Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sonny Dykes, who had the #12 offense in the country this past season (ahead of Liberty) should get some consideration. Did a good job cleaning up after Dooley at La Tech, and now doing a good job of cleaning up after Chad Morris at SMU. What he did in developing Jared Goff at Cal was impressive as well, even if he didn't get the wins there (no one has won there in a very long time).

But with the way the game is going -- heavily towards explosive offenses and big time QBs -- he is worth consideration.

Sonny Dykes, who had the #12 offense in the country this past season (ahead of Liberty) should get some consideration. Did a good job cleaning up after Dooley at La Tech, and now doing a good job of cleaning up after Chad Morris at SMU. What he did in developing Jared Goff at Cal was impressive as well, even if he didn't get the wins there (no one has won there in a very long time).

But with the way the game is going -- heavily towards explosive offenses and big time QBs -- he is worth consideration.
If he cant/won't talk about hires. I dont think he would openly acknowledge the target tho.

Kiffin
Napier
Chadwell

Try it this way....Everyone has a favorite...is yours on this short list?

I like Napier-- have talked to him on the phone a couple times, he's a super good dude-- but I think if you put Pruitt at ULL two years ago they still go 10-2 or whatever. I just think Napier and Pruitt are sorta two sides of the same coin; above average coordinator from the Saban / Dabo tree who are good recruiters, except one was thrown into a spiraling situation in the SEC and the other largely avoided expectations of any kind in the Sun Belt. Not sure Napier would be the guy here.

More than anything, I hope I'm wrong about this situation, and maybe it's BVS, but I'll believe it when I see it:

What will happen with this search (because it happens with every UT search):

1. It'll take longer to hire an AD than most on this board think. They'll interview far more than just Gilbert and Ingram. You don't hire a firm to interview those 2.
2. All these big names will be on the "hot boards". They'll decline or leverage the situation for more money and sign extensions.
3. The "insiders" will push these big names, but they'll always stop short of guaranteeing anything (see Gruden mania). They'll talk about the big money we're ready to spend.
4. We'll end up with someone who's not on anybody's initial hot board.
5. The "insiders" will remind you that they never promised anything, and they'll blame the administration/boosters for botching it. "We had him" or "It was all but done" and then someone in the AD or school admin becomes the scapegoat.
6. We all get excited about the new hire and convince ourselves that he can get the job done, especially with the right staff.
7. He hires some assistants with UT ties or who are proven solid recruiters.

Again, I hope I'm wrong. I hope things are "different this time" but we've been down this road before. Time will tell.

I like Napier-- have talked to him on the phone a couple times, he's a super good dude-- but I think if you put Pruitt at ULL two years ago they still go 10-2 or whatever. I just think Napier and Pruitt are sorta two sides of the same coin; above average coordinator from the Saban / Dabo tree who are good recruiters, except one was thrown into a spiraling situation in the SEC and the other largely avoided expectations of any kind in the Sun Belt. Not sure Napier would be the guy here.
Except Napier is smarter i believe ..the way he's not jumping at these power 5 jobs so far. He runs his own show... Respect...He will end up at LSU in a few...

Reactions: Geaux_Vols
Did you watch auburn play?

Look I’ll be honest with you. To the naked eye I don’t know the difference between a 4-3 and 3-4.

for me to know I Have to know the personale.

meaning the 3-4 has two traditional heavy “LBs”
While the 4-3 has only 1 heavy “MLb”.

without knowing the roster I can’t tell the difference. And I ain’t ashamed to say it

imo all defenses these days are more hybrid anyway

More than anything, I hope I'm wrong about this situation, and maybe it's BVS, but I'll believe it when I see it:

What will happen with this search (because it happens with every UT search):

1. It'll take longer to hire an AD than most on this board think. They'll interview far more than just Gilbert and Ingram. You don't hire a firm to interview those 2.
2. All these big names will be on the "hot boards". They'll decline or leverage the situation for more money and sign extensions.
3. The "insiders" will push these big names, but they'll always stop short of guaranteeing anything (see Gruden mania). They'll talk about the big money we're ready to spend.
4. We'll end up with someone who's not on anybody's initial hot board.
5. The "insiders" will remind you that they never promised anything, and they'll blame the administration/boosters for botching it. "We had him" or "It was all but done" and then someone in the AD or school admin becomes the scapegoat.
6. We all get excited about the new hire and convince ourselves that he can get the job done, especially with the right staff.
7. He hires some assistants with UT ties or who are proven solid recruiters.

Again, I hope I'm wrong. I hope things are "different this time" but we've been down this road before. Time will tell.

Damn! Not because I think you're way off...but because I could definitely see it playing out this way. All 7 points. BVS is real.

What makes anyone think that since Bill O’Brien cleaned up one mess he’d want to do it again????

That would be motivation enough for me to NOT want to come to Tennessee.

I mean why would you come here for NCAA sanctions and to get yelled at regardless of what you do when you can go get yelled at regardless of what you do AND win games at Alabama.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back