Jordan Horston

The problem is when she goes full Jordan Guarantano, a bad turnover here, a forced shot there, and she completely melts down and it kills the team. Her body language becomes horrible, she pouts, sulks, stops hustling. That's why she rubs a lot of fans the wrong way, and I'm sure it rubs teammates the wrong way. It's a horrible look for someone trying to play point guard being groomed to lead this team one day.

Horston played, and started, a lot as a freshman and she's third in minutes midway through her sophomore year. She isn't really that "young" anymore. We can still hope she will grow out of it. But like the aforementioned Vols QB, she might not. It's pretty telling the Kellie pulled her from the starting lineup late last season and kept her out to start this season. She is starting at point out of necessity. Frankly, when her next tantrum hits I would hope Kellie is ready to bench her and roll with Salary and Walker. They don't have the same talent, but you know what you're getting: they play within themselves, play hard, and Salary in particular has a high ceiling for growth...

Reactions: LadyVol1908
The problem is when she goes full Jordan Guarantano, a bad turnover here, a forced shot there, and she completely melts down and it kills the team. Her body language becomes horrible, she pouts, sulks, stops hustling. That's why she rubs a lot of fans the wrong way, and I'm sure it rubs teammates the wrong way. It's a horrible look for someone trying to play point guard being groomed to lead this team one day.

Horston played, and started, a lot as a freshman and she's third in minutes midway through her sophomore year. She isn't really that "young" anymore. We can still hope she will grow out of it. But like the aforementioned Vols QB, she might not. It's pretty telling the Kellie pulled her from the starting lineup late last season and kept her out to start this season. She is starting at point out of necessity. Frankly, when her next tantrum hits I would hope Kellie is ready to bench her and roll with Salary and Walker. They don't have the same talent, but you know what you're getting: they play within themselves, play hard, and Salary in particular has a high ceiling for growth...
horstion is better than walker destiny does not over. marta needs more minuets.

I agree with what you are saying. Trashing players is not necessary. However, the players and their families would be smart to stay off the message boards. Nothing good can come out of it.
My new drinking game: take a double shot every time we have this exact discussion. He who looks for insults almost always finds them. Especially on fan forums. Nothing to see here for players or parents. Move along.
Jordan is the type of athlete that you "release" and let her play to her unbridled limits, only pulling the reins in or guiding at very precise times,,,,the more you control a player like that the more they fight both inwardly and outwardly,,,I wish Coach K would see this and just let the child do what got her to the #2 player in the land a couple of years ago.
What do you mean by this? What is Jordan not being allowed to do? I haven't noticed her being reined in; in fact, just the opposite. What should Kellie let the child do to become #2 again?

If you mean being made to play out of position, I agree. It's a hard choice bc at times she'd been decent at PG and Walkary (Walker and Salary) aren't always reliable. But I really think its holding her offense back and she'd be more free to score in various ways from the off guard position.

I really don’t know why they have not filed a restraining order on him. “As influential to this organization as any staff member or coach is.” The delusion just gets worse.
This question has come up before. That discussion only feeds the beast and it will eventually devolve and get taken down anyway.

I doubt there are legal repercussions unless physical space is forcibly trespassed, but I wonder about the coaching ethics of it. Do coaches really do this to each other? Hey since you won't hire me I'm going to shadow coach your team, constantly try to make contact with your players, and worse, your prospects. Do other schools have AAU coaches and random guys doing this?

I guess players are allowed private training during the offseason, but what are the ethics as far as continuing to try to give them coaching advice during the season? Seems so destructive for the player.

Can you imagine this in regular business? Someone tells the CEO he intends to be as influential to his organization as anyone who actually works there? Then makes it his business to contact the CEO's carefully cultivated potential customers to establish his own relationship?

Maybe I'm just naĂŻve, but this boogles my mind.

Last edited:
Orange, I'm not saying she is a bad person, or that she quit....I said she had a horrendous night, and she did. It can't be sugar coated...

I'm sure she is a wonderful person, but points are not given for being a wonderful person...Maybe next time she will be all world, but in this game she was not.

This thread title is just her name...It does not say "appreciation thread." People have bad nights, it happens.
truth

To Jordon Horston and every player, coach, and parents of the players on the current Lady Vols Team: I am truly grateful that you chose the Lady Vols Women's Basketball Program as the vehicle to achieve your goals and your dreams. Each of you bring your own unique personality, talents, and skills set that are and will be the foundation and cornerstone for the team you will create on a daily basis, and I am ultra excited to see a great team in the making. Ladies, nothing great has ever been accomplished in without setbacks, down moments, bad games, and nasty criticisms. When she first started, many people didn't see Pat Head Summitt as the coach she became. When Tennessee was in what I called the bridesmaids stage and just couldn't breakthrough to the first championship, a lot people thought that Pat Summitt was not up to the challenge, but she broke through 8X over. Your own coach, Kelly Jolly overcame an ACL tear, lead her team to a National Championship, and people doubted her comeback. The fact that all of you are at UT, that you just played the best program in women's basketball and held them close, is proof positive that you belong. Ms. Horston, I don't know if you going through anything, but please know and believe that you and your teammates and coaches are bigger and better than you know. Greatness takes a lot of time, a lot of work, and a lot of not so good moments, but you were born for greatness, you were born for the big stage. Nobody talks about people who's not doing anything. Don't worry about people's smallness, you live in your bigness. The more they talk, the more they hate, the more you work. Young lady you are a baller and fierce competitor who will become a dominant player, and let nobody tell you different. Jordon you must believe that, because nobody can do that for you. The greatest way to close people lips is to continually build yourself and your success. There has never been a star Lady Vol basketball player who has not been criticized in someway, shape, or form, and it going to happen to you again and again. Jordan to you and your teammates, I mean this with the greatest support ladies, in the words of Pat Summitt, "Toughen Up Buttercup". Finally, there is a book by Tim S. Grover (Michael Jordon's strength and development Coach) that the whole team should immerse themselves in, it could be the much needed weapon in the toolbox. REMEMBER, BE STRONG, AND BE GREAT. GO LADY VOLS!!!!!!!!

As a point of comparison, Rae was still an inconsistent bull in the China during her entire sophomore. She was better than as Freshman but still had a lot of work to do. This season she is putting it together.

So, yeah Jordan can be classified as underclass player because that is what she is no matter how you count her minutes on the court.

This game was by far her worst of the season (though she had an early season game that might be a contender as well). But she has been pretty solid this season and has made some nice contributions on the defensive side. I think she got too caught up in the Uconn hyper and maybe some of the Westbrook drama and it did not go well. So, she "rubs a lot of fans the wrong way" is hyperbole. Were they "rubbed the wrong way" after the Bama game too? All the teammates that were trying to lift Jordan during the game, were "they rubbed the wrong way"? Maybe you meant she rubs you the wrong way. And I am sure we could spend a long time discussing all the players, coaches mascots, fans, uniforms, concession sale items, cheerleaders and everything else associated with the LV program that rub you the wrong way. If you have any skin left, that would be a miracle.

Reactions: ruvol and Rickster
Very true and what I stated was just my opinion. I was not bashing Horston and in fact was defending her. My point was that she still has room to grow and we sometimes forget that she is a sophomore that did not go through a full spring with her coaches. With that being said, rewatch the games because her body language speaks volumes in the games she has struggled and that is a maturity issue that will come with time. Does it happen every game? No. But we would be lying if we said it doesn’t happen. Horston is an excellent athlete and is very competitive. You can tell she just wants to win but she’s also still learning and growing in one of the toughest conferences in Women’s Basketball.

I can’t speak for how Kellie should use her since I don’t see practices. From a pure game day standpoint, I’ve felt like she has tried to integrate her more this year then last. Rae and Rennia are the only ones with more field goal attempts.

I agree she has a lot of room to grow. I think everyone sees her reactions,I just don't know if they are good or bad or insignificant to how she plays. She might be 3rd in FGs but I think she is player who needs more freedom..The more she's allowed that freedom I think the more confident she will be with her shot. It's just my opinion but I really think It's Rae and Davis (rightfully so) but I think the team will play better if the 3 of them are almost equal options like Brown Tatum and Walker . On the other hand maybe she has that freedom and I'm missing something althogether

Reactions: Coach Jumper

Just for the record, I was instrumental in helping the Avengers defeat Thanos by making a distracting post on Facebook. I would tell you more about my top secret role but I would risk all that I have built with S.H.I.E.L.D. but rest assured I am Nick Fury's go to motivational guy.

As a point of comparison, Rae was still an inconsistent bull in the China during her entire sophomore. She was better than as Freshman but still had a lot of work to do. This season she is putting it together.

The difference is Rae never pouts, gives up on play, and lacks effort. And yes, that behavior rubs me the wrong way. She also improved enough through her sophomore season to work her way into the starting lineup, replacing.... who was it?

This game was by far her worst of the season (though she had an early season game that might be a contender as well). But she has been pretty solid this season and has made some nice contributions on the defensive side.

I disagree. Now that Key is finally stepping up her game, Horston has easily been the most disappointing player on the roster relative to expectations IMO...

Reactions: LadyVol1908
The difference is Rae never pouts, gives up on play, and lacks effort. And yes, that behavior rubs me the wrong way. She also improved enough through her sophomore season to work her way into the starting lineup, replacing.... who was it?

I disagree. Now that Key is finally stepping up her game, Horston has easily been the most disappointing player on the roster relative to expectations IMO...

Expectations is the key phrase. For a #2 ranked recruit (I believe even #1 in some ratings ), she has not had the program changing impact that was expected. I can recall during the Evina controversy, there was a lot of "good riddance, Jordan is going to be far, far superior". Well, that is not happening (so far).

Jordan was not bad last season and did make the all SEC freshmen team but I actually....... (sits down, takes a shot of whiskey, and then another, prays for forgiveness).....

agree with you that her development from last season has been disappointing. Jordan should be (by expectations), a more consistent game impacting player (in a positive way that is).

I think the biggest thing holding her back is that she is not well suited to the PG position. She could be a great "point forward" hybrid player but the floor leadership demands of being a PG just seem beyond her. Now, maybe one more season will do the job but I envision her filling Rennia's slot next season and thriving.

Last edited:
Poor Coach...
giphy+%2866%29.gif

I'm sure it will serve as motivation.

Ur not a good fan when u can crucify a player for having a bad game instead of giving ur motivation. Holly's superstar team won't even keep up with Uconn that's why Geno loves Holly to stay. Watch how fast Kellie is getting the program up.. Imagine she had been here with Holly's team or played like this last year, she would've gotten that player that went to Marryland. Overall, I'm proud of her coaching.

Defend Davis if you will but she simply does not show up in a lot of games. Is she talented, no doubt. I would like to see more consistency from her. Many people seem to see her as our go to player, many times she does not seem to meet that expectation.

Great post

And, admittedly, she had a tough outing. But I still would rather have her on my team, than to have to face her...Bad games I can take, bad players you can take

Star players always play bad. U don't use an insulting word to describe them, rather u motivates them. Would u say the same if she's ur child or ur the coach? To me Evina didn't play more than she can rather she got stars around her.

VN Store

Back