Coachery

Guys, no need to worry and speculate, just know that Donde Plowman is going to bring a man of deep integrity to Knoxville. Someone to really foster and nurture these fine young men’s character. Wins and losses always come second here at UT. We don’t want to win with a guy like Hugh Freeze. We need to be righteous in the cellar of our division with Vandy.
Moral compass U

I'd never thought about the order things happen in. ADDW wants the team to hear it first. The new coach will need to resign from his current position. Will ADDW tell the players before the coach resigns? Does the coach have to resign from his old position before accepting the UT job? By announcing to the team (based on a MOU I guess) is he doing so at risk of the contract falling through? I'm sure they have a handle on all this, I just wonder what that process will look like.
I don't think it has to be too complicated. The timeline could be as simple as:

9:00 -- Coach informs boss he has accepted the Tennessee job, and that Tennessee AD will be contacting the boss' staff to arrange buyout. Thanks him for the time together.

9:15 -- Coach has quick huddle with his assistant coaches, lets them know (the ones he is bringing with him already know, and have been sworn to secrecy until they arrive Knoxville)

9:30 -- Coach meets with his players, informs them he's heading on. SIMULTANEOUSLY, Danny White meets with Vols players to tell them who their new coach is.

10:00 -- Coach boards a plane for Knoxville with his family, who were already standing by at the airport. SIMULTANEOUSLY, Danny White and Donde Plowman hold press conference to announce the Vols' new head coach.

1:00 -- Donde hosts luncheon with the UT leadership, new coach and family

2:00 -- Second press conference of the day, where the new head coach is welcomed aboard.

That's not complicated. And it flows so that the information is controlled at every point.

Last edited:
Doesn't mean we have one as well. If you give a deadline and it doesn't happen by then, by definition you're wrong lol
If you have a deadline and WHAT doesn't happen by then?

No one said we would hear who the new coach is today. Not a single person said that. A couple have said that we got our man today. That doesn't mean they have to announce it to the world same day.

I don’t know anything beyond what I shared earlier. I don’t know if we succeeded with first candidate or moved down. I was in a meeting all afternoon, but received the text at 2:30. I assume they had a deal by then. I think everyone has been given the hard line on sharing. My friend has nothing new. I have nothing new. I’ll share anything I hear.

I saw this afternoon you said we they reached terms with our new coach. What would be the reason for no announcement after both parties have reached terms? The details can and are finalized in these deals by lawyers and agents after terms are agreed upon. So why would UT in the position we are in needing to catch up with the portal, rally the team, hire a staff, and recruit for 2022 delay in the announcement?

Any sitting coach at the moment as soon as he tells his players something will leak to media with 2 minutes. So whoever it is hasn’t informed his team if he has a team. Unless it’s Elliot and he wouldn’t necessarily have to really tell a team until everything was already announced.

I would have to disagree based solely on the fact that nothing has leaked. If it’s a big name, no way this is kept secret for going on 6 hours now.

This, if nothing else, demonstrates the ineptitude of previous AD’s who did not know how to conduct a professional search. We’re so used to having amateur hour in the AD office, we think a properly run search means doom and gloom.

I can see where terms are agreed upon and he will inform his team the same time the UT players are informed of the new hire at which point said name will be leaked by administration

If we’re looking for guys who turned around a major program that was in as bad shape as Tennessee is currently in, you’re not going to find any...coordinator, head coach or otherwise. Alabama was in better shape when they hired Saban. USC was in better shape when they hired Carroll.

You can poke a hole in any analogy. That’s the nature of an analogy...it’s not exactly the same.

I’m just saying that coordinators can be successful as first time head coaches at major programs.
Dinardo-Saban, Hackett-Carroll, Harris-Harbaugh, Nutt-Freeze, Caldwell-Franklin. We already hit on Stoops. Probably a reason three of those guys have been heavily discussed here.

Reactions: kcvols1
I saw this afternoon you said we they reached terms with our new coach. What would be the reason for no announcement after both parties have reached terms? The details can and are finalized in these deals by lawyers and agents after terms are agreed upon. So why would UT in the position we are in needing to catch up with the portal, rally the team, hire a staff, and recruit for 2022 delay in the announcement?
In a universe with no leaks, I assume White wants to follow through with his commitment to tell the team before telling anyone. That’s a guess. My friend has been tracking with this thing for weeks. If he thinks they’ve agreed to terms, I believe him. I don’t know the variables for determining when they announce, but assume they have good reasons for whatever plans they have.

People need not react if it is Elliott. It just means that the top tier coaches thinks the program is toxic and afraid to leap.

I would rather have Fleck, Campbell, Herman, or Chadwell, but....

I really think that Elliott could pull together a staff with Tee, Graham, Steele, Garner, and Chaney. He might pull a couple of coaches from Clemson also. That would be a fantastic recruiting staff for the Southeast.

Just because our previous incompetent AD made a bad assistant hire does not mean that Elliott would be a bad hire. If this would be our outcome at least we would find out who is for the program and who is a coach worshiper on here. He is not my first choice but we could win with this.
Ture!
This is a great job for a reason!

You have to be as bad as the last three coaches to not be able to win here.

They all got talent and squandered it BIG TIME. What Dooley, Butch and Pruitt did was unbelievable. Especially Butch, with Kamara, Dobbs, Hurd and all those other NFL players. So many dumb play calls, horrible scheme. Recruiting weak linemen. Pruitt starting JG for three years...

Even Butch and his insanity got us to number 9.

All Elliot would need to do is find a guy to put a respectable defense out there, recruit, which he can do, not start someone as awful as JG for three years and we are at least guaranteed 8 wins a season (depending on how heinous the NCAA infractions are)

I don't want to loose site of the coaching search, but does anybody have any idea why so many players are entering the transfer portolet? I realize it's a doggy dog world out there, but I cannot turn a blonde eye to this. I guess when supply and command fails, this is the result.

Find me a program that was in as bad shape as Tennessee that hired a sitting head coach and he was successful. Don’t say Saban. Shula left him plenty of talent.

Florida won 4 games year before Mullen. The same number than UT won before Pruitt. Agree, UF wasnt as bad as UT.

Ole Miss hiring Freeze after Nutt

Reactions: NighthawkVol
Well supposedly a hire was finalized today so maybe they called him? 🤷🏼‍♂️
He echos the strategy of having a “home run” in Franklin and a “backup” strategy in Eilliot and Dykes. Just sounds eerily familiar to what has been described here.

Possibly it is Franklin, and Low was prepping the fans of a "home run hire" and building him up.
I don't see him using that compliment if he was not the one.

In a universe with no leaks, I assume White wants to follow through with his commitment to tell the team before telling anyone. That’s a guess. My friend has been tracking with this thing for weeks. If he thinks they’ve agreed to terms, I believe him. I don’t know the variables for determining when they announce, but assume they have good reasons for whatever plans they have.
Equally likely about the other side and what they want if a big fish. If they said I’m going assistant hunting and flipping recruits right now, DW is saying how can I help you

Reactions: Stoerner Fumbles
Signing day is approaching and we are losing players by the hour. If we really have a guy, there’s simply no reason to not announce as soon as possible. Tomorrow afternoon at the latest. Otherwise, it’s hard to believe we have a guy.
I don't think we do. I think its the same story different page. We've been turned down multiple times, only difference is we don't have the public embarrassment we usually do.

VN Store

Back