Art Briles Is There For The Taking

VolunteerHillbilly

Spike Drinks, Not Trees
The man has built winners, is a genius on offense, would crawl here on broken glass for the job, and we could get him for a good price. Baylor had to admit that Briles did not violate their policies and they paid him his buyout. His name is tied to a bad situation but nobody has proved he violated any rules or laws. If we want to win, and don’t want to spend a shizload of cash, he’s our guy.

The man has built winners, is a genius on offense, would crawl here on broken glass for the job, and we could get him for a good price. Baylor had to admit that Briles did not violate their policies and they paid him his buyout. His name is tied to a bad situation but nobody has proved he violated any rules or laws. If we want to win, and don’t want to spend a shizload of cash, he’s our guy.

First off, Baylor did not pay his buyout. He was fired for cause, but they reached a settlement with him (below his actual buyout) that came with an NDA.

Second, Briles is radioactive and will never be the head coach at another major program.

First off, Baylor did not pay his buyout. He was fired for cause, but they reached a settlement with him (below his actual buyout) that came with an NDA.

Second, Briles is radioactive and will never be the head coach at another major program.

I can’t stand naysayers like you. So who do you want to hire? Straight up—who do we hire if it’s your choice?

Reactions: Vols1313 and MSCE09
So we ambush Schiano because of his ties to the Penn State situation and now we want Art Briles? Y’all are clown as hell.
Speak for yourself. I didn’t want Schiano because I thought he would fail here. Briles is hirable. If I was in charge and couldn’t get the boosters to give me the cash for Freeze, I’d fire Pruitt and offer Briles just enough so it’s not a humiliating amount. Probably a million a year plus incentives would do it and I guarandamtee you we would be giving Pruitt a raise for at least that much if he’d happened to stumble into 8 or 9 wins this year.

Reactions: MaTaLa
I've been pushing for Briles for a long time now. I don't care that some folks see him as "radioactive".
If he's radioactive, that just means he'll glow in the dark and will be easier to track at night.
I'll take a glow-in-the-dark Winner over a cornbread-flavored Loser any day.
I'm sure he could be had for less than the likes of Urban or Freeze.
Such a hire might throw a scare into the likes of FL and GA as well.
That's a good thing.

The prospect of going up against Satan-, Mullen-, Smart-, and possibly Freeze - coached rivals every single year with Pruitt still at the helm is daunting to say the least. Not to mention the other well-coached SEC teams we'll be facing.

Last edited:

Baylor paid Briles 15.1 million dollars in 2018. Their athletic director admitted the football program was "scapegoated" to try and hide a university wide cover up of sexual assaults. One of the charged players was acquitted, another had his conviction thrown out after it was found that prosecutors and witnesses willfully lied under oath at his trial.

That said, you are right that Briles is radioactive and likely won't ever get a big job again. Right now he's coaching high school football and is 65 years old.

Reactions: davethevol
Even if Briles weren't toxic, he's 65 years old.

He's coaching high school now and he's already been reprimanded for using ineligible players.

Oh, and he went 15-22 his first 3 years at Baylor, so all the people who want to fire Pruitt would've fired Briles before he started doing well in Year 4.

He's coaching high school now and he's already been reprimanded for using ineligible players.

Oh, and he went 15-22 his first 3 years at Baylor, so all the people who want to fire Pruitt would've fired Briles before he started doing well in Year 4.
How dare you bring logic to this board? 😁

Last time I looked, Rick Barnes was 66 years old and he still seems to have a lot of good years left in him.
Mack Brown is on the verge of dotage over at NC and doing pretty well for himself.
So let's not automatically consider age a limiting factor.

VN Store

Back