Lady Vols Basketball - Turnovers

Spook1

Ancient Vol
The Lady Vols lost the game due to turnovers. They blew a 17 point lead and lost the game. They committed 24 turnovers and Georgia scored 25 points off the turnovers. There appears to be no improvement in eliminating the turnovers....that blames goes directly to Coach Kelly Harper. If she would merely adopt the Coach Rick Barnes method on turnovers there would be drastic improvement. In practice with Coach Barnes, if there is a turnover, the player must run from the playing floor to the top of the arena and back...that gets attention and importance quickly. If you look at the turnovers by Horston and the resulting points by the opposition and the points that she scores...overall she does not contribute much. The Lady Vols will suffer more loses too. Pat Summit certainly would not tolerate all those turnovers either.

Invest in Pillsbury stock before this season is over:

Turnovers.png

Last edited:
Only watched first half and don't know all the players.

Who was #0? She appeared very lethargic and uninspired, just jogging up and down the court with no emotion or desire.

Asking for a friend.

The Lady Vols lost the game due to turnovers. They blew a 17 point lead and lost the game. They committed 24 turnovers and Georgia scored 25 points off the turnovers. There appears to be no improvement in eliminating the turnovers....that blames goes directly to Coach Kelly Harper. If she would merely adopt the Coach Rick Barnes method on turnovers there would be drastic improvement. In practice with Coach Barnes, if there is a turnover, the player must run from the playing floor to the top of the arena and back...that gets attention and importance quickly. If you look at the turnovers by Horston and the resulting points by the opposition and the points that she scores...overall she does not contribute much. The Lady Vols will suffer more loses too. Pat Summit certainly would not tolerate all those turnovers either.
Damn this pisses me off...Nice analysis.

Many of the turnovers were/are lazy passes, throwing the ball away on fast breaks, and not going toward the passer.
Oh, and tying to force the ball into the lane with our bigs covered like a blanket.

Reactions: jim43 and alexvol
What pissed me off was watching Hortson jog back on defense when she committed those turnovers giving up easy baskets. She didnt even try to stop them from scoring.

She did as did others at times including once under two minutes remaining. They do not hustle especially defensively as a team.

She isn’t alone but Suarez continues to be a turnover machine and slow to get back.

I have to wonder where their heads are? Disinterested play, knelling during the national anthem and now staying in the locker room during the anthem. Are they too woke to play?
It ALL lands at the feet of their "Head Coach". Blowing a 17 pt lead and losing to UGA at home for the first time since '96. Pathetic effort ALL around. Players, coaches... all of 'em. Any team that plays defense will DESTROY this "team". No heart, no hustle and no coaching.

What pissed me off was watching Hortson jog back on defense when she committed those turnovers giving up easy baskets. She didnt even try to stop them from scoring.
Noticed it at least 3 different times. I don't care how talented she is (and she is) or how much she is needed (and she is), she should have been behind the bench for the rest of the game.

Noticed it at least 3 different times. I don't care how talented she is (and she is) or how much she is needed (and she is), she should have been behind the bench for the rest of the game.

Horston had 6 turnovers and scored 11 points...if those 6 turnovers produced 12 points for Georgia and she only scored 11....her production is negative.

You are correct . I watched the presser and she said that she let them know about how they played at the end of the game. To bad she didn't have enough coaching knowledge to call a timeout in the third quarter, she is a terrible coach

She is our Wade watch candidate. She is supposed to be our go to player. I don’t believe she has to worry about serious consideration for the award. Miss Davis rarely shows up, however, stay tune and she might show up again some day. She is athletic and has good skill sets, however, thinking does not appear to be one of them. If the game is on the line, supposedly we need the ball in her hands. With a few seconds on the clock, 1 point down, Davis has an open shot at the elbow and she decides to pass the ball. If it were me, I would rather have the ball in Rae Burrell’s hands. We actually have the players to hang with just about any team in the SEC but, 7 years later, we still lack floor leadership.

She is our Wade watch candidate. She is supposed to be our go to player. I don’t believe she has to worry about serious consideration for the award. Miss Davis rarely shows up, however, stay tune and she might show up again some day. She is athletic and has good skill sets, however, thinking does not appear to be one of them. If the game is on the line, supposedly we need the ball in her hands. With a few seconds on the clock, 1 point down, Davis has an open shot at the elbow and she decides to pass the ball. If it were me, I would rather have the ball in Rae Burrell’s hands. We actually have the players to hang with just about any team in the SEC but, 7 years later, we still lack floor leadership.
I love Burrell but every single game she forces at least 5 bad shots in traffic. She dribbles uncontrollably multiple times. But dang she has a pretty shot.

Be interesting in the WNBA for Davis and Horston. They won't last long if they do this disappearing act in a WNBA game when they are getting paid to give their best efforts. Their talent alone won't carry them at this level. Horston has time to correct her style but I doubt it happening as Kelly allows it with no consequences. Sad to have such talented players and we don't see their best except in short glimpses.

Be interesting in the WNBA for Davis and Horston. They won't last long if they do this disappearing act in a WNBA game when they are getting paid to give their best efforts. Their talent alone won't carry them at this level. Horston has time to correct her style but I doubt it happening as Kelly allows it with no consequences. Sad to have such talented players and we don't see their best except in short glimpses.

That was said of Diamond and Mercedes too.
Don't fault the car if the driver isn't controlling the vehicle

Reactions: teacherdean
Actually, they lost the game due to pure and simple apathy. That leads to lack of hustle, poor passes, turnovers, etc. That is coach correctable, but there apparently is no coach that is willing to correct such apathy.

She is athletic and has good skill sets, however, thinking does not appear to be one of them.
I see it the opposite. I think Rennia thinks way, way too much. She's all up in her head, and when she gets down, she can't hide it. Doesn't have a poker face. Is quiet and not very aggressive by nature. Has never, ever been consistent. Sometimes brilliant, sometimes a nonfactor. Seems more underconfident and indecisive than pouty and uncaring to me. She's a microcosm of recent LV teams - just good enough to make the bad times really frustrating. Holly was never in a thousand years going to solve Rennia. Clock is running out of KJH. Maybe a WNBA coach?
I love Burrell but every single game she forces at least 5 bad shots in traffic. She dribbles uncontrollably multiple times. But dang she has a pretty shot.
She actually wasn't doing the wild thing much at all during her fantastic start to the season. Unfortunately, has gone back to forcing things the last couple of games. IMO, both she and Jordan H dribble way too much. I think its in search of creating their own shots, but too often it creates their own turnovers. Their dribbling freezes the other players who start standing around. I wish we crisp passed and cut more.
That was said of Diamond and Mercedes too.
Don't fault the car if the driver isn't controlling the vehicle
But if its two different drivers might it be the vehicle? Sometimes, like last night when the exact same ole problems continued to haunt us, I wonder if there's something systemically wrong, beyond head coaching.

I see it the opposite. I think Rennia thinks way, way too much. She's all up in her head, and when she gets down, she can't hide it. Doesn't have a poker face. Is quiet and not very aggressive by nature. Has never, ever been consistent. Sometimes brilliant, sometimes a nonfactor. Seems more underconfident and indecisive than pouty and uncaring to me. She's a microcosm of recent LV teams - just good enough to make the bad times really frustrating. Holly was never in a thousand years going to solve Rennia. Clock is running out of KJH. Maybe a WNBA coach?

She actually wasn't doing the wild thing much at all during her fantastic start to the season. Unfortunately, has gone back to forcing things the last couple of games. IMO, both she and Jordan H dribble way too much. I think its in search of creating their own shots, but too often it creates their own turnovers. Their dribbling freezes the other players who start standing around. I wish we crisp passed and cut more.

But if its two different drivers might it be the vehicle? Sometimes, like last night when the exact same ole problems continued to haunt us, I wonder if there's something systemically wrong, beyond head coaching.

One word,,,,Alpha

Reactions: chuckiepoo
But she's not, and not likely ever to be. Does one have to be an Alpha to be an outstanding player? Can you have a determined mindset and focus without being "Alpha"? I think you can.

The majority of your writing was about Rennia, your end-question wasn't. It was about the vehicle and the system.

"...But if its two different drivers might it be the vehicle? Sometimes, like last night when the exact same ole problems continued to haunt us, I wonder if there's something systemically wrong, beyond head coaching. "

In coaching, just like in the team itself, you have to have a mix of personalities. I know I do. When I am coaching a team I have to have one assistant on my team who can coddle players. A trait I simply don't have. I can be sincere and caring re player's situational problems or happenings, but to be a daily "bless your heart" coach isn't in me. For me to not fill that void is for me to leave a communicational gap in my staff.

I have yet to see the trait I possess in a coach on either her staff or this one.

When a player does something stupid and has to be subbed and walks back to the bench, I have yet to see them "spoken to" or stared down, in the way Coach Summitt would have done so. . . NO player will come back to my bench without an interaction by me if the reason they were coming to my bench was for something stupid or contrary. They would get my "constructive criticism" or full on gaze!

Once again , you're assuming no public display of correction equals no correction. Like many other posters, you want visible, public staring down, etc that all viewers can live vicariously through. I'm mad about the stupid, lazy pass so I really want to see the coach give her the dressing down I would give if I could. Means less than nothing toward actual instruction or correction. All showboating. The best coach I ever had felt correction never happened during games. Adjustments yes, but correction was for film session and practice. If you haven't learned it by game time he'd say, you aren't going to learn it right now.

I'd be surprised if any player at this level did not know exactly the reason they are being subbed for, whether its situational, for a rest, or for a miscue. I rarely see them benched without a word, and if that does happen, maybe that's the correctional message. I hated being subbed for without a word or a glance from the coach and usually trudged straight to the end of the bench when that happened. Message delivered.

Reactions: Bret178
Once again , you're assuming no public display of correction equals no correction. Like many other posters, you want visible, public staring down, etc that all viewers can live vicariously through. I'm mad about the stupid, lazy pass so I really want to see the coach give her the dressing down I would give if I could. Means less than nothing toward actual instruction or correction. All showboating. The best coach I ever had felt correction never happened during games. Adjustments yes, but correction was for film session and practice. If you haven't learned it by game time he'd say, you aren't going to learn it right now.

I'd be surprised if any player at this level did not know exactly the reason they are being subbed for, whether its situational, for a rest, or for a miscue. I rarely see them benched without a word, and if that does happen, maybe that's the correctional message. I hated being subbed for without a word or a glance from the coach and usually trudged straight to the end of the bench when that happened. Message delivered.

Coaches who yell and berate their players are a dime a dozen and worthless. It doesn't take a public display to get a point across...A whisper of the right words can be much more effective. But no action at all can equally be seen as a weakness...Right now, the only message "being delivered" is by the players

Coaches who yell and berate their players are a dime a dozen and worthless. It doesn't take a public display to get a point across...A whisper of the right words can be much more effective. But no action at all can equally be seen as a weakness...Right now, the only message "being delivered" is by the players
One more try - you do not know that no action is being taken nor no message is being delivered from coaches to players. All you know is you aren't being allowed to see/hear it. Two very different things. Maybe KJH is a screamin' demon in practice or in private meetings. IMO its a mistake to think what us average fans see is all there is. You have zero legit basis to say the only message being delivered is by the players.

One more try - you do not know that no action is being taken nor no message is being delivered from coaches to players. All you know is you aren't being allowed to see/hear it. Two very different things. Maybe KJH is a screamin' demon in practice or in private meetings. IMO its a mistake to think what us average fans see is all there is. You have zero legit basis to say the only message being delivered is by the players.

I know a hell of a lot more than you think...that is of course, when you DO think!

VN Store

Back