Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
An AD also has to be able to sell the job to an attractive candidate. Difficult to do when you're new to the university. I get that. DW jumped into a particularly difficult position. I can understand LA's point about familiarity in that instance. But if, say 5 years down the line, we're looking for a new FB coach again, and DW is still the AD, he needs to be able to sell UT to the most attractive candidate and not settle.

He found & hired a new HC in less than a week though and people still felt it was taking too long.

I don’t disagree with what you’re saying, just don’t think he walked into a situation that would allow him to really spend a ton of time negotiating with bigger candidates that weren’t showing serious interest.

Just got home from job #2.. I saw where Ansley is joining the Chargers defensive staff. Is Kevin Steele gone? What about the rest of Pruitt's staff? Tee, Graham, Chaney, etc..? Is the old staff pretty much done, like it normally goes with a coaching change? Any information?

I feel like DW knew he had a few solid candidates (JH being one) he could bring here without any real back & forth.

Probably didn’t want to play wait & see with some of the less enthusiastic candidates, despite how big of a fish they were. As an AD in a coaching search I could see that being a turn off immediately, if the person is seriously interested in the job there isn’t a lot of waiting around.
Many of the candidates we discussed had really good reasons to NOT move. First and foremost is the threat of NCAA sanctions. This job isn’t very desirable right now, regardless how much we love the place. Plus...

* Campbell has turned down several really good jobs. He doesn’t have a desire to leave.

* Same for Fleck.

* Franklin is already making killer money at his home state school. Why leave? I’m sure he entertained the idea but again — why take on this risky rebuild?

* ‘Napier turned down Auburn (which is a safer job right now). He’ll be able to move to a better/safer job of his liking when he’s ready.

* Chadwell would have taken the job, of course, but I honestly think Heupel is a better option. Look at the stats.

* I don’t believe Kiffin and Freeze were ever options. We can’t bring aboard Freeze in the middle of an NCAA investigation. Surely people understand that. And Kiffin is just untrustworthy. We need stability and continuity. Kiffin is a grade A flake. Period.

White is trying to rebuild our brand and he trusts Heupel to partner with him to make it happen. They both have a history of success. I’m on board.

Just got home from job #2.. I saw where Ansley is joining the Chargers defensive staff. Is Kevin Steele gone? What about the rest of Pruitt's staff? Tee, Graham, Chaney, etc..? Is the old staff pretty much done, like it normally goes with a coaching change? Any information?
Graham is going to Bama, no word on the others yet.

Reactions: Ledzepvol
Steele got interviewed by JH today. Most previous staff is moving on.

I think the fact that signing day was approaching soon might have put more urgency on DW to have a coach in place before that date.
True. Now the pressure is on JH to get a staff assembled. I'm guessing the two WRs are the only possible signees we'll have on NSD. Would have loved to have gotten Tywone Malone, but that possibility went away when this whole mess started. Sucks that he'll probably sign with Ole Miss.

Reactions: windrider
Of the top 17 single-game total-offense outputs in college football in 2020, four have been produced by UCF—including the top-rated figure (798 yards vs. Memphis), along with 689 vs. Tulane, 681 vs. Houston and 660 vs. Georgia Tech.

o_O
And this was their "down" year in 2020. We are at the very least gonna be fun to watch again.

He found & hired a new HC in less than a week though and people still felt it was taking too long.

I don’t disagree with what you’re saying, just don’t think he walked into a situation that would allow him to really spend a ton of time negotiating with bigger candidates that weren’t showing serious interest.
Agreed. That's what I was trying to say, lol.

Reactions: MoCo_Vol

The implosion of the program, charges of cheating, firing of Pruitt, "demotion" of Fulmer, players bailing left and right all at the worst possible time Just before signing day made it difficult to have an orderly search for a new AD and coach. I think, now in retrospect, that things went about as good as we could expect, considering the unique circumstances.

Last edited:
I think Coach Heupel would do himself a favor by promoting Kevin Steele to DC, if Steele wants the job, and by doing that he would be able to bring in Rodney Garner, who is a great recruiter, and we are going to need the best assistant coaches we can get, and definitely great recruiters preferably with SEC experience. With Graham gone, I wonder if Montario Hardesty is an option for running backs coach? We need some defense, to go along with a potentially much better offense, or at least I hope so...

Elliott? And, Franklin got the locker room repainted.
Painted locker room isn't a raise and also sounds made up since that was already planned before last season. Last I saw the Elliott raise rumor was shot down by the Clemson 247 reporter. Although I would not be surprised if he gets the UCF job and gets a raise.

After I posted that I thought. If Franklin was #1 the top 2 candidates were. I agree it would be cool and it would be awesome to see a premiere school hire a HC of color but Tee isn't ready. It will never happen but he needs to apologize for this statement.
Will this dumb racist **** never end? Elliott could have the job right now if he wanted...so 🤬 him, I had already accepted him and was looking forward to seeing what he could do.

On another note...I hope Heupel brings us back to our rightful place..becomes a all time beloved legend..and all these coward pu***** that stuck up their noses at us look on it from afar for the rest of their lives in regret thinking.."That could have been me, except I have little tiny baby mouse balls"

Oh yeah...🤬 Albert Haynesworth..he has always been a piss poor example of what a Tennessee Volunteer is supposed to be..😡

Painted locker room isn't a raise and also sounds made up since that was already planned before last season. Last I saw the Elliott raise rumor was shot down by the Clemson 247 reporter. Although I would not be surprised if he gets the UCF job and gets a raise.
And, Franklin got the locker room repainted.

Of the top 17 single-game total-offense outputs in college football in 2020, four have been produced by UCF—including the top-rated figure (798 yards vs. Memphis), along with 689 vs. Tulane, 681 vs. Houston and 660 vs. Georgia Tech.

o_O

Also:

-Nobody gains more yards than UCF (619.1 per game).
- Nobody throws for more yards than the Knights (396.9 per game).
-Nobody runs more plays than UCF (86.5 per game).
- Nobody produces more first downs than the Knights (29.1 per game).

-UCF's offensive production the last three football seasons (2017-18-19) has been off the charts.

They rank as the only three years in history in which the Knights have averaged more than 500 yards of total offense per game (530.5 in 2017, 522.7 in 2018 and a school-record 540.5 in 2019)

Now comes 2020.

In addition to a pandemic, the football season has brought about a UCF offensive explosion that has dwarfed those figures from recent seasons:

In addition to ranking No. 1 in both total offense and passing offense, the Knights currently stand No. 11 in scoring (44.0 points) and 20th in rushing (222.3 yards per

If it holds up, the current UCF total-offense average of 619.1 yards per game would rank as the second-highest in NCAA Football Bowl Subdivision history--behind only the record 624.9 figure by Houston in 1989.

The current UCF passing yards per-game average of 396.9 would have led the nation in five of the last eight seasons.

**Heupel has averaged over 42 points per game for 3 seasons**

....Read that again

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back