Lady Vols - National Anthem

They must downright hate places like China if they possess disdain for the US and its attitude toward minorities.
Well they’re American citizens (most) so obviously their concern is what is happening here. If you can’t understand the significance of what’s going on around you, I don’t know what to tell you. They were peaceful, they weren’t disrespectful. Respect them as young women who are voicing their opinions. We don’t have to agree, but at least try to see where they’re coming from.

Someone started a thread in the politics forum over it. I had no idea they even played. All sports and even more so with these it’s about “hey everyone look at me”
Sorry you feel that young people peacefully protesting is an attention grabber.

The Knoxville News Sentinel has an article released tonight that all the Lady Vols except one knelt during the National Anthem. We do not need politics in college sports period. This is a total shock as I would not have believed it would have happened with the Volunteers.
Chicks kneeling, what's new about that? Oooooh women's basketball, nevermind.

Do you mean like the overtaking of Portland and the repeated torching of a federal courthouse.... you know the one..... when the VP elect was raising money to bail out the worthless scum...

Yep. Just like that. The riot at the capitol building was wrong just like the riots this summer were wrong.

Well they’re American citizens (most) so obviously their concern is what is happening here. If you can’t understand the significance of what’s going on around you, I don’t know what to tell you. They were peaceful, they weren’t disrespectful. Respect them as young women who are voicing their opinions. We don’t have to agree, but at least try to see where they’re coming from.

Small minded of them. Only concerned about what is happening here.

Kneeling for the flag is disrespectful to America. If they don’t like America, then they can leave.

Get used to it......social mores are in flux.....the political reset suggests progressive (far left) politics will permeate all parts of our lives. Kneeling
during the anthem is part and parcel of the new normal. Perhaps parts of Hickissippi will be somewhat immune, but not the rest of us.

I completely respect their right to kneel but I do not appreciate the attitude of "sit down and shut up and accept it. The team risk alienating an already depleted fan base. I hope you respect my opinion that my admission and donation dollars can be spent elsewhere.

disappointed to see the LVs perform this divisive act --- where is this "unity" we hear so much about? --- since I attended, UT has certainly gone down the marxist rabbit-hole like so many other schools that used to be interested in education, free speech, inclusiveness, and tolerance of other opinions

If one can keep a straight face when the words “O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave” are sung, more power to you. Is it proper decorum to remove your mask when singing the anthem?

Reactions: DEFENDTHISHOUSE
If one can keep a straight face when the words “O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave” are sung, more power to you. Is it proper decorum to remove your mask when singing the anthem?
If you don’t think there is any freedom in this land, you’re welcome to try China.

The Lady Vols knelt for the national anthem and then rose up to roast the Razorbacks, 88-73.
Kneeling for the National Anthem is disrespectful to our Nation and the millions who have served to keep our country free.They will lose support of thousands of people if they keep that up .If they want to protest do it on their own time and away from the Court.Go outside the University complex on their own to express whatever displeasure they have with whomever.

Yeah... Great look. Never thought I'd see the day that a UT team would kneel during our National Anthem. ****ing disgraceful. Pat would have lost her mind.
I think Pat would have supported the team 100% in kneeling. For those of us who have never been a young black person we should probably strive to understand what they are saying not dismissing them out of hand.

I think Pat would have supported the team 100% in kneeling. For those of us who have never been a young black person we should probably strive to understand what they are saying not dismissing them out of hand.
Makes no never mind if you are black,brown,yellow ,pink or orange disrespect to the flag and our Country should not be made.

The players understand kneeling for the national anthem is disrespectful. That’s why they did it. They wanted to draw attention to how they felt about the events in our country over the last few days. They feel so strongly about what happened and this is one of the few ways to really get your point across these days. Actions, as always, speak much louder than words.

I personally would NEVER, ever, kneel for the anthem. That does not mean I can’t be empathetic to the plight of young black people in this country. You can be a conservative, love your country and still respect other’s position and opinions without hating them.

Last edited:
Most of Tennessee Lady Volunteers players kneel during national anthem in wake of Capitol riot

Most of Tennessee's women's basketball players opted to kneel during the national anthem before Thursday's home game against Arkansas, a decision senior Rennia Davis said was "made in the moment."

"We thought that with everything going on -- especially here recently in Washington and everything, that's what we saw fit to do," said Davis, who had 26 points in the Lady Volunteers' 88-73 victory over the No. 13 Razorbacks.

"The people on the team who saw fit to support that, they did. And the ones who didn't, they supported us in a different way."

1610119323234.png

Junior Rae Burrell, who also scored 26 points in the victory, said the players were inspired by how WNBA players engaged in social activism during their season last summer.

The Tennessee coaching staff did not kneel, and coach Kellie Harper said the players' decision wasn't discussed with the staff. But she supported her players.

"I think a lot of it is just the emotions of what's going on right now and where they are with things," Harper said.

"We were educating each other, ourselves, staff players, our Black players, our white players, our international players -- everybody was educated this summer, and we shared a lot," Harper said. "And it was good for us, because it gave us a really good understanding of the person sitting next to you -- where she's coming from, and what her background is. Those discussions were really good. They were difficult at times, but that's OK."

Harper said she knows some fans will disagree with players' decision, but she is proud of how the players have handled themselves and their emotions.

Lady Vols kneel during anthem after D.C. riot

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK

VN Store

Back