Waiting on Salter

thebane5

Nashville's 104.5 The Zone got into an interesting debate yesterday on the Vols QB situation. I won't bore you with the details, and some hater on here is just going to rake me over the coals for bringing something up that's on another thread (heaven knows this forum is sacred ground), but I'll put myself out there anyway. The general consensus from the debate was that they continue to play JG in order to keep HB or BM from really being able to show what they can do, for fear that if one of them comes on strong and separates from the pack (not happening, by the way), then Kaidon Salter may go elsewhere for fear that the job could be sewn up for 2-3 years. That's all, now go ahead and hate on me, I can take it.

Nashville's 104.5 The Zone got into an interesting debate yesterday on the Vols QB situation. I won't bore you with the details, and some hater on here is just going to rake me over the coals for bringing something up that's on another thread (heaven knows this forum is sacred ground), but I'll put myself out there anyway. The general consensus from the debate was that they continue to play JG in order to keep HB or BM from really being able to show what they can do, for fear that if one of them comes on strong and separates from the pack (not happening, by the way), then Kaidon Salter may go elsewhere for fear that the job could be sewn up for 2-3 years. That's all, now go ahead and hate on me, I can take it.
That sounds like the exact thinking that Pruitt has. And it's dumb

Reactions: mrredskin and 1vol8
yes. let's don't bother trying to win now. Let's lose 7 games this year so we can get one QB prospect that may or may not pan out. That sounds about right for Pruitt and the boys from "Our Gang"

No hate here...although if Salter is that afraid of competition (or that much or a primadonna*) that he can't handle some competition or a possible other player being QB1 for a season or two in front of him, I'd question what that says about him. The other take could be that the Coach Beldar's Brain Trust thinks that may be the case and they want another young QB whose development they can neglect. Honestly though, it's not like certain stooges on the coaching staff have shown any ability/desire to develop the reasonably talented players at their disposal anyhow.

* I have no idea whether he's a primadonna or not, just talking in terms of that possibility

I felt the same way last year. I feel Pruitt kept Maurer off the field as much as he could to protect the Bailey commitment. That doesn’t mean I believe Bailey wouldn’t have committed anyway but it’s just as possible he’d have looked elsewhere if Pruitt given the impression of a coach that committed to a qb. I think it’s entirely possible that he’s doing the same again to protect Salter. If HB or BM we’re to be prepared and come in and show improvement week to week, it’s understandable that Salter may keep his options open. So there is a big part of me that thinks that may be why Pruitt has avoided putting back ups in any position to succeed.

Reactions: VOLnBama01
No hate here...although if Salter is that afraid of competition (or that much or a primadonna*) that he can't handle some competition or a possible other player being QB1 for a season or two in front of him, I'd question what that says about him. The other take could be that the Coach Beldar's Brain Trust thinks that may be the case and they want another young QB whose development they can neglect. Honestly though, it's not like certain stooges on the coaching staff have shown any ability/desire to develop the reasonably talented players at their disposal anyhow.

* I have no idea whether he's a primadonna or not, just talking in terms of that possibility
Salter came out last week and said his commitment was rock solid. This is sports talk guys creating a weak narrative on a slow day.

Salter came out last week and said his commitment was rock solid. This is sports talk guys creating a weak narrative on a slow day.

I think the truth is some where in the middle. There’s no reason that almost two months into a season that there isn’t one back up that can run at least 50% of the playbook. JG doesn’t need 80% of practice reps as a 5th year senior. BM and Shrout look worse this year, and They can run checks from the sideline. The truth is they’ve put all their eggs in with JG since the summer.

There is no proof that Kaidon Salter is going to come in here and be any better than what is here. There is a difference between high school and College. Pruitt would throw JG out there with Peyton standing on the sideline. I still think Pruitt is trying to get himself fired. There is no attempt in trying to get this team better, he looks lost.

I think the truth is some where in the middle. There’s no reason that almost two months into a season that there isn’t one back up that can run at least 50% of the playbook. JG doesn’t need 80% of practice reps as a 5th year senior. BM and Shrout look worse this year, and They can run checks from the sideline. The truth is they’ve put all their eggs in with JG since the summer.
I’d be more worried about his parents and coaches giving him advise than him tbh. Kids his age think they can move mountains by themselves and Pruitt is giving the impression that it’s his job to take in his mind. The older, wiser advisers however? Pruitt ain’t pulling no chit over their eyes if they’re even remotely paying attention.

He benched him yes but he benched him unwillingly and with the understanding that he’d be back. That’s not quite being benched.
Whatever you want to call it, when a 4th year Junior gets sat down in game 4 in favor of a true freshman, that's pretty indicative of a coach not being married to a QB. If Maurer hadn't had bad luck with injuries and could've stayed on the field, we wouldn't have seen nearly as much of JG.

Whatever you want to call it, when a 4th year Junior gets sat down in game 4 in favor of a true freshman, that's pretty indicative of a coach not being married to a QB. If Maurer hadn't had bad luck with injuries and could've stayed on the field, we wouldn't have seen nearly as much of JG.
I understand that but I bet you’ve been a fan of the game all your life and you can’t name one time that a coach “benched” a qb and flat out said he’d still play before he knew how the younger one would perform. I know I can’t.

K Salter is so talented with arm talent and speed and quickness. He also has the IT Factor this coaching staff loves him. So rather Pruitt or next coach they will benefit from his talent. In CHRIST Alone

I understand that but I bet you’ve been a fan of the game all your life and you can’t name one time that a coach “benched” a qb and flat out said he’d still play before he knew how the younger one would perform. I know I can’t.
It’s coachspeak. Guys get benched all the time and the standard line is something to the effect of “We may need him later” or “He can help us down the line”.

It’s coachspeak. Guys get benched all the time and the standard line is something to the effect of “We may need him later” or “He can help us down the line”.
If that’s the way he put it I’d agree. But he put it like this: “JG WILL still play. He’s GOING to help us win games”. Your example is coach speak. Mine is a guarantee.

Bawahaha, tanking for the high draft pick. ;)

Reactions: tbh

VN Store

Back