Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everyone is always saying this person or that event is a “smokescreen.” It isn’t. Not a single time have we gotten a “smokescreen,” and there’s zero reason for there to even be one. People were convinced Butch was a damn smokescreen until he got off the plane.
What are they trying to hide? Nothing. They haven’t hired a coach yet. They’re likely doing interviews over the weekend

Reactions: volsnvikes
Campbell is still the dream. I would be A-OK with Fickell though. Very good HC. His OC hire would be very important.

I think most of us prefer an offensive coach, but a great coach is a great coach.

It is interesting though that we aren't really hearing anything about any black candidates. There weren't really any black candidates discussed for South Carolina, Auburn, Texas, etc. either. Next season will likely be the first season in a long time in which there isn't a single black head coach in the SEC.

Good point. I haven’t heard any female candidates either. Do we have any LGBT candidates on the list?

1611328669560.gif

Search firm will be working on new AD in short order.

while this investigation was going on a few of us were already hard at work on talking to possible coaches. I mean like weeks ago. But we have to keep the media out of this junk it hasn’t been good for the program. We still have to get through this investigation mind you...that is still hanging in the clouds above us.
Just saying. I'd be willing to bet that White has known about this job for weeks too and was getting a list together and laying ground work ahead of time.

Reactions: UTJoe
Campbell still feels like a pipe dream to me.

Fickell, on the other hand, can be won over. He *almost* took the Michigan State job last year. He is willing to move if the deal is right, and I believe he respects Danny White - they know each other from Ohio State and AAC meetings.

Would go against the "offensive mind" we're supposedly targeting, but maybe that's not a steadfast rule.
Fickell has done great things at UC, but I don't think Cincinnati is that hard of a job. It scares me with how he coached that UGA game. Also Marcus Freeman was hired by ND which would have been one of the main reasons to bring him.

Reactions: VOLED
I think the Rooney Rule has helped qualified black candidates get an opportunity to interview who otherwise would have been passed over. It has forced the mormalization of considering black candidates. Once they have their foot in the door, I dont thinkcthey should get any preferential hiring treatment based on race. The best person for job should be hired in every instance.
And I disagree. Many of the black candidates interviewed are an afterthought. I find it insulting. Maybe, maybe it served a purpose at first. But now, it's just a joke. How many times have you heard of a candidate being interviewed "just to satisfy the Rooney Rule"? I hear it a lot, and it seems demeaning IMO. It's like they're saying, "you don't really deserve this, but because you're black ...". It's like a perpetuation of passive racism.

Reactions: VOLED
Records: Iowa State coach Matt Campbell covering some of his staff's temporary salary cuts

Interesting read on Matt Campbell's salary situation. His salary is about $3.5M, but he was forced to take a COVID pay cut of nearly $500k, plus he is putting about $150k of his own salary to offset salary reductions to his assistant coaches. So all in, he was at about $2.85M this year. His salary pool for the staff was only $5M. Throw $7M/year and $10M for his staff at him and dare him to say no.

IMO...just smoke.

We have our man already.
It would take the wind out of hiring a guy like White. I’m hoping the boosters and admin have finally gotten it through their skulls that half measures are exactly what got us here. We need a home run coach not a double or even a triple and this may be the best chance we have had to do that in aeons. This time won’t come again soon and the decision they make is a make or break one for an entire generation of fans.

Basically talking about how UT isn’t a super attractive job right now
as he was talking, it's not really hard to get to the conclusion he, and pretty much everyone else, has arrived to given the situation. but the other side of that coin, as far as "attractiveness" is there's no where to go but up, everything is being "reset", so you get a chance to go in with a mostly clean slate to start. the roster issues, and investigation penalties will still suck, but if you want to paint a brighter picture as a coach, it's that actually buys you some time you may not normally have to recruit for the future, and do new/different things.

i guess my point is there's no arguing about our situation and what it is. but you're gonna have to decide how you want to look at it. Fulmer was right in the presser when he said this creates opportunity.

that means you're looking for guys that think a certain type of way and truly see it that way.......anyway.

Reactions: Jack Burton
After educating myself on Danny White and his uncanny ability to pick quality coaches, I am going to trust his pick regardless if it is someone low on the list like a Tony Elliott. Here is a good interview with Elliott where he fields questions for 20 minutes with no coach speak. Sounds well spoken and intelligent.

If the circumstances were different, I would love to have Tony Elliott. Coming off the Pruitt era, a former coordinator who couldn't get it done, I don't think now is the time for another coach learning on the job. I really like Tony Elliott and with his South Carolina background, I am shocked USCjr didn't make a bigger push for him. The Beamer era hasn't gotten off to the best start with the muscial chairs with their coaching staff.

Reactions: FBtime
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back