These Chances Don't Come Every Week (here is what is at stake Saturday)

In the 11 seasons since Philip Fulmer was head coach, Tennessee has performed thus:

Versus ranked teams: 9-42 (18%)
Versus top 10 teams: 0-28 (0%)

Saturday is a chance to put a left hand tick in BOTH columns. Sure would be nice to punch a top-tener in the face.

Going 4-29 vs. UGA, UF, & Bama since 2008 has a lot to do with that...

To attempt to put a little turd polish on these stats does that mean that UT is 9-14 against ranked teams that weren't in the top 10?

Reactions: Rickyvol77
I think you mean drought. 1 Kings: when the rain came - it was a good thing.

I checked the forecast, rain is coming Saturday! WGWTFA
I was referring to that day in 2002 vs the Gators when it rained all game and Casey Clausen could not figure out how to take a snap. You could definitely say that we’ve been in a drought for a long time.

Reactions: norrislakevol
Going to have possibly 3 chances at top 10 teams this season.
In the 11 seasons since Philip Fulmer was head coach, Tennessee has performed thus:

Saturday is a chance to put a left hand tick in BOTH columns. Sure would be nice to punch a top-tener in the face.
Wouldn't Ky. Top 10 when we beat them last year

SEC this morning was on ESPNU on my morning commute. They said of the 4 remaining undefeated SEC teams 3 could win it all. It was our Vols they did not give a chance to stating UGA is deeper, Florida has a more effective offense, and Bama, well, they are just Bama. Actually, they picked UF to win the East as they are the only one of the 3 undefeated SEC East teams that does not play Bama.

One positive is they said we should easily finish 7-3, which for this SEC only schedule is pretty dang good. It definitely would show we are continuing on our upward momentum.

Reactions: MemphisVol77
Wouldn't Ky. Top 10 when we beat them last year
I think you're remembering two years ago, McCage. Last year, Kentucky was unranked when we met. They'd already lost to Florida, Miss State, USCe, and UGa by then.

But two years ago, Kentucky was ranked #9 a week before our game against them. Unfortunately, they lost to UGa that weekend. So they were #11 by the time they got around to losing to the Vols.

I think you're remembering two years ago. Last year, Kentucky was unranked when we met. They'd already lost to Florida, Miss State, USCe, and UGa by then.

But two years ago, Kentucky was ranked #9 a week before our game against them. Unfortunately, they lost to UGa that weekend. So they were #11 by the time they got around to losing to the Vols.
Thanks...old age is clouding me

What are the equivalent stats of when Fulmer was coach?

I would’ve bet the house against those stats If you would have told me back in 90s and early 2000’s.
Guess that’s why I’m not a betting man. Lol.

If we lose to Ga it shouldn't affect our ranking...cuz its just doing what's expected. A 12-15 ranked team is supposed to lose to a 4th ranked team. Unless we got blown out bad. Let's cross our fingers...do some voodoo...pray...whatever for the win.

If we lose to Ga it shouldn't affect our ranking...cuz its just doing what's expected. A 12-15 ranked team is supposed to lose to a 4th ranked team. Unless we got blown out bad. Let's cross our fingers...do some voodoo...pray...whatever for the win.
I think it works just a little bit differently than that.

The poll voters are, in a way, ranking all the teams based on their potential. Potential to win their conference, to make the playoffs, to become title contenders.

If we were to lose to UGa, even though that is the expected outcome in Vegas and most other places, our potential to contend for the SEC would drop significantly. And so would our ranking in the AP and Coaches' polls.

I believe that's more the way most poll voters actually think during the season.

I'm with you on your last point, though, brother. Let's just whup they butts, then we don't have to worry about dropping, only rising.

Go Vols!

SEC this morning was on ESPNU on my morning commute. They said of the 4 remaining undefeated SEC teams 3 could win it all. It was our Vols they did not give a chance to stating UGA is deeper, Florida has a more effective offense, and Bama, well, they are just Bama. Actually, they picked UF to win the East as they are the only one of the 3 undefeated SEC East teams that does not play Bama.

One positive is they said we should easily finish 7-3, which for this SEC only schedule is pretty dang good. It definitely would show we are continuing on our upward momentum.
BIll Connley has them at 3% going 9-1:

Why Georgia, Notre Dame, USC could drive serious CFP contender talk

FWIW (stats are always meant to be shattered)

VN Store

Back