8 Vols assistants reject UT pay cut to help with losses due to covid

Let me try this:

From a legal angle, it’s a contract. That said, contracts can be reformed or partially reformed by the court based on significant misunderstandings, mutual mistake of fact, force majure, etc. Is a worldwide pandemic resulting in a 75% loss of gate revenue and a 10 vice 12 game season enough? I honestly don’t know, but rest assured juries and judges will be making these factual calls thousands of times over the next year or two. So while the presumption is that these coaches have enforceable contracts, that’s not absolute.

From the ethical angle: it comes down to values. If you place your highest value on individual achievement and faith in an omniscient market to get things right, that will dictate your response. If you value equity and personal sacrifice for a greater good, that will guide your response. Whether there is a right or wrong answer is debatable, but clearly everyone’s view of the “right thing to do” here is dictated by this question.

Finally, from a pure appearance and political angle, this was a dumb as hell move. I’m not even sure that’s debatable. You’ve got a coach receiving a raise in this environment and not capable of convincing/assuring his staff to make the smart play, perhaps personally assuring them he will make it up to them. That’s what I suspect Barnes did. That is leadership. Pruitt is more of an opportunist than a leader.

Anywho. That’s my view. Flame away.

Let me try this:

From a legal angle, it’s a contract. That said, contracts can be reformed or partially reformed by the court based on significant misunderstandings, mutual mistake of fact, force majure, etc. Is a worldwide pandemic resulting in a 75% loss of gate revenue and a 10 vice 12 game season enough? I honestly don’t know, but rest assured juries and judges will be making these factual calls thousands of times over the next year or two. So while the presumption is that these coaches have enforceable contracts, that’s not absolute.

From the ethical angle: it comes down to values. If you place your highest value on individual achievement and faith in an omniscient market to get things right, that will dictate your response. If you value equity and personal sacrifice for a greater good, that will guide your response. Whether there is a right or wrong answer is debatable, but clearly everyone’s view of the “right thing to do” here is dictated by this question.

Finally, from a pure appearance and political angle, this was a dumb as hell move. I’m not even sure that’s debatable. You’ve got a coach receiving a raise in this environment and not capable of convincing/assuring his staff to make the smart play, perhaps personally assuring them he will make it up to them. That’s what I suspect Barnes did. That is leadership. Pruitt is more of an opportunist than a leader.

Anywho. That’s my view. Flame away.
Nothing to flame. It is reasonable and examines all angles.

Wasn't it said that Pruitt gave up his raise ($400,000) in lieu of a salary cut? If so, would that not be a form a leading by example?

**Not a defense, simply asking...

Wasn't it said that Pruitt gave up his raise ($400,000) in lieu of a salary cut? If so, would that not be a form a leading by example?

**Not a defense, simply asking...
That’s exactly what happened.

Reactions: m1al
Unfortunately, your example is not complete. Let’s try it again and make it more comparable to what’s going on.

Let’s say that you agree to build a house for somebody at a negotiated price. Halfway through the project a pandemic hits affecting the entire world, the entire economy, building supply costs, and people all over the world were losing their jobs and making sacrifices to stay afloat. That person was taking a 40% pay hit, so they came to you asking if you could help them with the situation. They asked that you and all your highest paid subcontractors to take a marginal cut so that you can continue with the house project. Understanding that you’re not going to be able to probably get a new house during the pandemic and that the situation is beyond anyone’s control, you do what’s right and keep ALL of your subcontractors, suppliers, and families working with income. Let’s just say that your drywall guy and your brick mason told you they would help out and take a cut but your plumber, electrician, your building supply company, and your flooring subcontractor all told you that you were crazy and that they were not going to work on this job unless you paid them 100% of what you had already negotiated, regardless of the circumstances around your request. Legally, they have every right to do that. Ethically...it’s highly questionable, tone deaf, shortsighted, ridiculously selfish, and beyond excusable.
Adderall

Reactions: Rickyvol77
That’s exactly what happened.
Thought he deferred that raise???

Pruitt, in September, signed a two-year contract extension that came with a $400,000 raise. He deferred his raise until 2021, but he has not accepted a pay cut. Because of Pruitt's contract structure, the 2021 contract year will be his highest-paid year of a deal that runs through Jan. 31, 2026.

Looks Bad - Chaney, Friend, Wienke and Ansley are doing a hell of job this year (j/k) Makes sense that they hold firm on their inflated salaries.

The moral compass of coaches accepting/declining a pay cut is not the issue here. The issue is that the head coach sucks and the fan base is pissed. Reason and logic are tossed in a dumpster and that dumpster already has a nice little fire stirring in it.

Thought he deferred that raise???

Pruitt, in September, signed a two-year contract extension that came with a $400,000 raise. He deferred his raise until 2021, but he has not accepted a pay cut. Because of Pruitt's contract structure, the 2021 contract year will be his highest-paid year of a deal that runs through Jan. 31, 2026.
Gave up, deferred... you’re right. I just meant he wasn’t taking a pay increase in 2020 despite the extension.

Someone should start a poll thread:

1. I see no issue with assistant coaches refusing to take a voluntary 10% paycut for 2020.

2. I think it’s wrong for assistant coaches refusing to take a voluntary 10% paycut for 2020.

3. I wish they were all paid on performance.

4. Nothing to see here. Move on.

Why don't you do it Cletus?

If you can’t see the wrong move here then you ARE blind. If you CHOSE to rationalize selfishness you ARE moronic. Even Christ himself took issue with the hypocrisy and greed in the world.
Making money for your family that is owed to you is not greed

Ok, IF that’s accurate then the lowest paid position coach would still make $180k to coach tight ends (which we don’t have or use). I could live for a year on 180k. Could you?
Now you’re judging people for what they should do with their money because they make more than you? 😂

Totally different scenario here. I have no CLUE how much they make. We DO know how much these coaches make and it’s wrong of them to not take the cut. We see it differently and it’s MY belief that our differences in opinion comes from the way our hearts view sacrifice, selfishness, greed, and the sin that corrupts people’s minds. I can’t make you see right and wrong...I wish it was that simple.
Again. To slow it down for the “professional”, it is NOT greed to take money that is contractually given to you for your family for your work

Differed just means he’ll be paid the money at a latter date.
I know what deferred means lol. I just meant that they handed him the money in a way where he received no increase in the current year.

Reactions: hog88
I don't blame the coaches at all. I wouldn't take a pay cut either. They signed a contract just the same as the university did. It's not personal; It's just business.

Reactions: BreatheUT

VN Store

Back