How long have you followed/been a Vol football fan ?

Born in 1969, remember going to games with my dad in 79

Really thought Reggie White, Wille Gault & Anthony Hancock walked on water

You ?
Born in 1989. My first real memory of Vol football was beating Florida State in the national title game. Little did I know that would be the PEAK of Vol Football. Been a die hard ever since. Used to watch every single game with my dad. EVERY. SINGLE. Game. Until...the last couple of years. My dad has tuned out the Vols, which I something I never thought I would see. And even myself. Of the 10 games this year, I maybe actually watched 3 of them. Just completely disinterested with this guy Pruitt at the helm. I take it personally when I State I need this guy to go.

Since1963,in 66,I was a.freshman and lived in the brand new dorm,New Hall north(later named Reese.Hall in the presidential complex.In the fall of 67,lived in Gibbs Hall.as a member of the track team.Had good friendship with most of the football players.and have lived and died UT football and all UT sports since.

Born in 81, I can’t remember my first game because my dad would take me to the games growing up. He was born and grew up in Morristown TN so he’s been a fan his whole life as well.

Reactions: TheVolunteer002
I was born in 1992, and I've been a fan my whole life. The only memories I have of the 98 championship are on a camcorder video my parents had when we had a big watch party. Times were far simpler just 20 years ago it seems like.

I have some great memories as a kid watching the Vols play. I got to see a few really good teams. I specifically remember Clausen and Stephens lighting up the Gators in the swamp in 2001. It was one of the best games I'd ever seen. We had a resident Florida kid at school, which made for a good rivalry every year. Good times.

I was born in 1992, and I've been a fan my whole life. The only memories I have of the 98 championship are on a camcorder video my parents had when we had a big watch party. Times were far simpler just 20 years ago it seems like.

I have some great memories as a kid watching the Vols play. I got to see a few really good teams. I specifically remember Clausen and Stephens lighting up the Gators in the swamp in 2001. It was one of the best games I'd ever seen. We had a resident Florida kid at school, which made for a good rivalry every year. Good times.
Born in 1964 started off going with my uncle to the JV games I think they were on Wednesday when I was about 8/ since we were very poor I mowed 3 yards the next year all summer and bought my season tickets with that money. I grew up in sec N row 59 seat 13 and since my uncles seats were so close less than 50 seats away I didn't mind sitting by myself because I was part of big orange country and we always took care of each other.

Didn't start watching football till 1990. Actually started with NFL following NY Giants. It was a good year. Then started following Vols in 1991 watching UCLA game. After h.s. and 4 yrs in Army, moved back to Chattanooga area, enrolled in UTC. But transferred to flagship for last 2 years. So win or lose, I am am a VFL.

Reactions: TNHux
I was born in 1969. You couldn't drag me out of the woods when I was little, so I didn't follow football of any kind.

I remember staying with my grandmother one new years eve because my parents were hosting a party.

I remember going through the channels and coming across the 1986 Sugar bowl vs. Miami. The commentators were going on and on about Miami, and didn't give Tennessee a chance. Me being a native Tennessean, of course I was.going to root for the home team.

I watched and cheered with my grandma as Tennessee dismantled Miami.

Been hooked ever since.

Born in 1964 started off going with my uncle to the JV games I think they were on Wednesday when I was about 8/ since we were very poor I mowed 3 yards the next year all summer and bought my season tickets with that money. I grew up in sec N row 59 seat 13 and since my uncles seats were so close less than 50 seats away I didn't mind sitting by myself because I was part of big orange country and we always took care of each other.
That's one of the best qualities about our fans. They're strangers but a lot of them feel like family inside the stadium. I really got to know a lot of the people I was sitting around with our season tickets. Really great people. We still have those four seats in the family, and I get down there when time allows me to. Some of those same people are still there. They're all a little older, but we've known a lot of them since I was 2 feet tall so it's great still seeing a lot of them and catching up on life.

Born in 89, always went to home game against Kentucky as soon as I could walk. Can remember Kenny Chesney playing at halftime. The Manning years are as early as I can remember. Travis Henry, stephens and Jamal Lewis as running backs. Good times.

Its ingrained in my genes. I was born in 1959. My dad attended Tennessee in 1956 and Johnny Majors was his ROTC leader then. My dad also rode the walking horse on the sidelines for the 1979 homecoming game against Georgia Tech. My grandfather played for Tennessee in 1921, offense and defense.
First game I can remember watching was against Oklahoma in the 1968 Orange Bowl, we lost 26-24. Have been to 4 games, last was Music City Bowl in 2016 against Nebraska, we won.

Born 1951, my dad and uncle would take me to the games in the late 50s and 60s that was played in Memphis every year. One game a year was played in Memphis because of the UT Medical Center. First trip to Neyland was 70 or 71, to old to remember.

Born in 1959. As far back as I can remember I grew up hearing the cheers from Neyland Stadium on Saturdays. While I couldn't fully comprehend what was going on, I knew something special was happening.

Born in '57... family season tickets 'forever' but most poignant UT memories:
- One handed catch, back of endzone, by Lester McClain at GT.
- Pouring down rain, third row up behind the hedges, at GA.
- UT vs ALA on transistor radio in '64, building our barn with my older brother and dad as leaves fell on the third Sat in Oct.
- listening to 'hold that line' from back seat on car radio going back home on Saturday nights
- graduating in '81
- listening to UT vs LSU OT game on dial-up intra-web from hotel on Sunday morning in Taipai
- singing the Alma Mater next to my dad, at the last homecoming game he was alive for.

Interesting. Can't recall who won those games, and only one involved actually being in Neyland... so maybe its not ALL about wins and losses.

Born in 64. Vaguely remember games in early 70’s. First game I really remember is the 72 bama game. Grew up in Georgia before every game was on tv. Had to listen to a country music station ( wasn’t a country music fan back then) which gave an update every 15 minutes of SEC games to follow score. They had a reporter in every SEC stadium to give live updates. All my friends thought I was crazy.

Born in 1963. Went to first game in 1966. Dad finally got season tickets when the first upper deck was completed. Section RR row 25 seats 1-4. I still have some old stubs from the early 70’s. Tickets were $6.25 each or $25 for 4 seats. LOL. We lived in Memphis back then. Drove to Cookeville on Friday nights and stayed at the Rice Motor Lodge. Got up Saturday AM and got to Knoxville for the game and then back to Cookeville. Sunday’s were the drive back to Memphis. How could you not grow up a fan doing that every weekend? I used to sleep in the back window area of the 1954 Chevy Bel Air. Good times.

Born in 1959. The earliest I can remember being a Vol fan is 1964. Mom says it was before that but she can't remember how old I was. I know I wore a TN coat to daycare. Mom still has the pic. She said I slept in that coat during football season.

VN Store

Back