These Chances Don't Come Every Week (here is what is at stake Saturday)

SEC this morning was on ESPNU on my morning commute. They said of the 4 remaining undefeated SEC teams 3 could win it all. It was our Vols they did not give a chance to stating UGA is deeper, Florida has a more effective offense, and Bama, well, they are just Bama. Actually, they picked UF to win the East as they are the only one of the 3 undefeated SEC East teams that does not play Bama.

One positive is they said we should easily finish 7-3, which for this SEC only schedule is pretty dang good. It definitely would show we are continuing on our upward momentum.

Y'all remember when everyone was all butthurt when the SEC announced our extra games were gonna be aTm and the barn?
Feeling pretty good about those games at the moment, and really hoping we can roll into week 10 against UF at 7-2 with at least a shot at the East division.

In the 11 seasons since Philip Fulmer was head coach, Tennessee has performed thus:

Versus ranked teams: 9-42 (18%)
Versus top 10 teams: 0-28 (0%)

Saturday is a chance to put a left hand tick in BOTH columns. Sure would be nice to punch a top-tener in the face.
SEC East Championship is what's at stake! Bragging rights are what's at stake and possibly adding to an already strong '21 recruiting class is at stake. I don't think folks care that much about the vs ranked teams argument. We'll be on the other side of that soon enough and being 100% vs ranked teams this week is the only thing our players are thinking about I suspect.

I'm sorry but who other than winner of Miami/Clemson, UF and Bama would be ranked ahead of us?

If UNC beats VTech they would be 7 and we would probably be 8 with UGA at 9. Like someone said before ND and OSU won’t be moved (because ESPN). If VT beats UNC we may be one spot lower. So 7 at best

In the 11 seasons since Philip Fulmer was head coach, Tennessee has performed thus:

Saturday is a chance to put a left hand tick in BOTH columns. Sure would be nice to punch a top-tener in the face.

I can't imagine what the vs top 10 teams since Fulmer's been gone looks like.

Is this not Nite worthy?

I’ll be greatly happy if the Volunteers keep the game competitive and close because I know the Georgia Bulldogs a great team are most likely to win, and I know the Volunteers haven’t played any great teams during the long winning streak before the Georgia Bulldogs this Saturday in Georgia.

If the 2020 Volunteers are a great team and Guarantano is the greatly improved QB that can be 1 main reason why the Volunteers defeat a top 5 great undefeated team they’ll need to show that Saturday in Georgia by defeating Georgia.

I’m not a rose colored Volunteers fan because I know the Tennessee Volunteers need to play a complete great game to defeat the great Georgia Bulldogs in Georgia.
I’m optimistic that can happen except the Volunteers need to perform on the field instead of show another incomplete frustrating performance like they had at Heavyweight Alabama in 2019 which had a meltdown at the absolute worst time.

I’m greatly excited for this game mainly because the Georgia Bulldogs did embarrass the Tennessee Volunteers in Rocky Top last year which gave the Volunteers including the returning starters a lot of damn motivation to play great in this At Georgia heavy lifting challenging game, also this is the going to be Gray’s first game running vs a great team, can Guarantano play a complete effective game including succeed running for a likely needed touchdown vs a great team on the road, and can the underdog Volunteers show with a great statement win that’s why they play the games.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
I’ll be greatly happy if the Volunteers keep the game competitive and close because I know the Georgia Bulldogs a great team are most likely to win, and I know the Volunteers haven’t played any great teams during the long winning streak before the Georgia Bulldogs this Saturday in Georgia.

If the 2020 Volunteers are a great team and Guarantano is the greatly improved QB that can be 1 main reason why the Volunteers defeat a top 5 great undefeated team they’ll need to show that Saturday in Georgia by defeating Georgia.

I’m not a rose colored Volunteers fan because I know the Tennessee Volunteers need to play a complete great game to defeat the great Georgia Bulldogs in Georgia.
I’m optimistic that can happen except the Volunteers need to perform on the field instead of show another incomplete frustrating performance like they had at Heavyweight Alabama in 2019 which had a meltdown at the absolute worst time.

I’m greatly excited for this game mainly because the Georgia Bulldogs did embarrass the Tennessee Volunteers in Rocky Top last year which gave the Volunteers including the returning starters a lot of damn motivation to play great in this At Georgia heavy lifting challenging game, also this is the going to be Gray’s first game running vs a great team, can Guarantano play a complete effective game including succeed running for a likely needed touchdown vs a great team on the road, and can the underdog Volunteers show with a great statement win that’s why they play the games.

“Great” post..

Last edited:
Where to find encouragement

Georgia penalties. UGA has a history of stupid penalties. May they commit numerous ones during their game with the Vols. In their first two games, UGA has committed 20 penalties for 167 yards (In contrast, UT has 9 for 70).

Sliver of light in Georgia turnovers. 1 Int, 3 fumbles - 1 lost (UT is 0 Int, 1-0).

Perspective

Cummulative scoring: UGA 64 pts, UT 66
Cumulative first downs: UGA 44, UT 47
Cumulative rushing yards: UGA 388, UT 404
Red zone (attempts-scores-TDs): UGA 8-7-5, UT 9-8-7

Sagacity

If you do not look forward to each and every Vols game with hope for a Tennessee victory, then you are missing out on a key reward of being a fan. GBO, not just for Tennessee's teams, but for life (your own quality thereof).

OSU will still be put ahead of us even though they haven't played. Just how it is. So if we do beat Ga. Unless we slaughter them, we'll be 8th or 9th. Hopefully top ten, but that love for teams that haven't played yet will play in as some of the voters are fans of those schools. Just sayin....

Get ready for the excuses if we win. Both by our fan base, and by theirs. It'll take some more top 10 wins for it not to be an anomaly that the other team had a bad day or we fluked it up. But I'll take it anyway!!! Go Vols!!!

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
If UNC beats VTech they would be 7 and we would probably be 8 with UGA at 9. Like someone said before ND and OSU won’t be moved (because ESPN). If VT beats UNC we may be one spot lower. So 7 at best
I would sincerely hope a 3-0 SEC record with a road win in Athens would get us at least top five immediately. If UNC is still ahead of us after that, then the Tennessee hate is gospel.

I think if we win we will get the hype we deserve. ESPN...and the network they run....Sec network seem to always rank either our team or our recruiting classes lower than anyone else. Somebody in that ESPN building doesn't like us...or have some deepseated resentment....but they aren't ALL haters. There's no doubt though that beating Georgia would be a big friggin deal everywhere you look.

I hate to argue semantics but the 0-28 is wrong. In 2013 South Carolina was ranked 9th in the Coaches Poll when we beat them. AP Poll had them at 11th so our rivals use that ranking for that 0-28 stat. But in 2013 the AP Poll wasn’t even part of the BCS anymore so their ranking didn’t carry any weight in the national championship hunt.

Tennessee has the chance to score 30+ points 3 games in a row for the first time since 2016.

Reactions: MemphisVol77

We can thank Hamilton for the past records!!!

My view of Vol football history is based on almost 55 years of fandom. I now understand why anyone less than 35 years old doesn’t regard the team history as I do. Pretty enlightening and disappointing stats. Certainly, I can understand the feeling of irrelevance younger fans have. But it’s time to return to what has sustained me through this decade of misery and that is the confidence that UT is NEVER out of the fight. JMO but Pruitt and this team start that.

VN Store

Back