Recruiting Forum Football Talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday continued a disturbing trend of blowouts under Pruitt. Many of them were against superior teams, but there have also been several against the likes of Missouri and Vandy as well. The only explanation that seems mildly hopeful is that the players know in their hearts that JG is incapable of bringing them back from even a two-score deficit so they just quit once it gets to that point. Better QB play could fix that, and the alternative is just too depressing to contemplate.

If I were Pruitt, I'd recalibrate my goals for this season. The idea of game-managing our way to a 5-5 record or even 6-4 should be manifestly rejected at this point. Throw Shrout or Maurer out there as the cannon-fodder for Alabama next week, then spend two weeks getting Harrison Bailey ready for Arkansas and stick with him the rest of the way out. The only thing that Pruitt has to sell to this fanbase is the future. If he can start developing HB, freshman mistakes and all, that will extend his leash in Knoxville.

It’s just occurring to me the common denominator in all of this is one thing. The university of Tennessee. There is something wrong with our program, somewhere, that has not been fixed. There is a reason we are seeing the same problems in year 3, under the 4th head coach and countless assistant coaches. What is it?
Mike freaking Hamilton. He ruinnned Tennessee football.
😎

agreed.
It is more than that. And we are still very much in program development mode. We all, I think, still knew that going in to this season.

Yesterday's performance.......... Even knowing we're still in that mode..... Is inexplicable.... So bad all the way around.....

It didn't exactly fit the narrative of taking steps in the right direction... Which, again, until yesterday I believed we were/are.

View attachment 315447

Agreed. And I'm fine with either the Majors/Dabo method of long term building. Or the current SEC trend of "3yrs, show me the results or get".
But I refuse to go down the TN rinse and repeat "it's obviously the assistants and too many heartless players" road, again.

I'll second what @butchna said - Texas fans will gladly pay Herb Hand's moving expenses to get him to Knoxville tomorrow if we wanted him. He's missed on a historically great class of OL recruits in the 2021 class in Texas, including two legacies of a former Texas player. When Hand took over in 2018 the OL was decent that year, then has steadily regressed under his tutelage and is arguably the worst position group on the team right now (but that's a hotly contested honor on Texas this year).
The Brockermeyer brothers to Bama. The equivalent of losing Cade and Cooper in one shot.

Reactions: Dudley Smith
Agreed. And I'm fine with either the Majors/Dabo method of long term building. Or the current SEC trend of "3yrs, show me the results or get".
But I refuse to go down the TN rinse and repeat "it's obviously the assistants and too many heartless players" road, again.
Yeah I feel like we've tried all "the formulas".

Bottom line is it's still about leadership.

I don't know that this current staff lacks it or not.

But that's what we need. And not the cliche "leadership"lip service....

Anyway.... It's Sunday and the sun came up. The world didn't end... Lol

We said the same thing last year. Jg won games down the stretch.

I don't necessarily disagree... Overall....But for the future the QB is the biggest deal we have to address.

It is, along with the o line he inherited, the biggest issue the program has had.
When the schedule got easier and our defense caught fire. Our schedule is hard the entire year this year. The team showed me yesterday that they are ready for a change. Even in losses last year, the team did not quit. They fought hard every game. Kentucky was different, they quit on their coach.

Yesterday continued a disturbing trend of blowouts under Pruitt. Many of them were against superior teams, but there have also been several against the likes of Missouri and Vandy as well. The only explanation that seems mildly hopeful is that the players know in their hearts that JG is incapable of bringing them back from even a two-score deficit so they just quit once it gets to that point. Better QB play could fix that, and the alternative is just too depressing to contemplate.

If I were Pruitt, I'd recalibrate my goals for this season. The idea of game-managing our way to a 5-5 record or even 6-4 should be manifestly rejected at this point. Throw Shrout or Maurer out there as the cannon-fodder for Alabama next week, then spend two weeks getting Harrison Bailey ready for Arkansas and stick with him the rest of the way out. The only thing that Pruitt has to sell to this fanbase is the future. If he can start developing HB, freshman mistakes and all, that will extend his leash in Knoxville.
Getting blown out at TN is not exclusive to this staff or this head coach.

It’s just occurring to me the common denominator in all of this is one thing. The university of Tennessee. There is something wrong with our program, somewhere, that has not been fixed. There is a reason we are seeing the same problems in year 3, under the 4th head coach and countless assistant coaches. What is it?

Wish I knew.

Reactions: Behr
When the schedule got easier and our defense caught fire. Our schedule is hard the entire year this year. The team showed me yesterday that they are ready for a change. Even in losses last year, the team did not quit. They fought hard every game. Kentucky was different, they quit on their coach.
Agree yesterday was different. And no I don't expect another 8 game win streak to start week after next....

Just saying... At this point 2019 and 2020 look and sound an awful lot alike.

Reactions: Behr and Devo182
UGA lost because Stetson Bennett IV is just a wittle guy and couldn't throw the ball over all those bigguns bama has up front.

Bama was able to do what I talked about last week... Put UGA's offense in a stressful position where they had to keep pace. It made them more predictable, and bama has more than enough talent on defense to do it.

And bama's WR's are RIDICULOUS....
I don't think having a taller QB would've helped UGA that much. Bama is just a lot better on defense than UGA is on offense. Bama is too balanced on offense. They averaged 5 yards a clip running the ball. UGA can't really commit to stopping the run and leave their secondary in space. Those WRs are fast and their TE is used properly. I mean, their QB actually went through his progressions. JG threw a 4 yard out in press coverage that was promptly pick sixed. 🤦🏽‍♂️

Reactions: Smyrna ATL Vol
I’m at the point where I’m with others. I have better things to do on Saturday. I’ll record the game and decide later if I’m going to watch.

I’m just not interested in watching UT get embarrassed while UGA and Bama steamroll themselves into another SECCG.

I don't think having a taller QB would've helped UGA that much. Bama is just a lot better on defense than UGA is on offense. Bama is too balanced on offense. They averaged 5 yards a clip running the ball. UGA can't really commit to stopping the run and leave their secondary in space. Those WRs are fast and their TE is used properly. I mean, their QB actually went through his progressions. JG threw a 4 yard out in press coverage that was promptly pick sixed. 🤦🏽‍♂️
It would have. His release point is naturally low which is why so many balls get batted at the LOS. Then he hikes the throw and ends up over throwing his target.

Getting blown out at TN is not exclusive to this staff or this head coach.

Sadly, you are correct, but it is the common denominator in failed coaching regimes since 2010. In year three I was hoping for better and this is not an encouraging indicator.

More ominously, getting blown out at home against Kentucky is now something that is exclusive to this staff and head coach. Getting blown out by Kentucky at home feels like the last seal of of mediocrity has been broken.

If Jeremy can get over himself, HB starts in practice today. He then starts the rest of the season with JG as back-up. The recruits need to see their QB and leader take over to build confidence in the program. In addition, this team needs HB at QB to play hard again. Otherwise we are looking at 3 or 4 win season with quality recruits going elsewhere.

The players know and we know. Can't hide it anymore.

Three thoughts on yesterday:

1. What Mark Stoops has done at Kentucky is pretty remarkable. He should be a candidate for a top tier job in the future. Kentucky whipped our butts yesterday.

2. Next week must be JT Shrout’s opportunity and audition for the full time job. He needs to get first team reps all week and let it be his game. If he doesn’t look like the answer next week, then Harrison Bailey should get two weeks of first team reps and start the Arkansas game. It may not be completely fair to give JT a one game audition with it being against Bama - but this is his third year in the program. He either needs to swim or sink.

3. Pruitt needs to be (and I think is) evaluating whether Chaney is his guy at OC going into next season. Jury still out.

What we saw yesterday is a clear message that a major shakeup in offensive chemistry is past due.

We are gonna be fine, I still believe we are a good qb away. I’m getting impatient with Pruitt’s hardheaded way of managing QB though. He’s been slamming JG down everyone’s throats and the dude has done the same crap for 3 years. Screw practice, the guy is losing actual games for us that count coach! Play anyone else

Thats my point. Why prolong the inevitable? Maybe switching some coaches around will help, idk. But, its all about the Joe's. I really hope JP is the guy. Just some really bad losses on his resume.

He’s not getting fired especially after a year like this. Fulmer knows exactly what he had to deal with. Again, future coaches will take note when you fire someone after this weird year.

Pruitt will get players.

Reactions: VOLSONLY
Three thoughts on yesterday:

1. What Mark Stoops has done at Kentucky is pretty remarkable. He should be a candidate for a top tier job in the future. Kentucky whipped our butts yesterday.

2. Next week must be JT Shrout’s opportunity and audition for the full time job. He needs to get first team reps all week and let it be his game. If he doesn’t look like the answer next week, then Harrison Bailey should get two weeks of first team reps and start the Arkansas game. It may not be completely fair to give JT a one game audition with it being against Bama - but this is his third year in the program. He either needs to swim or sink.

3. Pruitt needs to be (and I think is) evaluating whether Chaney is his guy at OC going into next season. Jury still out.

What we saw yesterday is a clear message that a major shakeup in offensive chemistry is past due.
I just don’t believe Shrout is the guy. He seems like JG 2.0 imo, but I would be more willing to give the kid a chance than JG for sure.

Reactions: CreiveHallVol
I just don’t believe Shrout is the guy. He seems like JG 2.0 imo, but I would be more willing to give the kid a chance than JG for sure.

Yeah I think you may be right. I don’t like the idea of making HB’s 1st start be Bama. This seems like a great opportunity to really see what JT has. What is there to lose? Maybe he will surprise us. He looked good in his start against South Carolina last year before he got hurt.

If Jeremy can get over himself, HB starts in practice today. He then starts the rest of the season with JG as back-up. The recruits need to see their QB and leader take over to build confidence in the program. In addition, this team needs HB at QB to play hard again. Otherwise we are looking at 3 or 4 win season with quality recruits going elsewhere.

The players know and we know. Can't hide it anymore.
Problem is that I don’t think he can. His stubbornness may cost him his team and this fan base. No way you can continue to play JG. Yet he keeps trotting him out there.

Reactions: UTSuave’
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back