2022 Target List

Assuming we take Tamba and that Chandler & BHH leave for the NBA we have...

Vescovi
Powell/Bailey/Mashack
James/Q
ORN
Aidoo/Plavsic/Tamba

So 3 spots on paper, I’m sure we see a departure as always so 3-4 spots at least most likely to fill...

Edwards, Miller, Okpora seem like major targets and would hit some necessary spots of need.

Reactions: Volfan1000

Vescovi
Powell/Bailey/Mashack
James/Q
ORN
Aidoo/Plavsic/Tamba

So 3 spots on paper, I’m sure we see a departure as always so 3-4 spots at least most likely to fill...

Edwards, Miller, Okpora seem like major targets and would hit some necessary spots of need.

If Vescovi is considering leaving right now, wouldn't you think the odds of him being here past this upcoming season are pretty low?

Reactions: walkenvol
If Vescovi is considering leaving right now, wouldn't you think the odds of him being here past this upcoming season are pretty low?
I think the reasoning behind people thinking Vescovi could leave is because of Powell and Bailey taking away shots from him and Chandler taking away ball handling duties from him. If Chandler is gone after one year, Vescovi theoretically falls back into the PG role. Don't know if Bailey will be back after next season or not, which would free up Vescovi there, too.

Obviously, that doesn't take into account who UT lands in the 2022 class or adds as a transfer, but still.

Vescovi
Powell/Bailey/Mashack
James/Q
ORN
Aidoo/Plavsic/Tamba

I thought this next season will be Bailey’s last year?

I thought this next season will be Bailey’s last year?
Remember everybody gets an extra year of eligibility, not just this last season's seniors. Though he probably will just leave, would be his sixth year in college and he has not dreamed of playing basketball for UT his whole life and his last game will likely not involve him getting mugged and knocking him out of the postseason

The rumors around this year are due to PT being at a premium, I think with Chandler gone he would probably slide back into a starting PG role

Reactions: i2amavol
I just watched some Aidoo highlights. I’m not sure it’s completely bonkers to think that he is also one and done.
I’ve been trying to figure out how people see him only getting 10-15 minutes per game. He is 7 foot, has range, soft touch, moves well, and he brings rim protection.

I’ve been trying to figure out how people see him only getting 10-15 minutes per game. He is 7 foot, has range, soft touch, moves well, and he brings rim protection.

I think those people, myself included, are just taking a conservative approach with respect to the idea that he is still pretty raw and a lot of these weaker post moves won’t work in the SEC. He admits he needs to get stronger, as well. Plus the propensity for Barnes to defer to upperclassmen in the early going. That could drive Aidoo’s minutes down past what his perceived talent may dictate. I think he will also have to learn to defend without fouling, especially as a guy who goes after shots as a rim-protector. He does a good job at the prep level, but when guys are as big and stronger at the D1 level, can he maintain that same level of discipline, or will he overexert to narrow the athleticism/strength gap, and have it lead to some unnecessary fouls. A lot of kids coming in don’t often realize that an altered shot is sometimes just as effective as a blocked shot, and it leads to fewer fouls. Young kids coming think they have to get a hand on the ball to be effective and so they reach over the top, swing at the ball, etc, trying to make contact when at 7-0, just going straight up is sometimes enough to alter or discourage a shot.

First time I've seen him in action, and wow, I'm expecting him to play a big role in next year's squad. Things that stood out, starting with the obvious and oft-stated:

1. His shot-blocking ability. Yves Pons impacted the game so much with his shot-blocking, that other teams had to game-plan just for him. Yves made up for a lot of our defensive inefficiencies. Aidoo won't be guarding the perimeter much, but he'll certainly replace much of what we've lost with Yves.

2. His ability to finish with either hand. Very impressive, for a 7-footer still in high school. That tells me the kid is not lazy and has worked diligently to improve his game.

3. His well-rounded offense. He can shoot it from anywhere, has fairly refined post moves, and his stroke is smooth and his release quick. He shoots a little low on longer shots, but his height and quick release make up for that a bit. He also has a good awareness of his teammates and does a good job finding them.

3. He moves well for someone his height. Not a statue.

4. His handles are quite good for someone his size. He will easily be stripped in traffic due to dribbling high off the ground, but at least he doesn't look like he would fumble the ball on his own. That strip and driving the length of the court for a slam was impressive.

He seems like a finesse player, so I'll be interested to see if he can finish strong in the paint in the SEC. He definitely needs to add strength. Of course there's room for improvement, but he doesn't look like a project to me. I think he'll contribute immediately and may even work his way into the starting rotation if we go with a big lineup. Hopefully, he can make foul shots.

Film is great, but it's important to remember its film against a wide range of high school talent. It's a completely different ballgame competing in the SEC, as others have stated. I think we have a tendency to balloon expectations of our freshmen, so it's probably best to move forward with a cautious optimism.

Remember, Keon and Jaden came in arguably in much better shape to contribute early, and they did not crack the starting lineup till close to SEC play (if not in SEC play). I can't remember which. Not to mention it was a less than smooth transition for two guys now projected to go in the lottery. It's going to take some time for Aidoo to adjust, and he's going to be fighting for minutes with Fulky and BHH and likely an experienced transfer big man. Based on past experiences, it's easy to see how/why Barnes might slow-play Aidoo early on.

Film is great, but it's important to remember its film against a wide range of high school talent. It's a completely different ballgame competing in the SEC, as others have stated. I think we have a tendency to balloon expectations of our freshmen, so it's probably best to move forward with a cautious optimism.

Remember, Keon and Jaden came in arguably in much better shape to contribute early, and they did not crack the starting lineup till close to SEC play (if not in SEC play). I can't remember which. Not to mention it was a less than smooth transition for two guys now projected to go in the lottery. It's going to take some time for Aidoo to adjust, and he's going to be fighting for minutes with Fulky and BHH and likely an experienced transfer big man. Based on past experiences, it's easy to see how/why Barnes might slow-play Aidoo early on.
I agree. I just got the impression that he was kind of a project based on the way others were talking about him. To me, he looks far more skilled than most bigs we bring in.

Reactions: The Dog

He actually played a much more advanced than normal HS schedule this year and faced 7-8 DI prospects in the post and another 7 footer in Texas who is only a sophomore. So he's played against some big guys with talent in the post all season long. I think with how weak we are at the 5 he should get at least 15 minutes if not 20. But who knows how the rotation ultimately shakes out. He has great potential to be playing really well towards the end of the season. I think he's a much better prospect than Kyle and some others he's compared to on occasion.

He actually played a much more advanced than normal HS schedule this year and faced 7-8 DI prospects in the post and another 7 footer in Texas who is only a sophomore. So he's played against some big guys with talent in the post all season long. I think with how weak we are at the 5 he should get at least 15 minutes if not 20. But who knows how the rotation ultimately shakes out. He has great potential to be playing really well towards the end of the season. I think he's a much better prospect than Kyle and some others he's compared to on occasion.
I could see him as the 3rd option behind Fulky + BHH which could be around 15 to 20 mins.

VN Store

Back