Lady Vols - National Anthem

Makes no never mind if you are black,brown,yellow ,pink or orange disrespect to the flag and our Country should not be made.
Kneeling is not disrespectful. That is just a cover whine for those who don’t want to address the issue.
We should probably just agree to disagree as this topic starts veering to a political discussion.

There will come a time that EVER HEAD will bough and EVERY KNEE will bend ! I read that somewhere? 🙏

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
Kneeling is not disrespectful. That is just a cover whine for those who don’t want to address the issue.
We should probably just agree to disagree as this topic starts veering to a political discussion.

Honestly it is, IMO that’s the point though. If it wouldn’t ruffle any feathers what’s the point?

I approve of them making a statement to stand up for themselves. Doesn’t mean we have to agree with how it was done, but we can be empathetic and respectful to the cause.

I was just about to say the same thing and recommend further discussion on the topic be taken to the politics forum. It's a valid topic.

Until that happens, my quick view is that I support their First Amendment rights while disagreeing with the choice of venue.

I also respectfully submit that if a player wore an anti-abortion shirt during warmups and knelt during the anthem to call attention to that issue, that player would be censured in some way by the university.

(Unless that player was a first-team AA, of course).

Reactions: Benionsopinion
Kneeling for the National Anthem is disrespectful to our Nation and the millions who have served to keep our country free.They will lose support of thousands of people if they keep that up .If they want to protest do it on their own time and away from the Court.Go outside the University complex on their own to express whatever displeasure they have with whomever.

Do you know why they are kneeling ? do you ?

Honestly it is, IMO that’s the point though. If it wouldn’t ruffle any feathers what’s the point?

I approve of them making a statement to stand up for themselves. Doesn’t mean we have to agree with how it was done, but we can be empathetic and respectful to the cause.
I feel like it is not showing disrespect. To me it is saying that our country needs to keeping working towards reaching the promises of the constitution.
In many ways this is an optimistic view of America. We can do better, our union can keep moving towards perfection.
I truly look forward to my generation stepping aside and letting younger folks with new ideas and energy take the reins.

The players understand kneeling for the national anthem is disrespectful. That’s why they did it. They wanted to draw attention to how they felt about the events in our country over the last few days. They feel so strongly about what is happening and that is one of the few ways to really get your point across these days. Actions, as always, speak much louder than words.

I personally would NEVER, ever, kneel for the anthem. That does not mean I can’t be empathetic to the plight of young black people in this country. You can be a conservative, love your country and still respect other’s position and opinions without hating them.

Spot on and well said

I served in the US Army and feel a sense of disrespect for anyone who burns, disgraces or in any way disrespects the nation's symbol. But as @VolBall09 says, they are not doing this to disrespect the flag, they are doing it to bring attention too injustice. These players are making a request to this nation. The origin of kneeling to pray comes from the practice of kneeling before a king in petition for a request. This tradition was a symbol of humbleness and honor when coming before a king or ruler.

Kneeling has never been a sign of disrespect.
Luke 22:41 And He withdrew from them about a stone’s throw, and He knelt down and began to pray
"He" .. was Jesus

oh no plzzzz dont start this they havent kneeled all szn instead locking arms during the anthem ..they kneeled yesterday becuz of the actions in DC (the ppl who where actually disrespectful to the flag)and Emily's dad who is a VETERAN supported the girls decision and HIS DAUGHTERS decision to do so... hell Marta and Jessie arent even a US Citizens and probably know little about American politics but she kneeled with her sisters lets not get political they made a statement and they may not kneel again.......want to add that this statement was in the moment really one player kneeled and they looked at each other and they all kneeled together except for Tess (I respect her decision)
i.jpeg

Last edited:
Spot on and well said

I served in the US Army and feel a sense of disrespect for anyone who burns, disgraces or in any way disrespects the nation's symbol. But as @VolBall09 says, they are not doing this to disrespect the flag, they are doing it to bring attention too injustice. These players are making a request to this nation. The origin of kneeling to pray comes from the practice of kneeling before a king in petition for a request. This tradition was a symbol of humbleness and honor when coming before a king or ruler.

Luke 22:41 And He withdrew from them about a stone’s throw, and He knelt down and began to pray
"He" .. was Jesus

Thanks for giving a Educational in sight on this issue.

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
Ya never know.

I'm from Lynchburg Va. Got a friend who works at Liberty in some significant capacity who out of nowhere told me he had talked to an assistant coach who told him Freeze to TN was a done deal and the coach was all upset.

Hey I know that coach too! His name is Ima Stoopid.

Oh f*** off with your self righteous pearl clutching over kneelers, especially after what your anti-kneelers just did.

Go cry in the corner with your faux outrage.

You will find several of those rioters are the same Antifa that burned our cities and all the kneelers were ok with that. Antifa is a big problem but so few actually research before posting and Twitter. But it’s starting to be reported now.

Most of Tennessee Lady Volunteers players kneel during national anthem in wake of Capitol riot

Most of Tennessee's women's basketball players opted to kneel during the national anthem before Thursday's home game against Arkansas, a decision senior Rennia Davis said was "made in the moment."

"We thought that with everything going on -- especially here recently in Washington and everything, that's what we saw fit to do," said Davis, who had 26 points in the Lady Volunteers' 88-73 victory over the No. 13 Razorbacks.

"The people on the team who saw fit to support that, they did. And the ones who didn't, they supported us in a different way."

View attachment 337431

Junior Rae Burrell, who also scored 26 points in the victory, said the players were inspired by how WNBA players engaged in social activism during their season last summer.

The Tennessee coaching staff did not kneel, and coach Kellie Harper said the players' decision wasn't discussed with the staff. But she supported her players.

"I think a lot of it is just the emotions of what's going on right now and where they are with things," Harper said.

"We were educating each other, ourselves, staff players, our Black players, our white players, our international players -- everybody was educated this summer, and we shared a lot," Harper said. "And it was good for us, because it gave us a really good understanding of the person sitting next to you -- where she's coming from, and what her background is. Those discussions were really good. They were difficult at times, but that's OK."

Harper said she knows some fans will disagree with players' decision, but she is proud of how the players have handled themselves and their emotions.

Lady Vols kneel during anthem after D.C. riot

Yawn

Reactions: 508mikey
Kneeling for the National Anthem is disrespectful to our Nation and the millions who have served to keep our country free.They will lose support of thousands of people if they keep that up .If they want to protest do it on their own time and away from the Court.Go outside the University complex on their own to express whatever displeasure they have with whomever.
Peacefully kneeling, compared to raiding the Nations capitol, and you talking about being disrespectful? Come on MAN!

Spot on and well said

"He" .. was Jesus

Exactly. Originally Kap was sitting during the anthem. A military member asked him to kneel instead to show respect. He did. Many of those kneeling are praying for the country. Where does anybody get off criticising that? Did Tebow disrespect the end zone when he kneeled after TDs?

Reactions: 1reVOLver
Took some guts for Tess to publicly maintain a differing view, but she did have her hands on her teammate's shoulders. As Rennia said, supporting them in a different way.
There's a definite reason Tess didn't kneel during the anthem. Her father is a newly elected Republican state representative in Tennessee. She knows she would have received hell from him and his followers if she had kneeled like the rest. Plus, she probably feels otherwise according to the way she was brought up. Just saying.

VN Store

Back