The Lane Kiffin Thread

Kiffin: Yes or No

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Kiffin is a good coach. No doubt. Can recruit and gets players excited. But he is unpredictable. If we hired him, we could be looking back at this point in a few years regretting it. He could potentially put us in hot water with the NCAA, which we already have enough of. But he also could make us great. Not sure White will be willing to take that risk.

Is winning 62% of his games great?

Had one season at Tennessee coming into a not ideal situation. Went to USC, where they were under sanctions. Did a really good job at Florida Atlantic, and now ole miss had one of the top offenses in the country in his 1st year. No, his HC career hasn’t been “great”. But he could become great, he just hasn’t been anywhere long enough to really determine that yet.

Yes, but that SOB will be on a short leash with the fans. And I’m not talking about wins and losses, that will take care of itself. I mean he better appreciate the fans and kiss our @$$’s. If a kid runs into Lane on the street and wants an autograph or a pic, by god he better put on a big smile and say cheese. If the ladies group at the local church wants him to make an appearance at their monthly luncheon, he better be 15 minutes early! He ripped the heart out of this fan base and would need tell us consistently how much he loves Vol nation and how we’re the best fans in the nation. And another thing, none of that Southern Cal BS, this is Tennessee and he better recognize it and I expect to see him in orange...lots of orange!
Ok, I’m done.
Yes, I would support Kiffin if he were to be hired.
GBO!!

How many "dream jobs" does Kiffin have? If he leaves Ole Miss after one season because UT is suddenly his "dream job", what is to prevent him from moving to at Top 10 school if one suddenly opens up. Hey, maybe the USC job will open up again!

The guy is already flirting with us after one year at Ole Miss. He's a serial philanderer, people.
So he’s Mike Gundy, but with more swagger and no mullet.
GBO!!

Then what are you worried about? Why is his belief that Kiffin could be in play so detrimental to you?
It's not his belief, it's the delusional belief of many here who think we could just get him just like that if we wanted him. It's the same delusion that we've had over the past several years of coaching searches which continue to embarrass us on a national level.

It's not his belief, it's the delusional belief of many here who think we could just get him just like that if we wanted him. It's the same delusion that we've had over the past several years of coaching searches which continue to embarrass us on a national level.
And again...how does his, or anyone else's opinion on that effect you?

It's one thing to believe Kiffin is a bad choice, but unless you know him or his agent arguing that he's not in play or we couldn't get him seems to be a strange hill to die on.

Do your thing buddy.

Had one season at Tennessee coming into a not ideal situation. Went to USC, where they were under sanctions. Did a really good job at Florida Atlantic, and now ole miss had one of the top offenses in the country in his 1st year. No, his HC career hasn’t been “great”. But he could become great, he just hasn’t been anywhere long enough to really determine that yet.
I'd love to have Kiffin, personally.

Reactions: RockyTop140
And again...how does his, or anyone else's opinion on that effect you?

It's one thing to believe Kiffin is a bad choice, but unless you know him or his agent arguing that he's not in play or we couldn't get him seems to be a strange hill to die on.

Do your thing buddy.
How does anything on this board effect any of us in any way?

How does anything on this board effect any of us in any way?
Fair question...so why spend your time trying to convince someone of something they don't agree with. More importantly why care enough about anyone else's perception to be "nationally embarrassed"?

Reactions: VolforFootball
Fair question...so why spend your time trying to convince someone of something they don't agree with. More importantly why care enough about anyone else's perception to be "nationally embarrassed"?
Because this is our University. If you care anything about it, then you wouldn't want to continue the same patterns that continue to plague us on a national level. Patterns that lead to us being laughed at, patterns that paint an even further negative light on our school in the eyes of recruits, patterns that have a tendency to self-destruct any hope of something positive happening for us. Perceptions matter.

Because this is our University. If you care anything about it, then you wouldn't want to continue the same patterns that continue to plague us on a national level. Patterns that lead to us being laughed at, patterns that paint an even further negative light on our school in the eyes of recruits, patterns that have a tendency to self-destruct any hope of something positive happening for us. Perceptions matter.
Doesn't appear so...considering we just nabbed a top-4 AD while facing NCAA punishment, and reportedly have the interest of several quality coaches. Perception isn't reality, so what does it matter?

I am an alum, and nearly 4 decade fan. I could not care less what a rival program, or some obtuse media turd thinks about this University. The fact is, enrollment is up, and everything else seems to be on the mend. Let 'em talk. Perceptions don't matter in reality.

Reactions: VolforFootball

It is if you look at where he's coached. 1 year at TN after following a 5-7 year that got Fulmer fired. Then went to USC, who just got nailed by the NCAA and was very shorthanded with the scholarship reductions and 2 yr bowl ban.. How he went 28-15 and never had a losing season while under sanctions and numerous scholarship reductions at USC was incredible. At Fla Atl he went 26-13, 2- 10+ win seasons and 1 losing season where he lost 3 starting QB's. His first year there he went 11-3 and won Conf USA..The prior year they were 3-9. In 9 years as a College HC he has had 1 losing season 5-7, when he lost numerous starting QB's. He's won 63% of his games. That's pretty great to me considering where he's coached and the adversity he faced at each stop. Imagine what he could do at a football school with no sanctions and time to get his own players at. Say what you want but Lane is a really good HC

Reactions: 'Boro-vol
But we are discussing whether we want for UT to hire him as a coach.
I do want for UT to hire him. Just doesn't seem like we could. Maybe in a couple of years.
Doesn't appear so...considering we just nabbed a top-4 AD while facing NCAA punishment, and reportedly have the interest of several quality coaches. Perception isn't reality, so what does it matter?

I am an alum, and nearly 4 decade fan. I could not care less what a rival program, or some obtuse media turd thinks about this University. The fact is, enrollment is up, and everything else seems to be on the mend. Let 'em talk. Perceptions don't matter in reality.

I guess we'll just have to agree to..... Agree. You're right.

I do want for UT to hire him. Just doesn't seem like we could. Maybe in a couple of years.

I guess we'll just have to agree to..... Agree. You're right.
Enjoy the ride....coaching searches are traditionally the highlight. Hopefully it keeps heading up this time.

VN Store

Back