The Coffee Thread

Of the main well known coffee brands sold at the main grocers (Walmart, Food City,etc) what is your favorite? Also what is your favorite budget-conscious Keurig coffee brand? Just looking for recommendations.
Peet's is my fave from the grocery... Try peet's big bang. Just a good, solid cup of coffee, imo

We loved Peet’s French roast. Never could get happy with Major Dickason.

(We buy a local grind now.)

If you ever drink instant coffee, which one do you use?
That was not very nice of me. I apologize!

Back in the day when I drank warmish brownish liquid and truly considered it coffee, I bought Taster’s Choice (Nestle Gold under the US name), probably because of their famously steamy commercials, lol:

Reactions: MAD
That was not very nice of me. I apologize!

Back in the day when I drank warmish brownish liquid and truly considered it coffee, I bought Taster’s Choice (Nestle Gold under the US name), probably because of their famously steamy commercials, lol:

That’s what I buy. Get it from the British Import store.
FEC3DCE1-A18E-4234-9DB1-B479B3D4EF7C.jpeg

Reactions: VolNExile
If you ever drink instant coffee, which one do you use?
My first experience with coffee was instant coffee. My grandma, to this day, keeps a jar of Tasters Choice instant coffee around. I remember sitting in her lap, probably around 8 and seeing the golden cream liquid she was drinking. I must’ve been very interested in it because she offered to let me have a sip. Which I definitely took her up on. I can almost taste and smell it, although it probably wasn’t much more than coffee flavored milk and sugar. I’ve been hooked ever since. I’m quite nostalgic about Tasters Choice and I’ll always keep a jar around because of the memories I have seeing it in her house.

Probably won’t ever use it, unless it’s a break glass in case of emergency kinda situation lol

Reactions: MAD and VolNExile
My first experience with coffee was instant coffee. My grandma, to this day, keeps a jar of Tasters Choice instant coffee around. I remember sitting in her lap, probably around 8 and seeing the golden cream liquid she was drinking. I must’ve been very interested in it because she offered to let me have a sip. Which I definitely took her up on. I can almost taste and smell it, although it probably wasn’t much more than coffee flavored milk and sugar. I’ve been hooked ever since. I’m quite nostalgic about Tasters Choice and I’ll always keep a jar around because of the memories I have seeing it in her house.

Probably won’t ever use it, unless it’s a break glass in case of emergency kinda situation lol
Good grandma. Remember that if you're fortunate enough to have grandchildren.

On the drive home from Atlanta to Knoxville on a really cold Tuesday morning this week. I Stopped by a Waffle House. Their coffee with a couple of creamers, Solid. I’ve always liked their coffee. (Royal Cup out of Birmingham I believe). Bacon, egg and cheese on Texas toast too. Solid again.

@volfan_89 any experience with reusable/metal filters in your v60? I'm thinking about buying one of the metal ones.
I’ve never tried any. I’ve thought about trying out the coffee sock ones but haven’t yet. The metal ones seem like it would brew similar to a french press because the metal filter won’t absorb any of the oils or fines from the coffee. I like a french press but it’s not something I’m looking for when I make pour over. I did see where someone used a paper filter under a metal filter at a brewers cup once. I wanna say the guy was from Onyx Coffee. I think he took the paper filter out after the bloom. Sounds interesting and I might try that if I ever buy one.

Reactions: ButchPlz
I got hooked on Cuban Coffee on a couple business trips to Miami.

Finally, figured out how to sorta replicate. Bought a stove top Italian Moka Pot and Cafe Bustelo and Natural Bliss Sweet Cream. Addiction pains resolved. I'm in coffee heaven again.

I got hooked on Cuban Coffee on a couple business trips to Miami.

Finally, figured out how to sorta replicate. Bought a stove top Italian Moka Pot and Cafe Bustelo and Natural Bliss Sweet Cream. Addiction pains resolved. I'm in coffee heaven again.
Every time I've tried to make it it sucks compared to the stuff Cubans actually make. I just can't get it right.

We've got a friend that is half Cuban, half Puerto Rican, and her Cuban mother makes it perfectly (apparently). Still haven't had hers yet.

I’ve never tried any. I’ve thought about trying out the coffee sock ones but haven’t yet. The metal ones seem like it would brew similar to a french press because the metal filter won’t absorb any of the oils or fines from the coffee. I like a french press but it’s not something I’m looking for when I make pour over. I did see where someone used a paper filter under a metal filter at a brewers cup once. I wanna say the guy was from Onyx Coffee. I think he took the paper filter out after the bloom. Sounds interesting and I might try that if I ever buy one.
I ended up sticking with the paper ones. I ran out of the filters and couldn't find any locally, so had to order online. I've been back to French press this last week or so and while I love the flavor the fines/oils tear my stomach up if I have too much. Don't get the same at all with pourover.

Every time I've tried to make it it sucks compared to the stuff Cubans actually make. I just can't get it right.

We've got a friend that is half Cuban, half Puerto Rican, and her Cuban mother makes it perfectly (apparently). Still haven't had hers yet.

Mine is not perfect, but pretty good anyway. I have found the Natural Bliss sweet cream works best for imitating. Even though they use cream and cane sugar. And the Moka pot works best for me (stovetop low pressure espresso). Aldi has a Cafe Bustelo knock off that is identical coffee in a different package.

There was a breakfast lady in the La Quinta we stayed in Miami that would fix the cuban coffee in a homeware style espresso machine. She would serve it in shots in communion cups. She was always hesitant to give a 3rd shot to one person, for good reason. It was dark, rich, straight black, and the smoothest and least bitter shot of espresso I have ever had. Not even a hint of bitter. Don't know how she did it.

How to Make Cuban Coffee: 12 Steps (with Pictures) - wikiHow

I'm too lazy to whip the sugar and coffee together, so I just use the sweet cream, ala Cafe Con Leche. I love the traditional Cafecito, but haven't perfected the sugar stirring to get that froth. I was mostly always a black coffee drinker anyway, but the Con Leche got me into the sugar and cream.

I have a french press, but I've never cared for it vs other brewing methods. But, wanting to give it another chance, I came across a difference technique and was very pleased:

As far as favorite origin country, I'd have to go with Costa Rica (a good light roast out of a CR-style pour-over contraption is my favorite). Don't tell my Colombian wife that I prefer that over coffee from her home cou[SIGNAL LOST]

Coffee from Huila Colombia is a close second.

As far as favorite origin country, I'd have to go with Costa Rica (a good light roast out of a CR-style pour-over contraption is my favorite). Don't tell my Colombian wife that I prefer that over coffee from her home cou[SIGNAL LOST]

Coffee from Huila Colombia is a close second.
Blue Mountain from Jamaica is not bad.

Blue Mountain from Jamaica is not bad.

Not bad at all! Several years back, I worked with a guy who went on a coffee kick where he'd order different origins and brands and bring what he ordered up to the office. Some was notoceably good, some less so (by that I mean sometimes I couldn't tell the difference between whatever "premium" stuff he ordered and the normal stuff from the grocery store)...all that to say the Blue Mountain stuff he brought in one week was firmly in the "good stuff" column.

Not bad at all! Several years back, I worked with a guy who went on a coffee kick where he'd order different origins and brands and bring what he ordered up to the office. Some was notoceably good, some less so (by that I mean sometimes I couldn't tell the difference between whatever "premium" stuff he ordered and the normal stuff from the grocery store)...all that to say the Blue Mountain stuff he brought in one week was firmly in the "good stuff" column.
A little pricey for everyday.
Momma Bear gets me some beans every year for my birthday.

Reactions: tbh
A little pricey for everyday.
Momma Bear gets me some beans every year for my birthday.

Yup. My former coworker dropped some serious money on some of the coffees he'd bring in, and then brag about how fine it was. We considered taking up a collection to buy him some kopi luwak (sp?) coffee and then later tell him how it's "made", haha. We did not.

Yup. My former coworker dropped some serious money on some of the coffees he'd bring in, and then brag about how fine it was. We considered taking up a collection to buy him some kopi luwak (sp?) coffee and then later tell him how it's "made", haha. We did not.
I used to be a coffee snob.
Tried I guess a hundred types.
To me most were no better or not as good as Classic Roast Folgers. You get some cans that are surprisingly good. Other cans so-so. As with any blend.
Blue Mountain and another brand I used to buy in Puerto Rico ( I can't recall the name) are the only ones I would pay big money for.

Reactions: tbh

VN Store

Back