Recruiting Forum Football Talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the "gassed D" defense is perfectly plausible for the second half of UGA. I think they were honestly gassed.
Tough to say, but kinda believable when we got beat badly in the first half on defense. We defended 45(!) plays in the first half and gave up over 300 yards (50 yards of penalties). They allowed 15 first downs in just the first half alone. Being on the field 20 of the 30 first half minutes may certainly have hurt them later in the game, who knows.

That said, S&C is surely down for everyone this year. But if they had gotten off the field in the first half, that could have helped a lot down the stretch.

Reactions: TurnoverTrashCan
Would you all rather go 4-6 with HB as the starter or 5-5 with JG as the starter? This is a tough one for me because I want to win every game but I think with JG it is past the point of no return with most fans. Everyone is ready for him to move on.
I’m not so sure it would only be a one game difference. Other than that one throw I see why he hasn’t played. Having said that I’d be fine with taking fewer wins under the circumstances. But some of the fans calling for the change would be the most vocal in criticizing the losses.

Go after him anyways. We will probably only have Bailey and Salter going into next year that should play. I bet Shrout and Maurer transfer and we can only pray that JG moves on. Let those three battle it out. Blows my mind that UCF has more talent at QB than we do.
Coaches have to tell JG he can't come back right?

He'll coach them for 3 or 4 whatever practices they have this week. Against probably a top 5 national OL. Coaching of any kind needs tons of time to take effect. Even the greatest DL coach in the world couldn't have a real effect in 1 week imo.

Now, effort is different, but who is to say they haven't been giving 100% effort the past 4 games? CJP hasn't been happy with them all offseason. It seems more a long-term issue with the current players.

Whatever we see Saturday won't be the fault or to the credit of CJP imo. Fwiw, I think they've played quite well and could play just fine again Saturday. Could use more pass rush, but that is as much on the OLBs as on the DT/DEs. They started slow (very slow and much worse) last season too and progressed.
If they play harder we will be able to notice it. I don't expect 10 sacks and we just smoke Bama, but it should be easy to tell if they're giving more effort.

My dude is the toughest. Next up is a 5-week break at home. Chemo starts after Thanksgiving. God is able. I do not know how people go through stuff like this without faith holding them together like glue.

View attachment 316211

Side note: the day my brother shared this news few months ago, a new song was on the radio the instant I got off the phone (It’s gonna be ok by Tasha Layton). And just now when he sent me this picture, the same song came on. I’m a wreck. Life is so precious.
People that are fortunate enough to walk out of a hospital with one of those radiation masks are warriors 🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏i drove my best buddy to 30 treatments and almost 1000 miles and he gave me his.8A267B1C-D06C-46BD-A43F-9E899BFDA8D7.jpeg

You obviously know, because you mentioned at least twice last week about Alontae, and no one answered your kind of question/statement. I didn’t even know Alontae was hurt last week. So, I guess Small is out this week.

I think I caught a glimpse of small at the end of this video so maybe he’s ok

Not sure if it's because of Covid, or coaching choices, but the energy this year is not what I expected it would be. Seems like other teams were able to get around it, but not us.

Feels to me every team, outside Bama, has been where we are now, or close to it, mentally at some point this season and that will ebb and flow due to the chaos inherent in this season. Every base has their own context and level of displeasure, but don't think for a second they are all happy and we are the only disorganized group.

UF has had TERRIBLE defense (board has been rabid over their DC), uga got ran by Bama and is questionable on offense (they were REALLY low after Arky game and now after Bama), tamu almost lost to VANDY and were ran by Bama (lots pissed at Jimbo), even Bama has an unusual level of weakness on defense (Bammers questioning their recent DCs)...

Then we have at .500:
auburn
Arky (ok they are probably pretty happy)
uk
usce

...below .500:
LSU (reigning champs)
Mizzou
Vandy
Miss St
Ole Miss

i think the only QB i trust less than JG is JT...lol. that dude can look like Dan Marino one second, then look like Mark Sanchez the next. inexplicable decision making by that kid.

the unknown is maurer. Bailey is too, but i worry less about that because he's a true freshman and has not gotten a lot of reps period. so while he's an unknown, at least i know why....

if it's me, i do kinda lean toward the idea that starting against bama isn't exactly ideal for anyone's first real game, much less start.

so if you want to start JG and just rotate QB's, regardless, i think i'd be ok with that. we did it way back when with several different QB combos, but most notably with Brandon STewart and Peyton Manning. there were a set # of plays each would take, the series were pre determined, and it didn't really matter what you did, good or bad; when your time was up, the next guy went in.

Spurrier obviously famously did it with several different combos, with varying degrees of success, but i'd say on the whole, it worked pretty well....

at this point, play all 4...hell, give them all a quarter....i don't think it's gonna matter, but we need to have some idea of what we're gonna do next at the position, for sure....and doing the same thing we've done isn't working.
There’s NO WAY I would start JG Saturday. If he saw the field he would come off the bench. I’d start Maurer or Shrout, preferably Maurer

That’s part of the process of us consoling ourselves this week.
yeah, it really sucks... my boys are 15 and 17, and they’ve never seen the Tennessee football that I know, and to make matters worse, we live in Georgia and they have to listen to @*&$#* Dawg fans all the time. I want to see us be feared again and I am still hoping Pruitt will get it done.

I recall listening to a podcast with a black comedian, I believe it was Deon Cole. (It may have been W Kamau Bell or Kegan Key?) Anyway, it was on Conan's PC.

He stated that his influences regarding his brand of comedy were different. Talked about Jackie Gleason & Carroll O Connor, specifically the stereotypes discussed in 'All in the Family' as being thought provoking to him. Granted its subjective, paraphrasing that AIF had an impact on his comedy by discussing things that needed to be out in the open. It was an interesting slant.

Gleason was one of my fav comedians.

At any rate this kind of PC is right up my alley. Did tons of grad research on it. Also happen to love comedy.

If y'all get a chance listen to the Kegan Michael Key or W Kamau Bell PC on Conan Needs a Friend. Absolutely hysterical.
Speaking of Deon Cole - he is on this new Netflix show by Bert Kreischer called The Cabin. I don't love Bert, but it's a good show. He brings comedians/actors up to this cabin to do a bunch of random activities. It's slightly corny because parts of it are clearly staged, but the rest is just them talking and having fun and those parts are good. There were definitely a few moments that had us in tears.

To me, starting JG is basically conceding a loss. It's saying we expect to lose. Even if that's reality, a football coach should never concede a game before it's played. If one game is going to rattle HB, that in itself is a problem IMO. QB has to have the mental toughness to spring back from a tough loss. If HB isn't mentally tough, I think that puts us right back to the dilemma we have with JG. But if you don't want to play HB, play Maurer. Just not JG. It feels like we're giving up before we even play if we continue the "JG is our best option" narrative.
Using the argument posters are using to play HB, it would be the opposite. If we're saying let's play BM because this year doesn't count anyway, let's play BM now and get ready for 2021, we're willing to take our lumps now, etc., that says we're conceding a loss or more. I'm ok with that, but that would be message given the argument..

Reactions: Rishvol
yeah, it really sucks... my boys are 15 and 17, and they’ve never seen the Tennessee football that I know, and to make matters worse, we live in Georgia and they have to listen to @*&$#* Dawg fans all the time. I want to see us be feared again and I still hoping Pruitt will get it done.
I know how you feel, my son is 28 and was 6 when our National Championship happened. He was a gator 🤮 fan up until he was 18. Yes, I failed as a mother and think he was just rebelling. I’ve since corrected him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back