Official grief thread

again..............nobody of any real stature wants this toxic job. JH is the best of who would even take it. Got turned down by an OC!
Truthfully we don't know this.

I wonder if guys like Chadwell or Healy were talked to? Those two actually BUILT SOMETHING. Heupel is on a downward trend- and great, even good, coaches can make lemonade out of crap.

I wonder if guys like Chadwell or Healy were talked to? Those two actually BUILT SOMETHING. Heupel is on a downward trend- and great, even good, coaches can make lemonade out of crap.
I was hopping for Healy. Loved what he did at The Peay and doing at Charlotte. He is from TN and wasn't interested in the UT job right now.....based on what I heard from friends of his.

I'm curious if Napier and Chadwell were even contacted. It seems like White likely came into the job knowing full well who he was going to hire and created a "search" to justify nobody wanting to come here. When A&M wanted out of the rut and wanted a legit coach, they had to shell out $75mil over 10 years to do it. We're in the same position. Nobody is going to take this job for $4mil/year or even $5 or $6mil/year. It took Florida $6mil/year to pull Mullen, we're definitely above that.

It's one thing if we swung for the fences and struck out... but if you offer another Coordinator with no HC experience $3.5mil/year and he says "nah", you're not swinging for any fences, you're just trying the same failed formula all over again with slightly different labcoats on.

Reactions: yabbadabbado
I don't know...Fans got excited over Pruitt and his staff. He was in line to take over for Saban pretty early on according to posters. I'm not thrilled about Heupel, but I'll give the guy a chance. At least he can put a decent offense on the field and that is the opposite of everything we've been doing.

Reactions: Rickyvol77
I'm disappointed at face value, but if Heupel ends up being the 2nd coming of Neyland, and if that was White's vision all along, then he wins. Time will tell.

I've tried moving on and leaving the Vols. It didn't work, but I will be hesitant to invest time or resources as a fan until they start winning some previously unwindable games.

Living in Tuscaloosa, this reminds me of when Saban (no, I am not making a S/H comparison). Everyone hated the hire. The wailing, moaning and gnashing of teeth all sounds the same. It worked out pretty ok

Everyone? some might have but this was universally, Alabama fans and national media, hailed as a great hire. His arrival bordered on the Beatles arrival in the US.

I bet they pay him out the a$$. Watch, we will make him one of the highest paid coaches in the SEC.

Apparently his skill set doesn’t include Jedi mind tricking people into taking over an awful situation.
Think he underestimated the task and/or overestimated his ability to work the situation? Not enough getting a pulse of UT football drudgery and it's reputation, added to recent NCAA blunders?

Simply can't believe this was the #1 plan all along but maybe was the backup, all along.

If this turns out to be the hire, he may turn out to be successful or not, just like any other hire when we do not know the NCAA circumstances of the next few years.

My complaint is there is really no way to spin how White just gutted the UCF program. He had a right to leave and good for him. But to now take their coach this late without an AD is just not what I would consider ethical. His future will now be completely attached to Heupel's success.

If he wins, UT fans will get over the optics but it is not pretty now.

The same people that are saying wait and see how he does are the same people that said the same things about Dooley, Butch and Pruitt

Reactions: Vols&Vettes
I'm curious if Napier and Chadwell were even contacted. It seems like White likely came into the job knowing full well who he was going to hire and created a "search" to justify nobody wanting to come here. When A&M wanted out of the rut and wanted a legit coach, they had to shell out $75mil over 10 years to do it. We're in the same position. Nobody is going to take this job for $4mil/year or even $5 or $6mil/year. It took Florida $6mil/year to pull Mullen, we're definitely above that.

It's one thing if we swung for the fences and struck out... but if you offer another Coordinator with no HC experience $3.5mil/year and he says "nah", you're not swinging for any fences, you're just trying the same failed formula all over again with slightly different labcoats on.
I would have been fine with Napier or Chadwell. They have BUILT THINGS, and Tennessee needs to be rebuilt.

Heupel does less and less and hasn't built a damn thing.

I get the non splash hire, me too, but the down trending is being overplayed, without context, seems to me. Dude had a tough act to follow and I take this yr with a grain of salt since I have no idea how anyone can gauge much from the varying covid effects. Yes, all teams dealt with some version of it but not all the same version.
No sense in making it worse than it is

The same people that are saying wait and see how he does are the same people that said the same things about Dooley, Butch and Pruitt

And? If we would have hired Franklin we would have said the same thing. There is zero guarantees of success in college football.

If it’s Heupel all we can do is wait and see how he does but most agree it’s a low excitement hire. White will be defined by this hire whether he likes it or not.
With UT paying White almost $10 million with automatic contract extensions...why would White care?

I don't know if Heupel will work out or not but at almost $20 million being spent, UT should have done bigger, better.

This hire is like last call at the bar when you've been flirting with some 7's and 8's maybe even a 9 but they just wouldn't commit so you end up bringing a big girl home because it's better then rubbing one out in the shower.

And? If we would have hired Franklin we would have said the same thing. There is zero guarantees of success in college football.
Franklin, for being as big a douche as he is, has 11-2 records all over the place and took VANDERBILT to relevance. He has a long track record of sustained success in major conferences, and should get the benefit of the doubt for this season.

Heupel has a short track record beating up on nobody where the justification that keeps getting thrown around for his hiring include LOSSES. This is a loser hire.

VN Store

Back