Recruiting Forum Football Talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tifwiw but the same high level donor that told me Vq was covering for Pruitt about firing the DL coach during the game just said no way a change is going to be made. Said an AD staffer told him yesterday the money is just too tough now and those with the $ to change that don’t have the enthusiasm for the program as they once had.

Understand this, but if it were to be a situation where JP has just figured out he doesn't want to be a HC and would rather be able to stick with DC, then the whole "money" issue would cease to be a factor.

But I think this supports what AV has been posting as well as not everyone being on board. Not being on board doesn't have to be disagreement, it can be lack of enthusiasm as well.

Let's say JP is leaning to a return to DC work. How much would you all be willing to let Pruitt keep of his salary to slide into the DC role if it meant being able to grab Freeze or a similarly impressive HC now?

Me, I'd have no qualms with giving him $1.5M a year for 6 years or $9M guaranteed if he's waive the other $3M-3.5M that we'd owe him for a straight firing. But he'd have to work on his defensive staff. It's clear that it's a @@#$% show right now.

The fact that Hubbs hasn't shot down any talk of new coach and is actually naming names is telling... Makes me think if it does go south (3-7) there's a small but growing chance something happens. Maybe mutual
Makes me think there must already be talk and possibly an agreement between Pruitt and Fulmer. Might be why he didn’t wear a Tennessee shirt yesterday...he hates the Vols so much, that he’s not going to wear the colors now that he doesn’t have to. Hubbs doesn’t talk about things like that off the cuff...he’s getting a feel from the fanbase for the AD as to how we would respond. I think it might be really good news that he’s mentioning Freeze so much. We will see.

Understand this, but if it were to be a situation where JP has just figured out he doesn't want to be a HC and would rather be able to stick with DC, then the whole "money" issue would cease to be a factor.

But I think this supports what AV has been posting as well as not everyone being on board. Not being on board doesn't have to be disagreement, it can be lack of enthusiasm as well.

Let's say JP is leaning to a return to DC work. How much would you all be willing to let Pruitt keep of his salary to slide into the DC role if it meant being able to grab Freeze or a similarly impressive HC now?

Me, I'd have no qualms with giving him $1.5M a year for 6 years or $9M guaranteed if he's waive the other $3M-3.5M that we'd owe him for a straight firing. But he'd have to work on his defensive staff. It's clear that it's a @@#$% show right now.

I couldn't see a scenario where the old HC took a demotion to stay on the current coaching staff. I wouldn't hate it, but I don't think it realistic.

Just another reason to make a HC move if you're going to. I know the perception is not great, but I don't think anyone in college football would hold it against the UT Admin if the end result is HF.
I don't see it, unless Pruitt and Fulmer have an agreement in place which is possible, there most likely won't be a change. Also HF is a pipe dream if there is a change it will be another coach mcgoogle. The best case scenario is Pruitt figures it out. Now, if reports are true that Chaney was kind of forced on Pruitt then when the next hire is made they need to get out of his way and let him get who he wants.

Reactions: VOLSONLY
You’ve got your head in the sand if you think there’s been 0 conversation about it. You think not a single donor or admin has brought it up, even casually? Very doubtful.
i don't think it's a serious consideration currently. and i definitley don't think it gets more serious becuse he tweeted out something about JP's contract.

NOTHING like that has ever been uttered about any of the past 3 coaching hires. Now is the time. This may be the last window for another decade or more for Tennessee to take a step forward rather than a step backward or remaining stuck in mediocrity.

agree.

Also of note, if the SEC had beef with Hugh Freeze as OC here, no way in hell Fulmer and Tennessee don't pitch strongly against USC and Auburn for his return as HC.
As long as Will Wade is at LSU, Bruce Pearl is at Auburn, Ben Howland is at MSU, Lane Kiffin is at Ole Miss, I don't believe for a second any of the SEC narrative. It may be a UT issue, but until those coaches are no longer in the league I don't buy it that Freeze couldn't come into this league. If so, what will the story be if he ends up at South Carolina or Auburn?

All things equal with Fulmer on board, Freeze chooses UT over SC. Would think the same about Auburn BUT that admin would be able to sell him on having his back on doing what needs to be done to compete against Bama. Price tag would be hefty if they became players in this imaginary sweepstakes.
Isn't Gus's contract buyout like some insane amount?

agreed

Sunday I posted our best case scenario was that Pruitt hates the fans, hates working for Fulmer and decides it’s time to return to his routes where he can enjoy coaching more. It’s certainly possible but I’m afraid not likely

Reactions: crazyguy
As long as Will Wade is at LSU, Bruce Pearl is at Auburn, Ben Howland is at MSU, Lane Kiffin is at Ole Miss, I don't believe for a second any of the SEC narrative. It may be a UT issue, but until those coaches are no longer in the league I don't buy it that Freeze couldn't come into this league. If so, what will the story be if he ends up at South Carolina or Auburn?
That would be Tennessees gripe. You didn't allow it here but allow it there?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back