As of Tennessee's last game on March 3rd

In this case for this Tennessee team, every player in the top seven has shown tremendous value. They all contribute in different ways with different styles and strengths, and that is what makes the sum so impressive. In scheming for Tennessee, an opponent can't focus on two or three guys and be comfortable in containing us. So many weapons and the D is special.

I've always thought the hardest teams to beat are the ones where you can't just focus on a few players, and those with a deep bench. That is this Tennessee team.

As to the best player? Wow, to this point I don't think anyone has picked Fulkerson. I really think this was an excellent question. Any of our top 7 could be that person, but I will go with Pons.

I paused for about 30 seconds before I filled in the blank. I really don't think there is a bad answer in the top 7. What a great problem to have as a fan!

Beat me to it

I feel James has been the best “overall” player for Tennessee. Maybe not the best at any “one” thing......but good at just about everything.
Agree...JJJ needs to be a little more aggressive on offensive end. Think Bailey is our leading scorer...he's one of those guys who you look up at the end of the game and he's got 16 points. If Pons keeps playing like he did last night, there's little doubt that this team takes his identity and follows his lead, so, if Pons keeps scoring like he did last night, he's the MVP. The beautiful thing about this team is there's literally 5-6 guys who can lead the team in scoring on any given night.

Reactions: Sportslady
I don’t have an issue at him getting minutes there, but his a:to being twice as bad as Vescovi’s tells me he’s not likely to be the main guy at PG.
I think that is likely attributed to the amount of time each has spent playing PG. A lot of SV's assists are simple passes around the wing that lead to an open 3 or feeds into Pons and Fulk for a bucket, which is fine, but also something I think Springer and 2 or 3 other guys could do if given the minutes at PG that SV receives.

My point is that Springer creates instant offense, either for himself or for others. If given 25 minutes at PG, you'd likely see his assist numbers rise, as well, just by nature of handling the ball on every possession like Vescovi does.

SV is a good player, but he is clearly limited by his athleticism, quickness, and ball-handling. He still certainly needs to be on the court and heavily involved in our rotation because of what he does well.

Yeah, I’m a convert to you and Bruin’s camp there, him as a PG with Santi off the ball is the best approach I think
Keon has played more point in seven games than I figured he would all season. I don’t think I’d like to see him there during any vital minutes but I suppose the experience can’t hurt
Yeah, the Keon at PG project seems very forced, to me. You almost only see it when the game is clearly in hand and it seems like getting an emergency guy ready just in case. His ball-handling is a little too rusty, yet, for me to trust him there, and he seems too reliant on the coaches to tell him what to do when he brings the ball up. You can tell he is a coach-pleaser. Certainly nothing wrong with being coachable, but he seems really hesitant to make decisions on his own because he is afraid to make a mistake. Running the point just doesn't look natural for him. It's a weird experiment that I don't really understand.

Reactions: zjcvols and Vol49er
My point being he’s obviously doing a good job of passing and not turning it over
I just don’t understand the SV haters either and sometimes think it’s be he plays a different style verses the American guy. Very good outside shooter whose percentage would be higher if the late in the shot clock heaves were removed. Good a/to ratio. Good rebounding for a pg. plays much better D than his detractors give him credit and he just turned 19. A super solid player who I hope to continue enjoying watch for a few more years!

I've always thought the hardest teams to beat are the ones where you can't just focus on a few players, and those with a deep bench. That is this Tennessee team.

As to the best player? Wow, to this point I don't think anyone has picked Fulkerson. I really think this was an excellent question. Any of our top 7 could be that person, but I will go with Pons.

I paused for about 30 seconds before I filled in the blank. I really don't think there is a bad answer in the top 7. What a great problem to have as a fan!
I think prior to last night, Pons had been a bit disappointing offensively. But, last night was a glimpse of what he can do on both ends of the court. He absolutely changes a game when he's playing aggressively. Barnes himself actually said he can shoot the 3 and hits them well in practice.

Reactions: i2amavol
I think that is likely attributed to the amount of time each has spent playing PG. A lot of SV's assists are simple passes around the wing that lead to an open 3 or feeds into Pons and Fulk for a bucket, which is fine, but also something I think Springer and 2 or 3 other guys could do if given the minutes at PG that SV receives.

My point is that Springer creates instant offense, either for himself or for others. If given 25 minutes at PG, you'd likely see his assist numbers rise, as well, just by nature of handling the ball on every possession like Vescovi does.

SV is a good player, but he is clearly limited by his athleticism, quickness, and ball-handling. He still certainly needs to be on the court and heavily involved in our rotation because of what he does well.

I think you’d also see his turnovers numbers increase as well.

Last night was not Vescovi’s best game, but through a 7 game sample size I think he’s still this teams best option at PG and Barnes would appear to agree.

I just don’t understand the SV haters either and sometimes think it’s be he plays a different style verses the American guy. Very good outside shooter whose percentage would be higher if the late in the shot clock heaves were removed. Good a/to ratio. Good rebounding for a pg. plays much better D than his detractors give him credit and he just turned 19. A super solid player who I hope to continue enjoying watch for a few more years!
He’s not flashy, but he’s a damn good player, for some it’s that simple...Barnes sees him as the best option at PG.

I don’t hate Vescovi. That’s ignorant to suggest. But he’s not above criticism and needs to improve in a few more areas to warrant his minutes. He’s needed as a PG but he’s a better 2. He’s the 2nd or 3rd best PG and there are many, far better players than him that can play the 2. He’s a reliable spot up shooter and makes a few amazing passes many games. He could make the biggest contribution if he was a coast-to-coast PG pushing the pace like Bone. Currently he is far from that level. He could be the nucleus as an upper class man 2 and three years from now. He could be very important next year if JJJ, KJ, and/or Springer leave after this year. Even if all 3 do exit I expect he’ll still be the 4th best guard next year.

This is a strange team where we don't really have a "best" player. We have 7 really good players, all of which are capable of leading the team in most any category on any given day. I was thinking about SEC POTY going to another team, because it'll be hard to separate the players on our team from one another. I'd say Yves, if he can continue to score reasonably well, is the frontrunner because of his defensive production. It's a really fun team to watch though.

Reactions: i2amavol
I think you’d also see his turnovers numbers increase as well.

Last night was not Vescovi’s best game, but through a 7 game sample size I think he’s still this teams best option at PG and Barnes would appear to agree.
That's possible. Your PG is statistically going to have the highest percentage chance to turn the ball over. He's a freshman, too, so that likely increases those chances. I'd bet it decreases with continued PT and experience at the position. Frankly, Covid has restricted our ability to experience with lineups and so we are just rolling with what is familiar. It's possible that in a normal season with more OOC games to build up toward the conference portion, Springer would have gotten more opportunities to show what he's got at the PG position and to work out the growing pains.

I'll do you one better!

I think Springer will start over JJJ by February, he too much of a weapon he may even run the point and let Vescovi be a true kick-out option. Fulky will get his and frustrate the crap out of any team in the SEC in the process! Bailey is going to have games atleast three 20+ games this year when he gets going hes hard to stop. Pons had by far his best game of the season last night if he continues to play at that level he'll be a first round pick. Johnson is going to be defensive player of the year, its weird to say after watching Pons dominate last night. But Johnson is the best on ball defender I've seen at UT. He's still very raw compared to Springer but his numbers will only continue to go up. In a non covid year where he had a chance to prepare he would've been right under Fulky. JJJ is going to be an NBA player after next year, he does everything well....just nothing great.

1. Springer 15.6 PPG
2. Fulky 13.4 PPG
3. Bailey 12.8 PPG
4. Vescovi 12.4 PPG
5. Pons 11.9 PPG
6. Johnson 10.5
7. JJJ 9.8 PPG
8. Anosike 0.001 PPG Lol

Springer does not have a PG mentality and I think that is why Barnes has not run him any at PG. Do I don't think that happens. And highly doubtful JJJ ever leaves the starting lineup. Minutes will be fairly evenly split between JJJ, Springer, Johnson as the season goes on. Which one starts is not a big deal. I also don't think the PG position is any less prone to get 3pt opportunities. Count how often we shoot a 3pt shot on the 1st pass of offense, almost never. We move players and the ball so after initiating offense the PG has just as many 3pt opportunities as anyone.

Reactions: jarnol32
That's possible. Your PG is statistically going to have the highest percentage chance to turn the ball over. He's a freshman, too, so that likely increases those chances. I'd bet it decreases with continued PT and experience at the position. Frankly, Covid has restricted our ability to experience with lineups and so we are just rolling with what is familiar. It's possible that in a normal season with more OOC games to build up toward the conference portion, Springer would have gotten more opportunities to show what he's got at the PG position and to work out the growing pains.

I see this PG situation the same way as Clemsons QB situation 3 years ago.

Dabo had a very good and solid QB that had just taken his team to the playoffs but had lost to Alabama. There was no doubt he was good enough to take them back again but Dabo went with the young talent in TL and it paid off. They beat bama that year and likely wouldn’t have done so without the QB change.

I see SV as one solid very good PG that can lead us to a great season but when an elite game is coming down to the wire I’d love to see Springer breaking down that opponent and leading us to the promised land. I don’t think SV can do it but he damn sure might hit the game winning 3 on a kick out from Springer.

I'll do you one better!

I think Springer will start over JJJ by February, he too much of a weapon he may even run the point and let Vescovi be a true kick-out option. Fulky will get his and frustrate the crap out of any team in the SEC in the process! Bailey is going to have games atleast three 20+ games this year when he gets going hes hard to stop. Pons had by far his best game of the season last night if he continues to play at that level he'll be a first round pick. Johnson is going to be defensive player of the year, its weird to say after watching Pons dominate last night. But Johnson is the best on ball defender I've seen at UT. He's still very raw compared to Springer but his numbers will only continue to go up. In a non covid year where he had a chance to prepare he would've been right under Fulky. JJJ is going to be an NBA player after next year, he does everything well....just nothing great.

1. Springer 15.6 PPG
2. Fulky 13.4 PPG
3. Bailey 12.8 PPG
4. Vescovi 12.4 PPG
5. Pons 11.9 PPG
6. Johnson 10.5
7. JJJ 9.8 PPG
8. Anosike 0.001 PPG Lol
Interesting that you would replace the best player (statistically speaking) in the starting lineup.

Springer does not have a PG mentality and I think that is why Barnes has not run him any at PG. Do I don't think that happens. And highly doubtful JJJ ever leaves the starting lineup. Minutes will be fairly evenly split between JJJ, Springer, Johnson as the season goes on. Which one starts is not a big deal. I also don't think the PG position is any less prone to get 3pt opportunities. Count how often we shoot a 3pt shot on the 1st pass of offense, almost never. We move players and the ball so after initiating offense the PG has just as many 3pt opportunities as anyone.

When Vescovi is running point there's not way we could clear everyone out of the lane and ask him to attack the rim. With Springer or even Johnson (others too but those two have the best ball handling and skill set for it) they can drive and kick out to an open shooter if help comes.

Its the concept of inside out that Barnes loves, the only difference is that it isn't ran from the post.

I'm not sure what your definition of a PG mentality is but the position has changed from a pure distributor to whoever the coach wants them to be and Springer is closer to TJ Ford (The point guard ESPN loves to mention Barnes coached) than Vescovi.

How does he not have a PG mentality? He can dribble well and makes excellent passes just about every game. Plus he can drive and dish better than vescovi can. Having him running the point would make us much better on offense imo. Think Barnes will eventually give it a shot but we have a more experienced guy in vescovi who I’m sure Barnes trusts more. Defenses would have to respect springers ability to drive to the hoop much more than vescovis which would open up more opportunities.

Reactions: cardvolfan
Interesting that you would replace the best player (statistically speaking) in the starting lineup.

JJJ looks better than he did last season, but I still think Springer looks like the best scoring option on the roster and can guard 1-3 anytime or 1-4 if the other team is playing small ball.

It may be Vescovi or Bailey instead, I think JJJ and Johnson will be first off the bench.

Plus it will depend on how the opponents line up Vescovi is the worst on ball defender on the team. Its not a lack of effort he just shares my lighter skin tone (not as quick or fast).

Bottom line is that we have 5 guards that could play in the NBA. Its a good problem to have.

Maybe I’m missing something, but once the ball is past half court, is there a decernable difference in any of the 3 wing players roles? Seems like they start their motion and most everyone touches the ball?

Reactions: Col_Cathcart

SV was the PG when we started the game and ignited our offense to the huge lead in the first half that Missouri never recovered from. I see that SV has limitations that other posters have mentioned but the offense has a nice flow when he is out there. He needs to tighten up on his handle and stop the jump passes IMO.

VN Store

Back