Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not so sure about that. I think some AU booster types (specifically Yella Fella and potentially Harbert) were sick of Gus, and they wanted to give the job to Steele because they are buddies with him.

He definitely had a hand in Auburn's success, but I don't think he would have been a good coach there or here.

So they will plunk down $20M to get rid of Gus, to install friend Steele, without any hope of improving? Dang.

So they will plunk down $20M to get rid of Gus, to install friend Steele, without any hope of improving? Dang.
Yep, because that's what renegade boosters who have wallets bigger than their brains will do. We have boosters just like them. Especially the boosters who inherited their money and aren't self-made.

Kiffin is a hell of a ball coach but let’s be honest for a min. The guy left in the middle of the night and he and his staff told players not to go to class. If you think the older donor class is just going to sit back and let them bring him back without pulling money, you’re crazy as hell.

Don’t be griping when we are mediocre or below then.

Why do you say that? He had the #4 defense in the SEC last year. He can Recruit and he has loads of SEC Experience, He is a VFL. If he can get a good DC, OL Coach he will be OK. Ty Simpson already is excited to talk with him. I'd rather have the other guys but damn aint he better than Pruitt?

Reactions: tblakeshow
It will be really funny if Steele does decently well as interim. I'm not super jazzed about him, but trying to equate his performance at Baylor 20 years ago to the current place and time is silly. Obviously some AU booster types were willing to burn their place down to make him head coach, so somebody believes he had a role in AU's success and would perform better than Gus. I have no clue if he will, but given how broadly it is assumed he will fail here, it'll be fun to watch if he starts winning games.

College football silly season is extra silly this year. In just one month, Auburn boosters burned their house to the ground for him, and here we are burning our house to the ground, and he’s the calm steady objective force in all this that earned him the interim tag.

Reactions: radford and SSVol
Just like that week when Pruitt was allowed to hire Steele which meant him being fired wasn’t happening?
The more hires Steel makes the fewer of the next head coaches guys can be brought in. That's fine if you have a coach lined up who has checked off on those hires. Coaches want their guys, could make the job less attractive to coaches already on the fence.

The changes were not made to not bring in a team that is not considered a winning football combination.
Here we go. This is when you tell us how serious we are, we're going to find a winner! Big money has come to the table. And then we try and trot out Schia.. er.. Steele.

Kiffin is a hell of a ball coach but let’s be honest for a min. The guy left in the middle of the night and he and his staff told players not to go to class. If you think the older donor class is just going to sit back and let them bring him back without pulling money, you’re crazy as hell.
I want him back, but I told a buddy this earlier. He has literally cost a lot of these donors millions of dollars. You don't cost money men millions of dollars and get welcomed back with open arms.

If our history means anything, we will wildly overcorrect with this next hire, and get someone who is the polar opposite of Pruitt as HC, which virtually eliminates Steele right there.

Fulmer who had Steele as his 2nd choice behind egg man is leaving, we don't even have an AD yet who Plowman said will make the final coaching decision, but because Jimmy Hyams' tweet is vague yall are ready to actually kill yourself. What a weird use of time, go outside, let the process play out.
Actually, to be factual Steele was Fulmers first choice. Pruitt was Charlie Andersons choice.

If Steele ends up as HC , you cant slam the door shut on this program. Better buy a lot of black curtains to go around Neyland. Fulmer hired Steele and had plans on making him HC, probably another reason Fulmer was forced out.

Ahhhhh the black curtains...assuming you don’t miss buzz Peterson 👀😂

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back