Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fisher is intriguing. I thought Herm Edwards would not work in college, but IMO Fisher would be much better than Edwards. Fisher would have good connections in Nashville
I agree, I thought Herm would be a complete bust. I'm torn on Fisher but he could work out very well.

Reactions: Ace and gainesvol82
A bridge hire scenario becomes more likely when you wait and wait, fire late and are forced to go further down your list than you ever imagined. We've done that several times. I'd hate to see us do it again. We have to be smarter this time.
Would we be better off waiting a year by appointing an interim giving us more time for the dust to settle and work on a replacement the entire year? It appears from your post that you think it's a forgone conclusion that Pruitt is all but done.

Reactions: volsfan_17
I have spent time with him, and know he’d do a much better job than Fulmer. He actually understands the business side of athletics and has great connections in the industry, but yes he does “talk good”.
He was also a Asst. AD at Stanford and worked for the Olympic development organization so he has admin experience.

I have a feeling Fisher would be an absolute monster on the recruiting trail. Could potentially be a grand slam hire.

Very personable guy and I think he would kill in kids homes and with parents. He has so many connections and experiences that they are looking for. Perhaps the biggest piece is his Nashville connections to all those former players still in area that have kids and connections to other kids in that area that is growing.

I’d have to see his staff though. It would be interesting if he could get a Gus to run his offense since his son played at Auburn and he knows him well

Well, this board doesn't make decisions for UT.

Plenty of first-time HCs stabilize programs-- just not the one we hired. Like many, I thought Pruitt was a red-flag hire, but the thinking was he would grow into the role with guidance.
Hiring someone, and then hoping they grow into the role you hired them for is not stabilizing. In fact, it is the opposite of stabilizing.

If you are saying they hoped Pruitt would one day be a great coach, and having a great coach would be stabilizing, I mean... Okay. You can say that about any hire. But when people are talking about hiring a "stabilizing coach", they mean hiring someone who knows how to run a massive program from day one with little to no learning curve. That is not even close to what Pruitt was.

Joe Brady must be a savant. Dude is about to go from Offensive Assistant for the Saints to NFL Head Coach in 3 years. I would pay big money to just sit and have a few beers with him and talk football or just have him breakdown film for me.

I want him to look at my resume and coach me through interviews. That’s a hell of a jump

Reactions: Bruce Wayne
Pruitt was a bridge hire. Bring him in, give him what he needs and, at least, he'll stabilize the program and build a roster for the next guy, they thought. Repeating a failed strategy probably isn't the way to go.

We don't need bridge hires. We need get it done guys.

How do we get there powers that be to think like this? Cause they sure as hell haven't been for more than a decade!

We will know whether or not Pruitt is the coach by September at least
If he makes it to spring practice he is here for the fall. Maybe even NSD means he is here for next year. The dam*n admin and boosters need to make the decision now, Go ahead and fire him today,and then argue about the buyout when the investigation is complete.

We have several VFLs with strong sports administration experience - Mark Ingram AD at UAB and Davis. Even Gerald Harrison at Austin Peay would use to follow Fulmer and make sure Fulmer did not trip over headphone cables.

Pruitt was a bridge hire. Bring him in, give him what he needs and, at least, he'll stabilize the program and build a roster for the next guy, they thought. Repeating a failed strategy probably isn't the way to go.

We don't need bridge hires. We need get it done guys.
THANK YOU.

Bridge hires aren't a real thing. There's no point at which you can fire a guy going 8-4, 9-3 etc and keep player stability. More than likely they will have a bad year, players leave, and it's another total restart (see: Butch). Auburn had this for 8 or whatever years and still landed way down on their list.

The "bridge coach" concept is not reality.

Reactions: InVOLuntary
My only hope is that the admin has been working behind the scenes and has somebody lined up. I see no way Pruitt comes back, especially when we've essentially knee capped him at this point. I hope they've learned that a prolonged and public search is not the way to go. There are a lot of good coaches out there right now that I think would take the UT job and there is no competition right now. This should be a layup.

This is UT though, so who knows what they're thinking or what is ultimately going to happen.

Reactions: UTwild82
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back