Art Briles Is There For The Taking

Baylor paid Briles 15.1 million dollars in 2018. Their athletic director admitted the football program was "scapegoated" to try and hide a university wide cover up of sexual assaults. One of the charged players was acquitted, another had his conviction thrown out after it was found that prosecutors and witnesses willfully lied under oath at his trial.

That said, you are right that Briles is radioactive and likely won't ever get a big job again. Right now he's coaching high school football and is 65 years old.
Out of curiosity has Briles now won multiple state titles ?

Are we talking Briles to replace Chaney or Pruitt?........I could get behind a Muschamp D and a Briles O with Pruitt hopefully retreating to just an overseer head coach (which is what he should be doing).........but Briles as head coach 🤔......probably going to go with a pass. Too much baggage and I dont wanna risk the NCAA wrath if he turns to old ways.

So we ambush Schiano because of his ties to the Penn State situation and now we want Art Briles? Y’all are clown as hell.

Night & day. A witness testified in court that staff at PS knew of the abuse by Sandusky. Baylor admitted in writing Briles did not violate their policies and paid him his full buyout. Briles was far less guilty of anything than Urban Meyer.

The man has built winners, is a genius on offense, would crawl here on broken glass for the job, and we could get him for a good price. Baylor had to admit that Briles did not violate their policies and they paid him his buyout. His name is tied to a bad situation but nobody has proved he violated any rules or laws. If we want to win, and don’t want to spend a shizload of cash, he’s our guy.
No need to make a coaching change now. Pruitt is the right man for the job.

Are we talking Briles to replace Chaney or Pruitt?........I could get behind a Muschamp D and a Briles O with Pruitt hopefully retreating to just an overseer head coach (which is what he should be doing).........but Briles as head coach 🤔......probably going to go with a pass. Too much baggage and I dont wanna risk the NCAA wrath if he turns to old ways.
Why would the NCAA care? He was fired over a rape cover up scandal, that now appears to have been bigger than the football team and not been prove he had much if anything to do with it.

“We’re off to see the Wizard, the wonderful Wizard of Oz! “. What a invigorating way to start the week! 😂😂😂😂

First off, Baylor did not pay his buyout. He was fired for cause, but they reached a settlement with him (below his actual buyout) that came with an NDA.

Second, Briles is radioactive and will never be the head coach at another major program.

I read a post, and think "I like this", then I get to the last sentence (this is the usual location for the over reaction). In this case I went ahead and gave a like. However I think your last 1/2 sentence is an overreaction to your thought process. How bout Freeze? Just one of many..... I know "little Liberty" but he will be back and soon, somewhere big.

Baylor paid Briles 15.1 million dollars in 2018.

Incorrect. They paid in him that money in 2016 shortly after firing him. The actual amount wasn't made public until 2018 and only came out thru a tax filing that was gathered by the media in a document dump. There was no second settlement. And while it is a large amount, it's still less than half of his contracted buyout. For what it's worth, Ken Starr was also paid close to $5 million after Baylor fired him.

Source

Their athletic director admitted the football program was "scapegoated" to try and hide a university wide cover up of sexual assaults.

Their former athletic director. The same one who was forced to resign for his own role in Baylor's failure. And he said it during a deposition in one of the multiple lawsuits against the school by the multiple victims of sexual assault.

Source

One of the charged players was acquitted,

Shawn Oakman was found not guilty.

another had his conviction thrown out after it was found that prosecutors and witnesses willfully lied under oath at his trial.

Sam Ukwuachu had his conviction overturned by the court of appeals, but it was reinstated by a higher court. The same lower court reversed it again, and the Court of Criminal Appeals agreed to hear it for a second time. That was right at a year ago, but it doesn't seem that it's been decided in the interim. So, I will say that you are kind of correct on this one, in that the current status is that Ukwuachu's case has been remanded for a new trial. But given that the Court of Criminal Appeals agrees to hear a very small number of cases, and given that they previously reversed the lower court on a very similar point of law, I think it's more likely than not that Ukwuachu's conviction is reinstated for a second time.

Source

I think it's interesting that you failed to mention that Tevin Elliott is serving 20 years for sexual assault. I'm sure that one slipped your mind.

Last edited:
I read a post, and think "I like this", then I get to the last sentence (this is the usual location for the over reaction). In this case I went ahead and gave a like. However I think your last 1/2 sentence is an overreaction to your thought process. How bout Freeze? Just one of many..... I know "little Liberty" but he will be back and soon, somewhere big.

Freeze's situation could not be more dissimilar to Briles's. Freeze broke NCAA rules, but all he needed to do was stay clean at a smaller program. It appears that he's done so.

Briles can't even get a job at a smaller program, which is why he's coaching high school ball. It wouldn't shock me if some FCS program were to give Briles a shot, though his age makes even that low level hiring unlikely. But no major school will ever give him an interview.

Last edited:
Reactions: marcusluvsvols
Night & day. A witness testified in court that staff at PS knew of the abuse by Sandusky.

No one testified that Schiano knew anything. Mike McQueary mentioned that he'd heard that Schiano was aware of Sandusky during a deposition. The only source that even mentioned Schiano did so with third hand information.

Baylor admitted in writing Briles did not violate their policies and paid him his full buyout. Briles was far less guilty of anything than Urban Meyer.

As I stated earlier, this is completely incorrect.

Reactions: orange blossom
So we ambush Schiano because of his ties to the Penn State situation and now we want Art Briles? Y’all are clown as hell.

c’mon man. You’re not that out of it. Schiano was ambushed because we wanted a more proven/successful coach. It’s had nothing to do with his incredible loose ties to the scandal at omen state. It had everything to do with him being viewed as a hardcore yankee with a very marginal record as a head coach

Reactions: GoodlettsvilleVol
Last time I looked, Rick Barnes was 66 years old and he still seems to have a lot of good years left in him.
Mack Brown is on the verge of dotage over at NC and doing pretty well for himself.
So let's not automatically consider age a limiting factor.
Here! Here! ! (from one of the dotage candidates)

The man has built winners, is a genius on offense, would crawl here on broken glass for the job, ... .
Go back 4 years and substitute Justin Fuentes, Tom Herman, Mike Leach, Chip Kelly, etc. Potential does not automatically guarantee success. Right now, the only sure-fire hires would be Saban, Dabo, and Mullen, maybes: Fleck would be at the top of the list, followed by Riley. Saying Briles, with no head coaching experience would be a home run is just ludicrous. Also consider his offense didn't score in 3 quarters against the Vols.

The man has built winners, is a genius on offense, would crawl here on broken glass for the job, and we could get him for a good price. Baylor had to admit that Briles did not violate their policies and they paid him his buyout. His name is tied to a bad situation but nobody has proved he violated any rules or laws. If we want to win, and don’t want to spend a shizload of cash, he’s our guy.

yes please, I’ll drive to pick him up.

Go back 4 years and substitute Justin Fuentes, Tom Herman, Mike Leach, Chip Kelly, etc. Potential does not automatically guarantee success. Right now, the only sure-fire hires would be Saban, Dabo, and Mullen, maybes: Fleck would be at the top of the list, followed by Riley. Saying Briles, with no head coaching experience would be a home run is just ludicrous. Also consider his offense didn't score in 3 quarters against the Vols.

Google Art Briles there Einstein

Reactions: jkburke12
First off, Baylor did not pay his buyout. He was fired for cause, but they reached a settlement with him (below his actual buyout) that came with an NDA.

Second, Briles is radioactive and will never be the head coach at another major program.

character, smaracter. You wanna win football games or not?

Moral compass much OP? Oh, wait a minute forgot VolunteerHillbilly was posting this junk. UT will lose fans in droves if we Hire Briles. If Fulmer elects to go the sleezeball route go with Freeze.

Reactions: VolInNorthCack
Even if Briles weren't toxic, he's 65 years old.

He's coaching high school now and he's already been reprimanded for using ineligible players.

Oh, and he went 15-22 his first 3 years at Baylor, so all the people who want to fire Pruitt would've fired Briles before he started doing well in Year 4.
Yeah bc he walked into a powerhouse loaded w talent.
Not even close to same situation.
He had noone there when he started.

VN Store

Back