JG stat

It gets worse when you take out the short easy throws. Thirteen SEC QB's have more than 15 attempts over 10 yards. The average of that group is 49.01%. The top three are Jones 75%, Hill 57.89%, and Corral 53..85%. JG is dead last in that group at 31.82%. Eight of the 13 are over 50%. Next worse is Mond at about 38.5%.

He's one of 3 QB's in the SEC who has not had a WR drop at that range. I don't think anyone questions whether UT's receivers have been getting open. Only 4 guys have been pressured less on throws that depth. He's 3rd worst in uncatchable passes at that range.

He MUST do better or he will cost UT games.
Good research. Expect a response from Pulaski Vol that will try to spin this.

Reactions: jacvols and sjt18
Hence the problem Mike Leach has generally had.
If he gets a good defensive recruiter/coordinator MSU will be a problem for all the SEC in the years to come. All the best WRs and qbs will want to play in that system so beating MSU will come down to out scoring them and that may not be an easy task.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
#80 on a Post Corner. Never went to the Post, and had to readjust to the throw to the corner against Mizzou.
Not sure that was a post corner as much as a ball thrown over the wrong shoulder. Seems if it were he would’ve expected to make the adjustment and it certainly seemed to catch him off guard. Jmo

Scratch that.

The Brennan kid at LSU has some room for improvement and Costello will keep eating in the Leach offense.

#12 with a bullet.

Reactions: 08Vol
If he gets a good defensive recruiter/coordinator MSU will be a problem for all the SEC in the years to come. All the best WRs and qbs will want to play in that system so beating MSU will come down to out scoring them and that may not be an easy task.
Seems like that's always the story for the Air Raid guys though. They pull it off for a good year here and there but for whatever reason it never seems to sustain. Closest thing would be Steve Spurrier, but he was recruiting Florida and was way more conventional.

Reactions: 1vol8
To all the JG apologist...this is damning. He has significantly more experience than any other sec qb. Not to mention the best offensive line in the conference, great skill wrs, and a really proven oc. So disappointing that Pruitt won’t even consider opening up a competition for the spot. It’s his greatest shortcoming as a head coach thus far
Gimme a freaking break. This is like digging up the dead horse y’all been kicking for the last few seasons. You want it done better? Get into coaching yourself and shut the hell up. You sound like whiney 10 yr olds that wear Versace to school.

Seems like that's always the story for the Air Raid guys though. They pull it off for a good year here and there but for whatever reason it never seems to sustain. Closest thing would be Steve Spurrier, but he was recruiting Florida and was way more conventional.
You got a point there. He’s not in the best area of the country. If he would’ve landed at like FSU he’d be dangerous to Clemson.

To all the JG apologist...this is damning. He has significantly more experience than any other sec qb. Not to mention the best offensive line in the conference, great skill wrs, and a really proven oc. So disappointing that Pruitt won’t even consider opening up a competition for the spot. It’s his greatest shortcoming as a head coach thus far
Pruitt didn't recruit JG so I would guess it's not loyalty it's more necessity

Reactions: MiramarVol
Pruitt didn't recruit JG so I would guess it's not loyalty it's more necessity

It’s strategic. Some head coaches will accept average qb play so as to not mess with the psyche of a qb. Others will keep rotating qbs until one takes the job by the horns. Pruitt is the former. He knows damn well what he’s going to get in JG. A very average qb that hold the ball too long, is an inaccurate passer, and a guy that doesn’t have the athleticism to keep plays alive with his legs when the pocket breaks down.
You’ll almost never see a championship level team that doesn’t have a great qb. And in today’s game they’re almost all athletic guys. I can’t think of a single playoff team over the last 5 years that didn’t have a mobile qb. And please don’t try to tell me JG is a duel threat qb

It’s strategic. Some head coaches will accept average qb play so as to not mess with the psyche of a qb. Others will keep rotating qbs until one takes the job by the horns. Pruitt is the former. He knows damn well what he’s going to get in JG. A very average qb that hold the ball too long, is an inaccurate passer, and a guy that doesn’t have the athleticism to keep plays alive with his legs when the pocket breaks down.
You’ll almost never see a championship level team that doesn’t have a great qb. And in today’s game they’re almost all athletic guys. I can’t think of a single playoff team over the last 5 years that didn’t have a mobile qb. And please don’t try to tell me JG is a duel threat qb
JG doesn't turn the ball over. I'm willing to bet the other guys turn it over often in practice. If you turn the ball over it kills defensive minded coaches hell any coach. But regardless I believe the coaches see him as the best option at this time.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
It’s almost like some people don’t want the kid to succeed. Look, I wasn’t happy like many of the folks on here with him last year but so far this year he’s been more than serviceable. If we are winning, that’s all that matters.

Ya reckon that dog will still hunt after 6 games or so?
Don't have to wait that long. I'd say 100 throws or 3-4 games is about where the efficiency numbers start becoming valid. Also, in theory, numbers should be down a little since nobody is playing cupcake games.

VN Store

Back