Tom Allen Should Be A Top Priority

Allen is a great coach and would be the best we've hired in a long time. Hugh Freeze guy. Coached in Tennessee before. That said, I doubt he leaves Indiana.
I think he is a very good coach. He scared the heck out of Ohio Stats this year losing only 45-38 and led most of the game. I would take a look at him. They averaged almost 29 points per game last year and were ranked #13 last year.

The AD was a good hire. That said, he is in Florida and so are his coaches. Easier to recruit there. Look how Frost performed at UCF vs Nebraska.

That said, look at what Tom Allen has done against the Big 10. They were once worse than Vandy. Hard to recruit even basketball guys there at one point. They were second in Big 10 East and put up 35 against OSU and lost by one TD. No other team put up that many points against OSU. Not even Clemson. And we want to hire Clemson’s OC over him?

Tom Allen has it all. Experienced HC building a much weaker program in much tougher to recruit to area in a Power 5 conference. Proven offensive minded coach but his team had a good D too as they allowed Kiffin to score fewer points than Bama.

We could probably get him for less than we could if he turns Indiana into a Utah when UM was there. This guy is one of the few obvious guys to me. Why I am not hearing this guy’s name more, I have no idea.
He has a $23M buyout

Reactions: Vollifer1949
The most wins he has in a season as a head coach is 8. 8 in the Big 10. Yes, the Big 10. Let that sink in.

Even Jones has had more wins in a season in the SEC.

The most wins he has in a season as a head coach is 8. 8 in the Big 10. Yes, the Big 10. Let that sink in.

Even Jones has had more wins in a season in the SEC.
Hasn’t he improved every year? Hard to judge a coach after his first couple of years. Normally a new coach has taken over a very bad program. Even Saban barely got over .500 his first year at Alabama.

Reactions: ABINGDON VOL FAN
Almost all of his previous coaching gigs were at a lower level. He was a DC for just 2 years one at South Florida and one at Indiana.

As a HC he has gone:
0-1
5-7
5-7
8-5
6-2

One 6-2 year doesn’t show what he can do for a down program like Tennessee.

Good coach.......seems like it......Tennessee needs more or at least more consistency.

If your going to reach........reach BIG.....like reach for someone who has a huge upside.....if your going to reach.
Don’t forget he’s been at Indiana.... Indiana...

Don’t forget he’s been at Indiana.... Indiana...

No doubt

I like the guy, I think he has done a good job.

However right now Tennessee is in bad shape. Worse than an Indiana situation.

I think Tennessee needs much more (WAY more) than a 24-23 (15-19 in conference) Indiana coach.

No doubt

I think Tennessee needs much more (WAY more) than a 24-23 (15-19 in conference) Indiana coach.
I’m not a big fan of his anyway. I don’t think he’d be a good fit at TN

Reactions: JoAllan
No doubt

Indiana won more conference games in his first year than total the last 3 seasons

The AD was a good hire. That said, he is in Florida and so are his coaches. Easier to recruit there. Look how Frost performed at UCF vs Nebraska.

That said, look at what Tom Allen has done against the Big 10. They were once worse than Vandy. Hard to recruit even basketball guys there at one point. They were second in Big 10 East and put up 35 against OSU and lost by one TD. No other team put up that many points against OSU. Not even Clemson. And we want to hire Clemson’s OC over him?

Tom Allen has it all. Experienced HC building a much weaker program in much tougher to recruit to area in a Power 5 conference. Proven offensive minded coach but his team had a good D too as they allowed Kiffin to score fewer points than Bama.

We could probably get him for less than we could if he turns Indiana into a Utah when UM was there. This guy is one of the few obvious guys to me. Why I am not hearing this guy’s name more, I have no idea.
Because he's from Indiana, went to Indiana, and said he has no desire to leave

They went 2-7 his first year
2-7 second
5-4 3rd
6-1 this year

In his interim roll he only coached 1 game....non conference loss.
Pretty good improvement, especially for what he took over and his starting qb graduate transferred to NW last year. He started a true freshman QB this year who got hurt mid season and never returned.

Reactions: vegasvolfan

It’s not easier to recruit to UCF than Tennessee. That’s absurd.

Reactions: PEPPERJAX
There is talent everywhere in Florida....................................just sayin';)

There is. But the notion that they have some hangup about crossing state lines to go to school is antiquated. Did Tee Higgins and Amari Rodgers automatically go to Tennessee? What about Harrison Smith?

It’s about what you’re selling, not where you’re selling it. Tennessee has much more to sell than UCF. That’s why Danny White is in Knoxville.

Reactions: Border Vol
It’s not easier to recruit to UCF than Tennessee. That’s absurd.
OK “absurdity” is why we can’t own our own state in recruiting, have to go all over the place to recruit and have a lot of busts. This isn’t 98 anymore.

Last edited:

It is not easier to recruit to UCF than Nebraska. He also is not an offensive minded HC, he's a defensive minded HC.

VN Store

Back