Lady Vols Basketball - Turnovers

One more try - you do not know that no action is being taken nor no message is being delivered from coaches to players. All you know is you aren't being allowed to see/hear it. Two very different things. Maybe KJH is a screamin' demon in practice or in private meetings. IMO its a mistake to think what us average fans see is all there is. You have zero legit basis to say the only message being delivered is by the players.

Doesn't matter when no correction is being given during games when it would be in time to be of use. Which is the point.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
One more try - you do not know that no action is being taken nor no message is being delivered from coaches to players. All you know is you aren't being allowed to see/hear it. Two very different things. Maybe KJH is a screamin' demon in practice or in private meetings. IMO its a mistake to think what us average fans see is all there is. You have zero legit basis to say the only message being delivered is by the players.
this must be when they're getting
tenor.gif

I see it the opposite. I think Rennia thinks way, way too much. She's all up in her head, and when she gets down, she can't hide it. Doesn't have a poker face. Is quiet and not very aggressive by nature. Has never, ever been consistent. Sometimes brilliant, sometimes a nonfactor. Seems more underconfident and indecisive than pouty and uncaring to me. She's a microcosm of recent LV teams - just good enough to make the bad times really frustrating. Holly was never in a thousand years going to solve Rennia. Clock is running out of KJH. Maybe a WNBA coach?

She actually wasn't doing the wild thing much at all during her fantastic start to the season. Unfortunately, has gone back to forcing things the last couple of games. IMO, both she and Jordan H dribble way too much. I think its in search of creating their own shots, but too often it creates their own turnovers. Their dribbling freezes the other players who start standing around. I wish we crisp passed and cut more.

But if its two different drivers might it be the vehicle? Sometimes, like last night when the exact same ole problems continued to haunt us, I wonder if there's something systemically wrong, beyond head coaching.
Just because Davis thinks too much does not mean she has the right thinking process for the moment.

Reactions: sccshortstop
speaking of thinking too much, our stat keepers weren't thinking enough.
I have to redo my turnover log, I found a couple of errors in watching the game and tracking the turnovers
One was even given to a player who was sitting on the bench

Reactions: chuckiepoo
The majority of your writing was about Rennia, your end-question wasn't. It was about the vehicle and the system.

"...But if its two different drivers might it be the vehicle? Sometimes, like last night when the exact same ole problems continued to haunt us, I wonder if there's something systemically wrong, beyond head coaching. "

In coaching, just like in the team itself, you have to have a mix of personalities. I know I do. When I am coaching a team I have to have one assistant on my team who can coddle players. A trait I simply don't have. I can be sincere and caring re player's situational problems or happenings, but to be a daily "bless your heart" coach isn't in me. For me to not fill that void is for me to leave a communicational gap in my staff.

I have yet to see the trait I possess in a coach on either her staff or this one.

When a player does something stupid and has to be subbed and walks back to the bench, I have yet to see them "spoken to" or stared down, in the way Coach Summitt would have done so. . . NO player will come back to my bench without an interaction by me if the reason they were coming to my bench was for something stupid or contrary. They would get my "constructive criticism" or full on gaze!
That Stare, rec...

Just because Davis thinks too much does not mean she has the right thinking process for the moment.
My point, in answer to the insulting and inane assertion that thinking is not a skill Davis excels at, is that the LVs as a whole think way too much, especially on offense. Nothing comes reflexively or naturally, its dribble and think, dribble some more, stand, stand, stand, then force, force, force. Crisp cuts and passes are almost never the result of oncourt thinking.

My point, in answer to the insulting and inane assertion that thinking is not a skill Davis excels at, is that the LVs as a whole think way too much, especially on offense. Nothing comes reflexively or naturally, its dribble and think, dribble some more, stand, stand, stand, then force, force, force. Crisp cuts and passes are almost never the result of oncourt thinking.

agree

Thinking should be done when furthest away from the ball. Once you have the ball, reacting to the situation is the desired skill. Knowing your teammates tendencies re movement and setting screens, seeing driving lanes developing AS they happen and often even, before they happen...I have a phrase, stolen from "A League of their Own" and personalized,,,"There's no thinking in basketball". The time for thinking is while inbounding the ball where there is no pressure,,,during timeouts and stoppages, etc....Other than that it is your ingrained instincts and reactions that guide you.

If you have to take time to think about what you are going to do, the opening you have, will already be closing....

A boxer who was retiring was once asked how did you know it was time to hang u p the gloves?
He replied, "because I saw an opening"
The reporter asked, ?How did that tell you to retire?
The boxer replied, "Because I "saw it", in my prime I would have hit it!

Same with basketball, if you see an opening, someone else has too and it is already starting to close

I really hate that we lost. But let's be honest. CKH is having to coach some HW out of these girls. Let's hope this is a learning experience to.not let off the gas. Up 17 this team appeared to relax and think it was a cake walk to the finish line. Hopefully it helps grt a tough road win today and a huge upset at home. A win over UCONN everyone forgets Georgia winning a TBA. And yes we have the talent to beat UCONN. But they have to fight and scrap every possession.

Reactions: teacherdean
To each his own just because a person is an over thinker does not make it a good skill set. It is ridiculous to think otherwise. I have coached several athletes who were great athletes but lack the ability to think in the moment. They were too busy thinking what if. Good athletes who are good thinkers most of the time have an idea what they are going to do when the game is on the line. They want the ball in their hands. If you have ever coached you crave athletes that think positive no matter the moment.

VN Store

Back