Defensive Leaders Should Step Up for a QB Change

Shrout showed he can with the quick int.

Maurer showed he can last year.

Do people not remember beyond one game or something?

Bailey is the only other qb that should even be discussed. If he is ready give him a shot.

The other guys don't play for a reason.
The reason is bad team management.
By Pruitt.

Maurer took JGs job last year.
A TRUE FRESHMAN
Not because Maurer was so awesome in practice or the game, but because JG played so awful they had to make a change.
Then he got injured...

And here we are again! Just like i said we would be.
Because your guy can't consistently produce at QB so we need to work other "unprepared " options

You can't keep pushing your same trifling and tired narrative that JG is the best option when your boy is piling up losses..

KY ran over them on their first drive of the second half for a TD. They weren't tired then. Then ran over them on their second possession for a FG. If the defense was gassed 2 possessions into the 2nd half we have some serious S&C problems.

Wait...Kentucky just completed another slant for a 15 yard gain.

Reactions: hog88
So they should demand the players that they know are worse than JG should play just in the name of making a change?
No. They should demand that a COMPLETELY ineffective 5th year senior who is holding the team back be replaced even if there are some mistakes to overcome with a younger, more talented player.

I guess we should have benched Casey Clausen when he had 4 fumbles in one half.
You engage in this kind of dishonesty CONSTANTLY. Clausen put points on the board. After starting too early as a true Fr, he went on to pass for almost 10,000 yards and lead UT to big wins over top rivals. There's simply no comparison of the "capital" earned by Clausen and the lack thereof by JG.

Other than Mauer, all have had a much shorter leash than JG when they got the opportunity. Not to mention the fact that JG takes the vast majority of practice reps, limiting the development opportunities for the others...with sub-par results to show for it.

Coaching, personnel, and development.

Why do you think that is? They have a limited grasp of the playbook, don't know the check downs and have to play in a vanilla scheme just to get through a game. If we're going to take the air out of the ball and run 50 times a game behind a 5 star O-Line, changing qb's has merit. Actually putting the game on 3 star qb's shoulders or a true freshman is another story. I don't think the Alabama game is the time to fish or cut bait with a freshmen, but afterwards, sure. He's gonna take his lumps though. We have to have some real competition in the qb room, period, before a change is warranted.

Why do you think that is? They have a limited grasp of the playbook, don't know the check downs and have to play in a vanilla scheme just to get through a game. If we're going to take the air out of the ball and run 50 times a game behind a 5 star O-Line, changing qb's has merit. Actually putting the game on 3 star qb's shoulders or a true freshman is another story. I don't think the Alabama game is the time to fish or cut bait with a freshmen, but afterwards, sure. He's gonna take his lumps though. We have to have some real competition in the qb room, period, before a change is warranted.

We don't have a shot at all with JG playing. We have a better chance playing the Freshman or Shrout against Bama than we do JG. Don't care if they get beat up all night, it's called a learning experience and hopefully, they will get better from it, something JG has never done. He just keeps getting worse.

We don't have a shot at all with JG playing. We have a better chance playing the Freshman or Shrout against Bama than we do JG. Don't care if they get beat up all night, it's called a learning experience and hopefully, they will get better from it, something JG has never done. He just keeps getting worse.

It's called insanity to get your brains beat in in your first game as a starter against a top 5 defense. Crushing a freshman's confidence or worse, getting him hurt, doesn't seem like the smart play. I'd rather tell JG to hand the ball to 3 or 8 all day.

At some point, they probably should go with Bailey. Against Bama isn't the time.

This defense has one of the worst third down conversion rates in the nation. Almost 50%. There is no pass rush without blitzing.

Still, I’m not following the, “Ok, we suck like hell on offense. On defense, we are stopping the run, but our LBs are slow and not setting edge. DBs are getting run by, and middle of the field is wide open. So, we gonna fire the Dline coach.”

They are even worse on offense converting 3rd downs....26.4 %

3rd down is a major problem for this team on both side of the ball.

Speaks to scheme and playcalling IMO.

Instead, we are getting a d line coach firing and a half-witted defense of JG in blaming other players for his mistakes.

Reactions: Roustabout
To answer your question as to "why"...coaching. Quarterbacks don't develop in a vacuum, or by osmosis. The coach is in charge of personnel, and development. As I have said, it's malfeasance in year 3 to have neither coached up the starters obvious deficiencies, developed a workable backup, nor recruited or transferred in someone you can.

The good news for you and me is that we don't get paid exorbitant amounts of public funds to make, or not make in this case, these types of decisions. That's Pruitt's job...at the moment.

If he trots JG out there and refuses to bench him if he commits a turnover, then I hope we get blown out badly. If he wants to be stubborn, let him die on the JG sword.

I don't think it's a stretch to say they are gonna get blown out badly regardless.

Jones, Smith Waddle, and Metchie will abuse the secondary Saturday.

Alabama has become the new WRU.

It's called insanity to get your brains beat in in your first game as a starter against a top 5 defense. Crushing a freshman's confidence or worse, getting him hurt, doesn't seem like the smart play. I'd rather tell JG to hand the ball to 3 or 8 all day.

At some point, they probably should go with Bailey. Against Bama isn't the time.

It's also called "Insanity" to keep trotting JG out there and expect a different result.

Reactions: Lilcarl731

We called a second half Saturday like we were trying to protect a freshman's confidence after a rocky start. The problem is, the QB is a 5th year Sr. And to that point he had put the game in a position that we couldn't just line up, run it and play defense to win.

If that's the plan going forward you can carry that out with any or a combination of QBs on the roster. JG has put Pruitt in a terrible spot. The one thing you could point back to (taking care of the ball) with JG is no longer there to point to.

Bama has become a glorified scrimmage before a bye week. If you re gonna make a change, I want whoever is gonna get that opportunity to get it sooner rather than later. You can call a game to protect them better. Thats already happening.

KY ran over them on their first drive of the second half for a TD. They weren't tired then. Then ran over them on their second possession for a FG. If the defense was gassed 2 possessions into the 2nd half we have some serious S&C problems.
The defense quit after being put in a 17-0 hole. They have no confidence in JG

So they should demand the players that they know are worse than JG should play just in the name of making a change?

Makes perfect sense.
Casey Clausen didn't make the same mistakes over and over 4 years straight. Casey Clausen also beat Alabama 3 times, Florida 2 times, played for a SEC championship, Clausen also went 35-12 as a starter. I don't think comparing JG to Clausen is going to get you any support.

Makes perfect sense.
My goodness!!!!!!!!!!! JG isn't anywhere near the stratosphere of Casey Clausen. And they don't know the other guys are worse

Makes perfect sense.
Clausen was 34-10 as a starting quarterback, and he was 14-1 in road games. What is Jarret's win /loss. I really do not know.

Reactions: BigOrangeCrush32

VN Store

Back