'21 GA OT Amarius Mims (Georgia commit)

We are talking about being competitive not winning. I want the program to be elite and not settling for 6 to 8 wins every year. You have to be competitive with the elites before you become elite. Not an unrealistic position and certainly not like your suggestion if I am interpreting it correctly.

Reactions: johnfnkelly
Yeah in our league you have to be inside the Top 10 in recruiting and even then have elite coaching and development to go along with it to compete with programs that are recruiting at a Top 2/3 level class.

If we were in the ACC, we’d probably be a 10-win team with a Top 15 class. We’re improving though and just have to keep winning to gradually improve recruiting.

Recruiting in the 10-15 range puts you at worst 2nd in the ACC. That just won’t cut it in the SEC.

We are talking about being competitive not winning. I want the program to be elite and not settling for 6 to 8 wins every year. You have to be competitive with the elites before you become elite. Not an unrealistic position and certainly not like your suggestion if I am interpreting it correctly.
We all want to be competitive. We all want to win. We all want to be elite. We all need to realize we are not moving straight from the bottom to the top. We can enjoy the progress being made as we climb the ladder or be miserable because there is a ladder.

You know, there comes a point when a person has to ask, " why waste my time?"

There's no talking to someone who seems to believe he or she is the only one that wants to be "elite"; and, also, has the gall to think that anyone who disagrees, and sees this rebuild for what it is...those people want "to settle for 6 to 8 wins every year". 🙄

You know, there comes a point when a person has to ask, " why waste my time?"

There's no talking to someone who seems to believe he or she is the only one that wants to be "elite"; and, also, has the gall to think that anyone who disagrees, and sees this rebuild for what it is...those people want "to settle for 6 to 8 wins every year". 🙄
“I’m a great fan! If you don’t believe me? Ask me!”

We all want to be competitive. We all want to win. We all want to be elite. We all need to realize we are not moving straight from the bottom to the top. We can enjoy the progress being made as we climb the ladder or be miserable because there is a ladder.
This is year 3. We need to start being competitive this year against Georgia and Florida with the hope we will be contending for the division and conference championships in years 4 & 5.

Edit: competitive against Florida & Alabama.

Last edited:
Reactions: mr.checkerboards
Not surprising after last weeks beatdown. Can't go out a lay a turd and expect to get an instate player of the other team. Players performances mean something to some guys, and ours guys don't play like big game hunters. There is more to be said but I won't. Gotta have players that know how to win.

Time to stop talking about 4-8 now. You cannot use that excuse forever.

Not forever. It’s only 3 years later.

Pruitt has only had 2 full recruiting classes.

This is a different conversation if we’re 5 years in. But this isn’t a regular “this is year 3”. Not only were we awful at football 3 years ago but in that timeframe the teams we really want to beat, sans FL, have had some of their best seasons and recruiting classes ever. That’s called context. And it matters. Pruitt is a football coach, not a magician.

Edit: Also, we haven’t even played Bama or FL this season

Not forever. It’s only 3 years later.

Pruitt has only had 2 full recruiting classes.

This is a different conversation if we’re 5 years in. But this isn’t a regular “this is year 3”. Not only were we awful at football 3 years ago but in that timeframe the teams we really want to beat, sans FL, have had some of their best seasons and recruiting classes ever. That’s called context. And it matters. Pruitt is a football coach, not a magician.

Edit: Also, we haven’t even played Bama or FL this season
It’s time to compete this year to get us the recruits needed to compete the next 3 years. The time is now , not next year.

It’s time to compete this year to get us the recruits needed to compete the next 3 years. The time is now , not next year.

So you think missing on Mims and let’s say Nyland Green drastically changes the direction of the program? You can’t be talking about a lot of dudes bc our class is nearly full.

Didn’t include Mondon bc nobody knows what he’s thinking but the last feeling was months ago and it was AU at the time. Unless you’re guaranteeing if we compete with those teams then Mondon will sign with us?

Didn’t include TID bc that dude changes his mind hourly. Unless you’re guaranteeing if we compete with those teams then TID signs with us?

So basically you think the program’s results the next 3 years are hinging on 2 recruits.

So you think missing on Mims and let’s say Nyland Green drastically changes the direction of the program? You can’t be talking about a lot of dudes bc our class is nearly full.

Didn’t include Mondon bc nobody knows what he’s thinking but the last feeling was months ago and it was AU at the time. Unless you’re guaranteeing if we compete with those teams then Mondon will sign with us?

Didn’t include TID bc that dude changes his mind hourly. Unless you’re guaranteeing if we compete with those teams then TID signs with us?

So basically you think the program’s results the next 3 years are hinging on 2 recruits.
Sorry to inform you but logic is not allowed here. I have informed Sankey and you will be hearing from him shortly regarding your fine.

Thank you and have a nice day......

Every missed recruit hurts us. Mims hurts us. Plus we can give Giit shirts to the recruits committed so far if we can replace them with higher rated recruits.
We have to start winning the recruiting battles like Mims and the easiest way to do it is to compete with the three teams our schedule who usually beat us decisively.

Reactions: vols 30
Just shut up. Seriously. Everyone sees that you don’t understand logic and won’t hear it. Just go away. Thank you, have a nice day.
He could present his argument better, but he's not entirely wrong. Players are the building blocks of the program, so when we miss on high-rated players, that's another missed opportunity to take a step forward in talent. One of the biggest debates we have in this forum is about talent disparity. In order to make that up, we have to land as many top-rated players as we can. So every missed opportunity hurts. It doesn't make it the end of the world, but it does add time to us "catching up", so to speak, to the other elite programs. And after so many years of wandering the desert, UT fans are thirsty for success. Frustration runs deep, and we want now, rather than later, but we're going to have to be content that it's going to take as long as it takes. It's not as if we've remained in place, we have moved forward under Pruitt. As long as that continues, we just need to let the process play out.

We're all frustrated. There's nothing wrong with expressing disappointment in losing out on star players. Arguing amongst ourselves over that frustration is pointless. We all want the same things, for the Vols to be elite. We all want to get to the same place. It's okay to have different opinions on how we get there.

I have him on ignore
When you tell people to shut up you are losing the debate and apparently lack maturity. Is that the best you have to offer. SMDH! Put me on ignore if you like. I will continue to post here.
to be honest, I just get so annoyed and irritated with how you approach your arguments. You don’t know how to discuss without saying the most outlandish things. I’m actually not only an educated person, I help manage 70 other employees in my company on top of training new employees. Soooo, I’m quite mature. I’m just fed up with all the negativity and the expectations of we should be elite right after we just went winless in the conference 3 years ago. That’s one of the most valid reasons why we’re missing on top end talent right now. You have to be logical and reasonable. Both of which most posters on here do not possess these things. So pardon me for being completely honest and put out with the negative energy and inability to see reality.

Reactions: Volsurance
I can sense all the bad karma in this thread. I'm like Obi Wan, sensing a great disturbance in the force.

It's all gonna be okay.

Eventually.

VN Store

Back