New ESPN rankings for 2021

That is a well thought out post......Thank you.

I would also add, especially in a team sport, superior coaching...Coaching that brings out the very best in each individual, that has each member working/playing together, symbiotically of each other, to maximize their abilities into a cohesive team/unit....
TEAM_Logo.jpg

Here I corrected it for you;):
But the outcome of the game is determined by drive, aggression, and discipline OF THE TEAM which are available to all players regardless of physical strengths and limitations.

Here I corrected it for you;):
But the outcome of the game is determined by drive, aggression, and discipline OF THE TEAM which are available to all players regardless of physical strengths and limitations.

Can't agree with you on that one.....

Unless a winning game plan is put in place, by a competent coach, two teams with equal talent, drive, and discipline, one team will fail more times than it succeeds, in a championship environment without superior coaching......

Team ball is the needed ingredient.....
3419bafa33461ab058869dd14ae9907a.jpg

Last edited:
That is a well thought out post......Thank you.

I would also add, especially in a team sport, superior coaching...Coaching that brings out the very best in each individual, that has each member working/playing together, symbiotically of each other, to maximize their abilities into a cohesive team/unit....
TEAM_Logo.jpg

Wow, who knew it wasn’t about the Jimmys and the Joes like a couple of people on this board seem to think? If coaching is most important, how do you explain SC? And why did TN under PS fall out of national contention after Baylor and UConn were getting the top players?
Lastly, what top coach (other than Coach Jumper :) at any point has said coaching is more important than talent.

NCAA Championships are almost always won when led by the very best players like Holdclaw, Parker, Moore, Taurasi, Greiner, Stewart, Diggins, etc. Virtually all were top three coming out of high school and really good as freshmen. It isn’t high school.

Reactions: vettefool
Wow, who knew it wasn’t about the Jimmys and the Joes like a couple of people on this board seem to think? If coaching is most important, how do you explain SC? And why did TN under PS fall out of national contention after Baylor and UConn were getting the top players?
Lastly, what top coach (other than Coach Jumper :) at any point has said coaching is more important than talent.

NCAA Championships are almost always won when led by the very best players like Holdclaw, Parker, Moore, Taurasi, Greiner, Stewart, Diggins, etc. Virtually all were top three coming out of high school and really good as freshmen. It isn’t high school.

Those are just players, very good players at that, but when facing equal talent with championship coaching guiding them, coaching will usually prevail against 5 players playing as individuals....

That's why there is always "Coach of the Year Awards...They assist the player of the year become the best they can be....

The key word is symbiotic...
Learn it...Know it....Live it.

Those are just players, very good players at that, but when facing equal talent with championship coaching guiding them, coaching will usually prevail against 5 players playing as individuals....

That's why there is always "Coach of the Year Awards...They assist the player of the year become the best they can be....

Yes but My point is those players started off as the best. The on court in college results were also the the best. I’d argue, the coaches just didn’t screw it up:)

Every player has varying combinations of Speed, Skill, Size, Experience, Confidence, Drive, Aggression, and Discipline.
Speed does not always beat size. Size does not always beat skill. Skill does not always beat speed.
Speed should win in the full court, while size should dominate in the half court.
But the outcome of the game is determined by drive, aggression, and discipline which are available to all players regardless of physical strengths and limitations.
Imagine that,,,someone disagrees with me

Unless a winning game plan is put in place, by a competent coach, two teams with equal talent, drive, and discipline, one team will fail more times than it succeeds, in a championship environment without superior coaching......

3419bafa33461ab058869dd14ae9907a.jpg
I thought the coach was part of the team.

100% GT

Reactions: GameTime

The key to your argument is equal talent. The winning teams led by the players I named had a superior talent. When Greiner was at Baylor, did they win because of the coach:)?

The point of this whole discussion is the necessity to land some top talent or our hopes are pinned on a very, very long shot. Thinking otherwise is just happy talk.

The key is all things coming together
talent-fluidity-defense/offensive symmetry-on the floor leadership
this cannot happen without the right leader off the floor

It's just like a business....All the best employees in the world can be screwed up by one piss-poor manager

Reactions: Raebo and GameTime
The key is all things coming together
talent-fluidity-defense/offensive symmetry-on the floor leadership
this cannot happen without the right leader off the floor

It's just like a business....All the best employees in the world can be screwed up by one piss-poor manager

5c96a74e240000350006540a.jpeg

Holly was, and is, an extremely nice woman.....However, she was never head coach material. She, by all accounts, was a great friend to the girls, but, based on years of failed team results, she had no idea how to deign an offense to defeat a zone defense.
5c4254d577245.image.jpg

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
I feel really good that Striplin, Wynn, and Puckett are all top fifty players. I don't put Miles there right now because she is not a very good shooter at this point. Miles has everything else she needs to be a fabulous player if she can upgrade her shooting. Miles with a consistent stroke becomes a top 25 player easily.

I feel really good that Striplin, Wynn, and Puckett are all top fifty players. I don't put Miles there right now because she is not a very good shooter at this point. Miles has everything else she needs to be a fabulous player if she can upgrade her shooting. Miles with a consistent stroke becomes a top 25 player easily.

agree on all points

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
Isn’t UConn still waiting and thought to be the leader on the top 2021 kid?

I was under the impression Fudd's a weird situation because of her relationship with Under Armor. Not sure if that's a legitimate angle or not, but if it's not, and UConn did convince Fudd to sign, they would have signed the #1 recruit four out of the last five years. Walker from 2017, who's giving them 20 a game now, Williams from 2018 who chips in 15, and then the kid from 2020, Bueckers, who looks pretty dangerous herself. Fudd too? Ugh. Terrible. I want to say one of the best ones in 2022 already verbaled too. Just terrible. This lousy carnival ride will never end as long as he's up there.

Reactions: lfvol
Any particular reason why Baylor is not in this list? A lot of returnees or just missing out?

I was under the impression Fudd's a weird situation because of her relationship with Under Armor. Not sure if that's a legitimate angle or not, but if it's not, and UConn did convince Fudd to sign, they would have signed the #1 recruit four out of the last five years. Walker from 2017, who's giving them 20 a game now, Williams from 2018 who chips in 15, and then the kid from 2020, Bueckers, who looks pretty dangerous herself. Fudd too? Ugh. Terrible. I want to say one of the best ones in 2022 already verbaled too. Just terrible. This lousy carnival ride will never end as long as he's up there.

I saw that for 2022. I think the number two player on t least one rating service. We’ve got to break thru with an elite kid or two.

Two things: yes they will average those numbers playing nearly the entire games
Walker 33.9 min pg
Williams 35.7 min pg

When you play that much of 40 minutes you had better chip in double figures plus....No one off the bench has a chance to chip in twenty
The carnival ride is already slowing down
no Natty's since 2016

VN Store

Back