'20 Recruiting Forum: Official Georgia Pregame/Game Thread

Kellen Mond just beat Florida, I stopped reading right there.

I really don't think it is fair to compare JG's performance against GA to Mond's performance against UF. UF's defense is bad enough that it is a topic for the talking heads. JG vs Mond against common opponents is certainly fair though.

Reactions: Devo182
Lawrence doesn't have three turnovers I'd say that much
I think people don’t realize this is the biggest issue. Not the fact that JG got pressured etc.... the issue is he got pressured and made a terrible throw off his back foot running backwards for no reason resulting in an interception, then proceeded to fumble the ball 3 times instead of feeling the pressure and taking the sack, we don’t turn those balls over and that game is way closer. Way way way closer. Our defense was doing good when we were able to play bend don’t break football. But you can’t give a team a short field like that repeatedly.

Those blitzes don’t happen with Lawrence. That’s the point. When you have a QB who can torch you on any type of throw those blitzes don’t happen as often

I understand that thinking.

But I say they do happen against Lawrence. Against Lawrence with Clemson’s team? No, but against Lawrence with our team currently? I believe they would happen.

UGA was confident they could get to the QB whenever they wanted. And they did. Repeatedly.

I’m not saying Lawrence wouldn’t have fared better than JG. Obv he would have. Just don’t think we win that game either way if you only swap out the QB is all.

I understand that thinking.

But I say they do happen against Lawrence. Against Lawrence with Clemson’s team? No, but against Lawrence with our team currently? I believe they would happen.

UGA was confident they could get to the QB whenever they wanted. And they did. Repeatedly.

I’m not saying Lawrence wouldn’t have fared better than JG. Obv he would have. Just don’t think we win that game either way if you only swap out the QB is all.
I think with a different QB you don’t have as many 3 and outs and your line actually decides it wants to block something.... I mean when your first series back from going up at halftime and getting a goal line stand is your QB running backwards and throwing the ball directly to a defender..... what’s your line think about that? Either get rid of the ball or take the sack it isn’t that hard don’t just lob the ball up like a potato

Also, with those types of turnovers your line has no ability to sit down and talk about what to fix and how to fix it. You give the other team a short field and they score and there isn’t time to make adjustments

Reactions: Skullbone
I think with a different QB you don’t have as many 3 and outs and your line actually decides it wants to block something.... I mean when your first series back from going up at halftime and getting a goal line stand is your QB running backwards and throwing the ball directly to a defender..... what’s your line think about that? Either get rid of the ball or take the sack it isn’t that hard don’t just lob the ball up like a potato

Also, with those types of turnovers your line has no ability to sit down and talk about what to fix and how to fix it. You give the other team a short field and they score and there isn’t time to make adjustments

This doesn’t help my stance at all but actually the first strip sack happened before the INT coming out of halftime.

Let’s not act like the OL was good before that tho. Even if you take away what counts as JG’s rushes (10 for an astounding -40 yards), that OL still only managed to help us carry the ball 17 times for 39 yards. Not to mention the 5 or 6 false starts in a stadium with 20% capacity. Grow up, OL.

The OL was so embarrassingly bad when you have four former 5* starting. It’s like they never had their head in the game. Was really disappointed in what they put out there Saturday. Betting they are, too.

Reactions: cHiZzLeVOL
if Trevor Lawrence was our QB, we’d beat every team in the SEC including Bama

Agree we could. But we wouldn’t have won THAT game.

Trevor Lawrence can’t block blitzing linebackers, nor can he block DL who beat our OL in one on ones.

Broken protections happen, but at the rate they were happening in that game, nah not even Trevor Lawrence wins that specific game.

He got 16 touches in a game where we had -1 yards rushing. Had 8 receptions. With any type of running game, he would have had 20-25 touches.
he caught like 5/6 dump offs on check downs.
I’m talking about scheming him in mismatches/getting him the ball in space where he is the 1st option

UGA wouldn’t have been able to play the defenses they did vs a QB who can make every throw and get his team in the correct plays at the LOS

I don’t even think it was wrong protections.

It was literally RB whiffing on blitz protections and OL getting beat by the man in front of them. All around it was bad.

Reactions: jakez4ut
Yes, they would overload one side to get the protection to slide pre snap, and then blitz the weak side. That’s what happens when the QB doesn’t make pre snap reads and has to wait on the calls from the sideline.
Plus that keeps the olinemen in their stance and on their heels for so long.

We run no huddle but take 20 seconds to snap the ball, kinda defeating the purpose

Reactions: Bassmaster_Vol
I refuse to believe JG is the best we have. If he is, than y’all know where the problem is

If our backups are really that bad then what does that say for our future and if none of them have developed better than JG which can't take much to do, what does that say about our QB development? For me, we have seen for years what JG can do and he hasn't improved for the last 4 years, why not give a backup a chance? Why not get ready for next year? Our backups are going to have zero playing time according to how CP is approaching it this year. He has had chances to play a backup even in an obvious loss last week. I just don't get it.

If our backups are really that bad then what does that say for our future and if none of them have developed better than JG which can't take much to do, what does that say about our QB development? For me, we have seen for years what JG can do and he hasn't improved for the last 4 years, why not give a backup a chance? Why not get ready for next year? Our backups are going to have zero playing time according to how CP is approaching it this year. He has had chances to play a backup even in an obvious loss last week. I just don't get it.

Preaching to the choir. Anybody claiming to get it is BS'ing. If Pruitt is not playing the others because he doesn't want a QB controversy within the team, he is preferring to cap the performance of those same players on his team by not trying other QB's. The other option is that the staff is that bad at developing QB's that they are right with the belief they have none better than JG. If that is the case we will be in another coaching search by the end of 2021.

It's obvious - you play the other guys the rest of the season to see how they and the team performs. Let JG come in from the bullpen as needed.

Reactions: Orange Studs

VN Store

Back