The Grill and BBQ thread

Jerky and salmon candy...So had some Alaskan coho salmon and some Norway farmed salmon in the freezer that needed using from two years ago. Made an apple cider, sea salt and brown sugar brine. Went 3 hours for salmon candy and over night for jerky and rinsed then put in the aging fridge for 48 hours to get a nice Pellicle. Smoked approx 6 hours on a Texas offset smoker with apple and alder basting every 30 mins with maple syrup cider glaze. 615322FC-D233-400A-BFB0-BDE98CD7F248.jpeg18D92F72-FF76-4907-862F-8B428324E6CC.jpeg

Where do you live? I actually got this one from Costco
Asheville NC. We've never seen any tri-tips at the Costco in Greenville SC (yes, we have to drive out of state for a Costco...)

We've only found them around here at slightly foo-foo Earth Fare and uber foo-foo Fresh Market.

It's a cut that is just not very well known in the East, although that's starting to change. Skirt steak can be hard to find, too, at least at a decent price. It's weird how skirt and brisket used to be the cheap cuts/ poor people food. Not any more.

Asheville NC. We've never seen any tri-tips at the Costco in Greenville SC (yes, we have to drive out of state for a Costco...)

We've only found them around here at slightly foo-foo Earth Fare and uber foo-foo Fresh Market.

It's a cut that is just not very well known in the East, although that's starting to change. Skirt steak can be hard to find, too, at least at a decent price. It's weird how skirt and brisket used to be the cheap cuts/ poor people food. Not any more.
Oh wow I had no idea. I guess we take a lot of things for granted that we have easy access to

Reactions: VolNExile
Which ones are your favorites?
Ouch! Well, my problem is that I really hate hoppy beer, so I’m in a lot of trouble around here. I guess it would be Wedge, Green Man, Burial, Hi-Wire, Foothills for the local ones. Wicked Weed sold out to Anheuser-Busch InBev, and people are still pizzed. New Belgium and Sierra Nevada are here now, and Oskar Blues. NB is maybe a mile from our house.

Reactions: SDV
Ouch! Well, my problem is that I really hate hoppy beer, so I’m in a lot of trouble around here. I guess it would be Wedge, Green Man, Burial, Hi-Wire, Foothills for the local ones. Wicked Weed sold out to Anheuser-Busch InBev, and people are still pizzed. New Belgium and Sierra Nevada are here now, and Oskar Blues. NB is maybe a mile from our house.
NICE! I love hoppy, so I’d fit right in LOL

I don’t remember if I’ve seen them in local Ingles around here. If they are here, they must be awfully intermittent.
The one here usually has two or three a week. The butcher has cut them for me before too. I'd ask them, they're usually pretty good about requests.

Our local ingles supposedly does it, but the last time I asked for it there they tried to sell me chopped up stew meat. I have found it at a local butcher shop. They typically only get 2-4 a week depending on how many sirloin primals they go through a week. If you call ahead they will reserve them for ya to pick up.

Our local ingles supposedly does it, but the last time I asked for it there they tried to sell me chopped up stew meat. I have found it at a local butcher shop. They typically only get 2-4 a week depending on how many sirloin primals they go through a week. If you call ahead they will reserve them for ya to pick up.
Ah yes, tri-tip is not the same as “sirloin tips.” lol

VN Store

Back