When should we be hiring assistant coaches

When should we be hiring assistant coaches and does the lack of hiring indicate that Pruitt returning may not be a done deal?
It’s one of two options either A.) They’re waiting on bowl games and nfl playoffs to hire someone still coaching or B.) Pruitt is getting fired.
At the moment I’m gonna assume A, because this administration is dumb

It’s one of two options either A.) They’re waiting on bowl games and nfl playoffs to hire someone still coaching or B.) Pruitt is getting fired.
At the moment I’m gonna assume A, because this administration is dumb
Agreed. I’m not hearing many name drops for replacements. I’m hoping for option C which is the new coach picks his staff.

Holidays and covid. Who knows what will happen but something will just not yet
My gut says powers that be are not sastified with 3-7 and Fulmer giving the contract extension to Pruitt and himself before the season is a really bad look for him.He looks incompetent.I don’t think either deserved the extension and absolutely no one is calling trying to hire either of them away. I suspect we’ll hear something either way right after the CFP.

I don’t think Pruitt is allowed to make a hire at this time if Tennessee is really building a for cause case. Once they establish if they actually have anything or not will probably be when you see hires made.

Hell I heard that the administration was waiting for Liberty's bowl game to be over and an announcement is imminent.

Last edited:
Reactions: ButchBettaBeGone
I don’t think Pruitt is allowed to make a hire at this time if Tennessee is really building a for cause case. Once they establish if they actually have anything or not will probably be when you see hires made.
Best response yet.It makes sense.If they find any wrongdoing by Pruitt he’s gone.No way you keep a coach who just went 3-7 and ran afoul of the NCAA.

Reactions: carpbc
My gut says powers that be are not sastified with 3-7 and Fulmer giving the contract extension to Pruitt and himself before the season is a really bad look for him.He looks incompetent.I don’t think either deserved the extension and absolutely no one is calling trying to hire either of them away. I suspect we’ll hear something either way right after the CFP.
So you believe Fulmer gave himself a raise and extention. Raises and extentions come from above.

i agree but I’m not sure why we all want to blame Fulmer if he really made that call. Others would have had to sign off on it. He may have encouraged it though I’m not sure

Many contracts (depending on the school) for assistants end at some point in January. Literally, I could see us waiting another month to save some $$$ on buyouts for guys that we are hiring from other schools....

Pruitt is going to be back next year and this is just us delaying the process to save a few bucks so we can scrape the bottom of the barrel for the assistant pool.

We will end up hiring a bunch of guys that had no other big time interest and the Pruitt cornbread jock sniffers will pronounce them as great hires and we will wonder why in October their units aren't getting the job done.

Reactions: govols105
After all the really good ones have been signed somewhere else. It's the UT way. Never proactive. Always reactive and doing that from behind.

Reactions: igotworms
It doesn't matter. We're stuck next year regardless of who is on staff as long as Pruitt is the head coach. Go as cheap as possible. Promote grad assistants, hit up Knox area middle and high schools. There are former Vol players and coaches doing it there for free or next to it. The on the field product won't be any worse and when the inevitable hammer falls on Pruitt/Fulmer next year we will have a slightly less onerous buyout with the staff at least.

If I remember, I believe the Governor implemented a hiring freeze effective through the end of this year which included pay cuts to the coaches, non emergency maintenance and purchasing. This could be the reason there have been no new coaches hired?

Reactions: DougAtkins91
Since we don't play until Sept. 4, 2021; I guess we're in no rush. We have up to Sept. 3 at the worst. No big deal!

VN Store

Back