2022 Target List

Nothing there screaming "priority addition", to me. Reminds me of Drew Pember, a bit. Not sure we need another one of those projects. We turned away Samson Ruzhentsev, last year, who seemed like a nicer player, to me.

Nothing there screaming "priority addition", to me. Reminds me of Drew Pember, a bit. Not sure we need another one of those projects. We turned away Samson Ruzhentsev, last year, who seemed like a nicer player, to me.
That particular video was certainly not impressive. I think the kid has a Kansas offer.

Rob Lewis making it sound very likely this kid is claiming offers that aren’t being made, Tennessee specifically.
Wouldn't surprise me. He doesn't look like a high major kid, to me. As I said in a prior post, he resembles Drew Pember in a lot of ways. Not sure we need two versions.

Wouldn't surprise me. He doesn't look like a high major kid, to me. As I said in a prior post, he resembles Drew Pember in a lot of ways. Not sure we need two versions.
Just to clarify and to be fair to the kid...

Rob Lewis came back with more info, Tennessee did contact him today and offered, however it was an assistant that was unaware Moore had been evaluated already multiple times and a decision was made not to offer him, Tennessee won’t be recruiting him going forward. Reading between the lines it sounds like maybe some attitude type stuff or character/for issues that were turned up and the head coach said we ain’t offering, this assistant today missed that memo.

I haven’t seen much talk about - Brandon Miller 5* SG/SF from Antioch, TN. I would think we would try to lockdown the elite talent in state. Any news here?

Rob Lewis came back with more info, Tennessee did contact him today and offered, however it was an assistant that was unaware Moore had been evaluated already multiple times and a decision was made not to offer him, Tennessee won’t be recruiting him going forward. Reading between the lines it sounds like maybe some attitude type stuff or character/for issues that were turned up and the head coach said we ain’t offering, this assistant today missed that memo.
Good to hear we aren't pursuing.

Good to hear we aren't pursuing.
Chris are u prejudiced toward in-state white basketball players ? Just messing with u, but Barnes recruits, at UT, now, in a whole different category of players that this kid can't compare to . BTW, I think Pember has way more game than this kid

Chris are u prejudiced toward in-state white basketball players ? Just messing with u, but Barnes recruits, at UT, now, in a whole different category of players that this kid can't compare to . BTW, I think Pember has way more game than this kid

I know you’re just joking, but this kid just seems like he’d be a huge project. If we’re going to get bigs, we need more impact players. Having 2 Drew Penney’s types on the roster means potentially 2 huge projects that might not work out. I’d rather scour the transfer market for a more sure thing. Hopefully BHH commits to us, too.

How can that stuff even happen? An assistant that doesn't know he had already been a no-go by his own staff?

How can that stuff even happen? An assistant that doesn't know he had already been a no-go by his own staff?
According to Rob Lewis it’s a result of COVID related things, essentially coaches not all together quite as much and also no live evaluations on the road where coaches may go together or come back and discuss their findings. I could be off but it sounded to me like someone from Tennessee evaluated him, got feedback from coaches/teachers about things other than his game and decided he’s not a fit. Another coach evaluated his game tape and made an offer without realizing he had already been wiped off the board.

Reactions: cardvolfan
I was actually ok with the Pember signing at the time as a flier you take in a class that included JJJ. He wasn’t the kind of kid you wanted as the headliner of your class, by any means.

This kid is much higher rated and has the better (alleged) offer list, but I just don’t see a need to duplicate our project player profile when we have such greater needs (an impact post player, an elite shooter, a defensive rim protector, an elite ball-handling guard). I’d put all those needs ahead of a project stretch forward with average ability, be he black or white, from Tennessee or Tanzania...makes no difference.

And while I think we see a lot of our targets come from deeper ponds, now, Barnes is still going to try and identify role players that he believes have high upsides and will be 3-4 year players. Not all of them are going to be 5*s and high 4*s. I think that is a lesson he learned in his last few years at Texas. Recruiting studs in the 1-and-done era, exclusively, isn’t a recipe for team chemistry, continuity, or an opportunity to coach up players. You have to have a blend of studs and role players. Upperclassmen leadership is still important. Look no further than UK and Duke, right now.

Let’s say Johnson, Springer, Pons, Fulk & Anosike are gone...Chandler comes back and James is still here, obviously no certainty...

Chandler
Vescovi/Bailey
James/Mashack/Gaines
Walker/Pember
ORN/Plavsic

These guys definitely are important moving forward...Edwards/Miller/BHH/Okpara/Tamba

Last edited:
Reactions: cncchris33
Full game highlights vs Brentwood Academy 3 weeks ago. #32 in white

Kid shoots really well. That is the only quality I noticed.

Plays smaller than 6'8" which means he is not a big. Outjumped repeatedly by smaller players and out quicked to the ball. Does not appear to have ball skills and qualities mentioned above makes defensive skills suspect. Has anyone seen a dunk?

Agree with the Pember comparison. Too much risk as a bench warmer like some we have now that we hope contributes by their senior year.

Reactions: cncchris33
Miller is a player. He's a 100% need for us to get.

I think you can tell a lot about a guy's shooting touch or potential based on the way they shoot FTs. He appears to have a soft touch. I don't know what his overall % is. Combine that with overall athleticism and size, and I think you have to try to land him.

Let’s say Johnson, Springer, Pons, Fulk & Anosike are gone...Chandler comes back and James is still here, obviously no certainty...

Chandler
Vescovi/Bailey
James/Mashack/Gaines
Walker/Pember
ORN/Plavsic

These guys definitely are important moving forward...Edwards/Miller/BHH/Okpara/Tamba
Hasn’t Anosike already said he’s coming back next year? Or did you mean this ^^ is the look of things after 2021-22 season

Last edited:

VN Store

Back