Tom Allen Should Be A Top Priority

vegasvolfan

Marketing Professional With 25 Years of Experience
The AD was a good hire. That said, he is in Florida and so are his coaches. Easier to recruit in Florida. Plenty of under the radar players there. Look how Frost performed at UCF vs Nebraska.

That said, look at what Tom Allen has done against the Big 10. They were once worse than Vandy. Hard to recruit even basketball guys there at one point. This past season, they were second in Big 10 East and put up 35 against OSU and lost by one TD. No other team put up that many points against OSU. Not even Clemson. And we want to hire Clemson’s OC over him?

Tom Allen has it all. Experienced HC building a much weaker program in much tougher to recruit to area in a Power 5 conference. Proven balance b/w D and O coach. His team had a good D too as they allowed Kiffin to score fewer points than Bama.

This guy is one of the few obvious guys to me. Why I am not hearing this guy’s name more, I have no idea.

UPDATE: The best arguments to this post in OG form that I have read are that Tom is not only originally from Indiana... he is an Indiana Hoosier grad. Also, his buyout is 20+ million. Last he absolutely cannot stand a city full of homosexual homophobes.

Last edited:
The AD was a good hire. That said, he is in Florida and so are his coaches. Easier to recruit there. Look how Frost performed at UCF vs Nebraska.

That said, look at what Tom Allen has done against. They were once worse than Vandy. Hard to recruit even basketball guys there at one point. They were second in Big 10 East and put up 35 against OSU and lost by one TD. No other team put up that many points against OSU. Not even Clemson. And we want to hire Clemson’s OC over him?

Tom Allen has it all. Experienced HC building a much program in much tougher to recruit to area in a Power 5 conference. Proven offensive minded coach but his team had had a good D too as they allowed Kiffin to score fewer points than Bama.

We could probably get him for less than we could if he turns Indiana into a Utah when UM was there. This guy is one of the few obvious guys to me. Why I am not hearing this guy’s name more I have no idea.
He would be a quality hire by Tennessee.

Almost all of his previous coaching gigs were at a lower level. He was a DC for just 2 years one at South Florida and one at Indiana.

As a HC he has gone:
0-1
5-7
5-7
8-5
6-2

One 6-2 year doesn’t show what he can do for a down program like Tennessee.

Good coach.......seems like it......Tennessee needs more or at least more consistency.

If your going to reach........reach BIG.....like reach for someone who has a huge upside.....if your going to reach.

Because of an onside kick. We had about double the talent on the roster than he did. 14-5 the last two years in the regular season. He would be a good pick if we fail at all the other higher profile targets.
He’s a good coach but we tried the whole defense minded coach and didn’t work. In this day of football you need an innovative offense minded coach. So again good coach just not what we need

The AD was a good hire. That said, he is in Florida and so are his coaches. Easier to recruit there. Look how Frost performed at UCF vs Nebraska.

That said, look at what Tom Allen has done against. They were once worse than Vandy. Hard to recruit even basketball guys there at one point. They were second in Big 10 East and put up 35 against OSU and lost by one TD. No other team put up that many points against OSU. Not even Clemson. And we want to hire Clemson’s OC over him?

Tom Allen has it all. Experienced HC building a much program in much tougher to recruit to area in a Power 5 conference. Proven offensive minded coach but his team had had a good D too as they allowed Kiffin to score fewer points than Bama.

We could probably get him for less than we could if he turns Indiana into a Utah when UM was there. This guy is one of the few obvious guys to me. Why I am not hearing this guy’s name more I have no idea.
Mom/ Dad: Hey son, coach Tom Allen is here to see you.
Recruit/ son: WHO????
Mom/ Dad: you know the Tennessee coach
Recruit/ son: Football coach?
Mom/Dad: yes, remember he scheduled an in home visit yesterday.
Recruit/ son: oh yeah yeah right...um...tell him I’m playing call of duty. I’ll be down in about 45 minutes if he can stick around.
Mom/dad: he said he’s got a plane to catch back to Knoxville.
Recruit: aight...tell’em I’ll holla at him later!

Because of an onside kick. We had about double the talent on the roster than he did. 14-5 the last two years in the regular season. He would be a good pick if we fail at all the other higher profile targets.

Sorry. No thanks. There are guys much more familiar with the landscape of the sec much more proven as offensive coaches than him (ie freeze or kiffin). And also, I too would have a big problem with hiring a coach that actually lost to cornbread.

Reactions: Border Vol
Yeah that bowl game was a textbook example of a team winning a game everywhere but on the scoreboard.

I thought of this yesterday, but then realizing he had his alma mater in top 10 this year and is from there, idk why he would leave

It would be tough, but $$$ and a chance to coach in the SEC at a big time program could be luring. Not sure how Knoxville stacks up to Bloomington as a place to live?

Reactions: Border Vol
Sorry. No thanks. There are guys much more familiar with the landscape of the sec much more proven as offensive coaches than him (ie freeze or kiffin). And also, I too would have a big problem with hiring a coach that actually lost to cornbread.
I said he would be a good pick if the other targets are missed. He is definitely a better HC than Pruitt is regardless if he lost to Pruitt in the bowl game. One head to head matchup is irrelevant. He outcoached Pruitt in that game.

Mom/ Dad: Hey son, coach Tom Allen is here to see you.
Recruit/ son: WHO????
Mom/ Dad: you know the Tennessee coach
Recruit/ son: Football coach?
Mom/Dad: yes, remember he scheduled an in home visit yesterday.
Recruit/ son: oh yeah yeah right...um...tell him I’m playing call of duty. I’ll be down in about 45 minutes if he can stick around.
Mom/dad: he said he’s got a plane to catch back to Knoxville.
Recruit: aight...tell’em I’ll holla at him later!
Clearly a fictional writer.

Not when you consider that Butch Jones was beat by Dooley. Tom Allen was also out coached at the beginning and certainly the end of that game.

I am looking at 2020 and his resume... not one game two seasons ago. But if we must, go back and watch it. His players did not execute and lost that game. We had to recover an on-sides kick to win it. Hardly coaching. We also had Fitz and his absence was missed more than anything next to Jennings this year. Last year we played until the end. This year we gassed out and lost leads. Regardless, Tennessee sucked this year while Indiana was runner up by one TD to OSU.

They were second in Big 10 East and put up 35 against OSU and lost by one TD. No other team put up that many points against OSU. Not even Clemson. And we want to hire Clemson’s OC over him?

I distinctly recall Bama scoring 52 against OSU.

I, too, think he is an excellent coach. I do not believe he is our best option, but he would be good nonetheless.

VN Store

Back