8 Vols assistants reject UT pay cut to help with losses due to covid

Are the individuals in an employment contract with their employer to perform duties and be compensated for performing said duties?

Are the individuals still expected to perform the duties per the contract? If so, they have every right to expect to be compensated per the contract for performing said duties. UT AD is not going anywhere, and football, especially in this TV-only era, is paying all of the bills.

It may not feel warm and fuzzy, but this is big business - believing is anything else is living in a fairytale.

It doesn’t surprise me that this is the attitude you take towards the post. It’s the same kind of heart and attitude that drives you to think that the coaches made the right decision. If your heart was right then he would feel differently. I can’t fix or change your heart, unfortunately.
Who are you to judge the 'rightness' of anyone's heart. I thought that was God's domain, not man's...

I can't say that I blame the other coaches for not taking a cut since UT doesn't mean anything to them other than a paycheck but it certainly isn't a good look. For Martin and Graham, it is personal. I certainly would remember the gesture when a coaching change happens.
Those 2 know what it means to be a Tennessee Volunteer. The vast majority of our citizens have had to make financial sacrifices during these times. Considering the small cut they were looking at, I'm sorry You have lost a TON of respect. Maybe from now on they should be paid for performance. If that were the case everyone of them would be making 10 cents on the dollar.

I'll just say when you are making the kind of money even these Assistants are making and you decline to take a ten percent cut in the situation were in makes you look like a very greedy person. Some of the people on the list have never earned much of that money failing to produce any type of consistent play with the group they coach. Except for a couple of them I would want to give money back basically because of the job I've done this season.

Reactions: BalledUPfists
LOL

How about upping their coaching skills and get their position groups playing better.

It isn’t that they refused to take a small cut in pay that’s concerning. It’s that we hired this many coaches that have absolutely sucked at their jobs yet refused to accept a cut from their exorbitant pay.

Reactions: mackievol
If a few of these guys were on a performance contract they would be broke. Only two or three of them have done the job.

Reactions: hog88
However it is a bad look
Rick Barnes, Kellie Harper take paycuts for Tennessee athletics budget
Vols basketball coach Rick Barnes and Lady Vols coach Kellie Harper already signed amendments accepting a pay cut, Satkowiak told Knox News. The cut will be taken from each's total compensation.
Vols baseball coach Tony Vitello told Knox News he plans to accept a pay reduction.

Every Tennessee head coach other than Pruitt signed a contract amendment agreeing to that tiered salary reduction through June 30. Those coaches also agreed to waive any incentive compensation they would have been eligible for through June 30, except for incentives for winning an SEC championship or a national championship. Those championship bonuses remain in play.

Funny how the coaches that are putting together competitive programs take the pay cuts but the ones who are not performing don't take one. Jim Chaney and Chris Weinke especially stand out.

Reactions: BalledUPfists
It isn’t that they refused to take a small cut in pay that’s concerning. It’s that we hired this many coaches that have absolutely sucked at their jobs yet refused to accept a cut from their exorbitant pay.
If someone paid you more than you deserved and you knew you would soon be out of a job, would you take a pay cut?

You clearly don’t have any idea how this world works do you? A business provides for more than one family. I took a pay cut so that my business could have enough funds to 1.stay open and 2. Keep everybody employed.
Lmao as an executive who works at a not-for-profit business that brings in $30-80 million a year, I fully understand that. And it’s funny that even though we were affected by COVID more than any other industry out there, we never required our team members to cut their salaries or benefits. And if you believe that the UT AD which is privately funded is in need of those pennies from the coaches you are a pretty gullible person

Reactions: davethevol
How much of Pruitt's recent raise could have been cut across the board on all of them and this embarrassment been avoided?

Lmao as an executive who works at a not-for-profit business that brings in $30-80 million a year, I fully understand that. And it’s funny that even though we were affected by COVID more than any other industry out there, we never required our team members to cut their salaries or benefits. And if you believe that the UT AD which is privately funded is in need of those pennies from the coaches you are a pretty gullible person

For, LITERALLY, the 8th time.....IT WAS A VOLUNTARY REQUEST!!! NOT MANDATORY. And UT will be down 40-50% in 2020. I Highly doubt that if you lost that percentage at a nonprofit you would not retain all staff or everyone’s current rate of pay. If you are, then your operating costs are phenomenal.

If someone paid you more than you deserved and you knew you would soon be out of a job, would you take a pay cut?

And if the guy that makes $1.6M says no but the guy that makes $400k says yes then who is the real idiot. I'm guessing they are hedging their bets their contracts might not get renewed based on team performance. Then why be dumb enough to give salary back.

For, LITERALLY, the 8th time.....IT WAS A VOLUNTARY REQUEST!!! NOT MANDATORY. And UT will be down 40-50% in 2020. I Highly doubt that if you lost that percentage at a nonprofit you would not retain all staff or everyone’s current rate of pay. If you are, then your operating costs are phenomenal.
And if its voluntary, there is nothing wrong with them refusing to do so. Their families are more important than the UTAD

Reactions: davethevol
Judge a tree by its fruit...... this team’s coaches fruit is rotten. Anyone can see that.
You directed your comment to another poster here on VolNation, not the coaches. As far as the coahes go, who are you to judge any of them by the decision they made. You know nothing of the intent of their heart or why they made it. You just sit here and cast anonymous judgement on someone you know NOTHING about.. Does your sorry attempt at public shaming make you feel better about your relationship with Christ?

Like the other guy said, self righteous much... 🙄

You directed your comment to another poster here on VolNation, not the coaches. As far as the coahes go, who are you to judge any of them by the decision they made. You know nothing of the intent of their heart or why they made it. You just sit here and cast anonymous judgement on someone you know NOTHING about.. Does your sorry attempt at public shaming make you feel better about your relationship with Christ?

Like the other guy said, self righteous much... 🙄

You just really don’t get it. It’s not public shaming it’s not judging. They made a black-and-white wrong decision that was selfish. All of you on here trying to rationalize and defend selfishness then you just don’t understand what’s going on here.

You just really don’t get it. It’s not public shaming it’s not judging. They made a black-and-white wrong decision that was selfish. All of you on here trying to rationalize and defend selfishness then you just don’t understand what’s going on here.
Dude you have NO F’ing idea what you are talking about.

There you go again, assuming you know their motivation by calling the decision "selfish". Could it be selfishness? Yes, it could be, but you don't know that for sure. You evidently don't get that you're making a JUDGEMENT based on your views and no real knowledge of their individual situations and that is WRONG.

✌ Brother.....

Here is something to consider. This is one year where the University is taking a major hit. Given it was founded in 1794 you'd think, at this point, they would have saved for a rainy day. Not sure if they can tap the $1B or so in the endowment to cover losses but that may be an option. Anyone know the rules around accessing those funds?

VN Store

Back