC
I don't assume every big fish wants to be here, but I also don't assume no big fish wants to be here.

Fair point, I honestly don’t think Kiffin is worth what it’d likely cost to bring him here. Freeze I 100% believe the SEC has asked that he not return, so when a team decides to push that boundary it will be interesting.

I’ve never thought Fickell or Campbell were likely to move on. Campbell likely waiting on a NFL shot, if he’s willing to leave Iowa State at all. Fickell wants a Big 10 gig, and will wait it out.

I felt like Herman was probably the biggest fish with interest, but the debate could be made he’s JH level and just got a few years in at Texas.

I feel like DW knew he had a few solid candidates (JH being one) he could bring here without any real back & forth.

Probably didn’t want to play wait & see with some of the less enthusiastic candidates, despite how big of a fish they were. As an AD in a coaching search I could see that being a turn off immediately, if the person is seriously interested in the job there isn’t a lot of waiting around.
An AD also has to be able to sell the job to an attractive candidate. Difficult to do when you're new to the university. I get that. DW jumped into a particularly difficult position. I can understand LA's point about familiarity in that instance. But if, say 5 years down the line, we're looking for a new FB coach again, and DW is still the AD, he needs to be able to sell UT to the most attractive candidate and not settle.

Reactions: OrangenSC
Fair point, I honestly don’t think Kiffin is worth what it’d likely cost to bring him here. Freeze I 100% believe the SEC has asked that he not return, so when a team decides to push that boundary it will be interesting.

I’ve never thought Fickell or Campbell were likely to move on. Campbell likely waiting on a NFL shot, if he’s willing to leave Iowa State at all. Fickell wants a Big 10 gig, and will wait it out.

I felt like Herman was probably the biggest fish with interest, but the debate could be made he’s JH level and just got a few years in at Texas.

I guess a lot depends on personal opinion as to who is and is not a big fish. I don't see Freeze as a big fish. I like Kiffin, but don't particularly view him as a big fish either.

That's not what I meant. We explored options but went down the list quickly. We didn't get much traction with the bigger names and there's only so much you can do when people aren't interested in the job. DW seems to really believe in JH, so perhaps he thought he was the right person for this situation at this time. Most people like to hire people they know and trust when putting together a staff, especially when the job is big, the stakes are high and a lot of eyes are on them. Not having prickly relationships is a step in the right direction, even if things didn't play out like we hoped.
I think the fact that signing day was approaching soon might have put more urgency on DW to have a coach in place before that date.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back