TIFWIW from a source reasonably close to Athletics

I heard Grudens property was on the market, so ....

While East TN holds a special place in my clients heart, his focus is solely on making the Las Vegas Raiders a playoff team.

That and getting extensions and raises.

So...yes...Jon has sold some property but is looking at options closer to campus to cut down on drive time. Maybe.

Let me jump in and say Jamey Chadwell would be a very respectable choice. Plus it is being reported here in upstate SC that there is a very strong likelihood that Grayson McCall would very likely come with his coach. Chadwell has built programs, has been a winner everywhere he has coached, his wife grew up in Athens Tenn, and given a reasonable time, I believe he has the potential to be a generational hire......could be in place for 10+ years. I hope, hope this is true.
I'm not sure if you meant to use blue font, but if not, this is hilarious...it was nearly verbatim of the spew of garbage posted on here about Butch jones.

I have no inside friends providing any inside information, so take this for what it is worth: Any conversation about having a coach hired that will not take over until after the 2021 season is just incorrect.

In the first place, you cannot hire someone at a public institution that is planning to start in a year and nobody know about it.

In the second place, and we have seen this time and again, too much can happen in that year to either of the coaches involved. If Pruitt, by some miracle of miracles, went 10-2 next year, he would not be fired. If Chadwell went 10-2 next year and was on everyone's list to be hired, who knows if he would not want to take a job somewhere else. What would happen if someone UT really wanted also expressed an interest in coming that was better than Chadwell, like say, Hugh Freeze, or Tom Herman or dare I say it, Jon Gruden? (no, I don't think Gruden would ever be interested)

I am not suggesting Chadwell should not be the coach. But he, nor anyone else, is going to accept a job that does not start for a year.

I think it is safe to say that Pruitt will be fired before there is a coach hired. It may happen in the same day, but certainly not a year later.

While East TN holds a special place in my clients heart, his focus is solely on making the Las Vegas Raiders a playoff team.

So...yes...Jon has sold some property but is looking at options closer to campus to cut down on drive time. Maybe.

a16f59110c5931d2af578d69f53fc2fa.gif

I have no inside friends providing any inside information, so take this for what it is worth: Any conversation about having a coach hired that will not take over until after the 2021 season is just incorrect.

In the first place, you cannot hire someone at a public institution that is planning to start in a year and nobody know about it.

In the second place, and we have seen this time and again, too much can happen in that year to either of the coaches involved. If Pruitt, by some miracle of miracles, went 10-2 next year, he would not be fired. If Chadwell went 10-2 next year and was on everyone's list to be hired, who knows if he would not want to take a job somewhere else. What would happen if someone UT really wanted also expressed an interest in coming that was better than Chadwell, like say, Hugh Freeze, or Tom Herman or dare I say it, Jon Gruden? (no, I don't think Gruden would ever be interested)

I am not suggesting Chadwell should not be the coach. But he, nor anyone else, is going to accept a job that does not start for a year.

I think it is safe to say that Pruitt will be fired before there is a coach hired. It may happen in the same day, but certainly not a year later.
You misinterpreted the post. If Pruitt is fired there is talk of Chadwell being the replacement. If Pruitt is brought back for next year which is more than likely the case then obviously no hire will take place. Not insinuating Tennessee is planning a year in advance. Contingency plans are necessary when no one for sure knows how this investigation will play out. Investigation does not implicate Pruitt then he will be back, if it goes wrong then we are all screwed and no good coach wants to come here and work through sanctions. Chadwell is in discussion for doing that even through any sanctions.

Why does everyone want this guy? Because he had 1 good season at a mid-major? I looked at his resume and he has never coached at a Power 5 school at any position. You think if we do another project hire it will work out like it did the last 3 times? No. We need to hire a proven winner at a power 5 level (Freeze, Gus, Herman, etc). I don't care if the dude is from Tennessee. I hope he does well, but Tennessee needs to wake up and hire a proven winner.

Why does everyone want this guy? Because he had 1 good season at a mid-major? I looked at his resume and he has never coached at a Power 5 school at any position. You think if we do another project hire it will work out like it did the last 3 times? No. We need to hire a proven winner at a power 5 level (Freeze, Gus, Herman, etc). I don't care if the dude is from Tennessee. I hope he does well, but Tennessee needs to wake up and hire a proven winner.
I agree we need a proven a winner, and I am not necessarily advocating for Chadwell. 3 you listed would be my top guys, but outside of Freeze the other 2 won't come here if we have sanctions, which is seemingly the only way Pruitt is not here next year so I would say slim to none we ever see either of them playing for the good guys.

I spoke with a friend who currently works at the University and is connected well with those in athletics. Apparently the feeling is that they would have liked to stay with Pruitt for 5-6 years but now we are too far gone with Pruitt, but need a reasonable exit strategy that works for all parties. More than likely he will be here next year but there also has been a name being discussed the past couple days for replacement...Jamey Chadwell, who also coincidentally is originally from East Tennessee. Now I do not know how far along this is, or even if it is only speculation at this point.

Now I don't claim to be an insider, nor do I regularly get info, but this friend has given me accurate info in the past. Really I am just as tired of not hearing anything as everyone else is, so I figured I would post the littlest bit that I heard. I am sure I will catch crap from the board as VolNation typically does to people, but that's all i got.
Thank you for your input.I'm way down here in Largo Florida trying to figure out what in the ding ding hades happened to my Vols since I retired.

Reactions: DougAtkins91
The dude actually said he isn't an insider. He clearly stated that it was some info passed along to him that he had no way to verify, but thought some of us might find it interesting. He also predicted, in true VN tradition, he'd be flamed for it. Maybe it's just another empty rumor, but hey, I found it interesting. Beats another thread slamming Pruitt.
I TIFWIW IMO :cool:

I know that it isn't an apples to apples comparison, but to me Chadwell is like Bruce Pearl was before UT hired him. He had success at smaller schools, and they took a flier on him based upon potential. Chadwell has won three conference titles at his prior stops, and has shown the ability to build a program into a winner. Can he do it in the SEC? No one will know until it happens, but he took a team picked to finish last in their conference and severely over achieved.

Reactions: backdoorcutvol
Let me jump in and say Jamey Chadwell would be a very respectable choice. Plus it is being reported here in upstate SC that there is a very strong likelihood that Grayson McCall would very likely come with his coach. Chadwell has built programs, has been a winner everywhere he has coached, his wife grew up in Athens Tenn, and given a reasonable time, I believe he has the potential to be a generational hire......could be in place for 10+ years. I hope, hope this is true.

He would be a decent hire. Nothing to write home about. As soon as he suffers his first blowout loss, you know it will be time to fire him. I don’t care what his ties are to TN. Given reasonable time? What’s that mean? Since he has experience he should get less time than Pruitt. So Chadwell would have 2 years right?

I just don’t see him being any better than maybe 7-8 wins a year. Of course maybe that’s what our expectations should be now.

You misinterpreted the post. If Pruitt is fired there is talk of Chadwell being the replacement.....

Sorry about that. However, I still stand behind the reasons why an AD may have a short list of people to call, but all the reasons I mentioned are why no coach would agree as part of a contingency plan. We may decide he is who we would want to call first, but I would be shocked if there was any conversation with him this year about how that conversation might go next year.

Why in the world would a one year wonder with a offense that none of our players are recruited to play in, even be on our potential hiring list. He has not been at a major college and never hired a power 5 coaching staff. My guess is he’s not on any list for a position that is not yet open. 👎

Just so I'm clear, are you his sports agent or real estate agent? Asking for my real estate friend.

VN Store

Back