New ESPN rankings for 2021

All we have to do is upright the ship that CHW turned over and they will come to TN.
Coach K may be the one
maybe not,
but it WILL happen!
Until it does, I won't back off

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
Two things: yes they will average those numbers playing nearly the entire games
Walker 33.9 min pg
Williams 35.7 min pg

When you play that much of 40 minutes you had better chip in double figures plus....No one off the bench has a chance to chip in twenty
The carnival ride is already slowing down
no Natty's since 2016

It brings me reassurance that UConn has come up short for 4 years despite having a bunch of #1 recruits and other top players. Realistically speaking, they are starting to load up with elite players at all 5 positions, and not like 2017 where they had 3 great players who all were best suited at the same position. They will have an elite starting PG, SG, SF, PF and C...plus quality depth at all positions...regardless if they get Fudd. The good news is that other teams will too, so hopefully their drought will continue.

I feel really good that Striplin, Wynn, and Puckett are all top fifty players. I don't put Miles there right now because she is not a very good shooter at this point. Miles has everything else she needs to be a fabulous player if she can upgrade her shooting. Miles with a consistent stroke becomes a top 25 player easily.

With the great shooting around her, Miles only needs to get to the point where she can shoot 33% when left open to be effective.

Walker 33.9 min pg
Williams 35.7 min pg

When you play that much of 40 minutes you had better chip in double figures plus....No one off the bench has a chance to chip in twenty

That's true. My point was mainly that they have talented players who were ranked highly and are consistently scoring the points they need, and they're adding more elite players to that mix. And that gets an ugh from me. Ugh.

no Natty's since 2016

Ehh, I just don't think I buy it. No titles since 2016 but that's after four straight years of winning it all, and they've made the Final Four in every year since. And that they've missed on titles the past four years I think is partially reflected in their recruiting results in the years leading up to the post-Stewart era. 2013-2015 was a bit of a crapshoot for them in terms of classes, even with KLS; some other programs made hay those recruiting years and in the ensuing seasons. But now Connecticut's gotten their act together and signed Walker, Nelson-Ododa, Beuckers, and some other talented names in the last three years since 2016. 29-3 this year until the pandemic hit, and I think they were a legit likely winner of the tournament this past season (I mean, I was all but certain it would be UConn and Oregon in the finals if they were seeded opposite). Ugh. Just ugh. And even more UGH if they add Fudd.

And, I just don't think they've slowed down at all. Sort of reminds me of when Summitt had that stretch from 2000-2005 and lots of people said she was losing her edge - even though she made four Final Fours and was runner up twice during that stretch. They haven't gone anywhere. I really wish they would, but they haven't. Ugh. Just ugh.

That's true. My point was mainly that they have talented players who were ranked highly and are consistently scoring the points they need, and they're adding more elite players to that mix. And that gets an ugh from me. Ugh.

Ehh, I just don't think I buy it. No titles since 2016 but that's after four straight years of winning it all, and they've made the Final Four in every year since. And that they've missed on titles the past four years I think is partially reflected in their recruiting results in the years leading up to the post-Stewart era. 2013-2015 was a bit of a crapshoot for them in terms of classes, even with KLS; some other programs made hay those recruiting years and in the ensuing seasons. But now Connecticut's gotten their act together and signed Walker, Nelson-Ododa, Beuckers, and some other talented names in the last three years since 2016. 29-3 this year until the pandemic hit, and I think they were a legit likely winner of the tournament this past season (I mean, I was all but certain it would be UConn and Oregon in the finals if they were seeded opposite). Ugh. Just ugh. And even more UGH if they add Fudd.

And, I just don't think they've slowed down at all. Sort of reminds me of when Summitt had that stretch from 2000-2005 and lots of people said she was losing her edge - even though she made four Final Fours and was runner up twice during that stretch. They haven't gone anywhere. I really wish they would, but they haven't. Ugh. Just ugh.

Totally agree and when you are in the final four, it’s hard to claim they have fallen off. It just means they were not head and shoulders above the rest. Clearly SC is now getting talent to compete with them. They have become the rival TN used to be until we can add one top five player a year.

Good post you guys.....

We are all tired of watching UConn get so much damn talent....And yes, it will not end until Geno is gone, and even then, it may still be damn good.

The LV's are no longer a hot item in the world of women's college basketball....Not sure it will ever be again....

It would be great if we had a top ten or two player coming here, but until this team wins some big time games again, that is not likely to happen...

When Striplin and Puckett get here, the squad should be able to compete with the big ones again...

I hope by then Miles can be a decent shooter, if not, it will always be four against five. Now if she can find it, then this squad could compete against most everyone.

I also hope that Kellie brings more offensive game planning than she brought this past season...Toward the end we did not look so good...

Sun down....Yellow moon....Too bad what we had did not last.
moon-evening-moonlight-woman-night-wallpaper-preview.jpg

Walker 33.9 min pg
Williams 35.7 min pg

no Natty's since 2016
Walker left early, so I’m not sure why she is in the conversation.

Yes, when the best players play 30+ minutes per game they should have great stats. Like Davis.

One reason why I hate UConn. Not winning an NC in three years means the program is slipping.

Reactions: xtpsrh08123
Walker left early, so I’m not sure why she is in the conversation.

Oh, that's my bad. I don't keep up with them to any significant degree, I just knew Walker was a junior and scored a lot of points last year so I checked her stat sheet to see just how many. Did she go early? Great. I hope there's others who left early who I don't know about. That'd be just swell. Particularly their coach. "Man walks off pier, lost at sea." How sad. I would be ever so despondent.

As for the rest, I was mainly responding to the idea that Fudd might play for them. I would much rather she play for Brenda or whoever, and not make the next two to three years look more daunting than they already do. They have already reloaded as it is. I will hope they don't get to add Fudd to that lineup.

Meanwhile I hope Tennessee can build off what they've done and continue to improve their recruiting pitch. It takes time to build relationships, or time to establish reputations - all that. But they have to keep building bridges, because the top of the heap is not getting any less ... uh ... toppy.

UCONN vs Oregon in the finals ? The Hell you mean Oregon vs South Carolina !!! UCONN was not one of the big dogs this past season . Heck Stanford had a better shot with Jones then Baylor mopped them on their home floor. UCONN legit likely winner of the tournament is a joke.

Reactions: Bret178
Oh, that's my bad. I don't keep up with them to any significant degree, I just knew Walker was a junior and scored a lot of points last year so I checked her stat sheet to see just how many. Did she go early? Great. I hope there's others who left early who I don't know about. That'd be just swell. Particularly their coach. "Man walks off pier, lost at sea." How sad. I would be ever so despondent.

As for the rest, I was mainly responding to the idea that Fudd might play for them. I would much rather she play for Brenda or whoever, and not make the next two to three years look more daunting than they already do. They have already reloaded as it is. I will hope they don't get to add Fudd to that lineup.

Meanwhile I hope Tennessee can build off what they've done and continue to improve their recruiting pitch. It takes time to build relationships, or time to establish reputations - all that. But they have to keep building bridges, because the top of the heap is not getting any less ... uh ... toppy.
How can you not keep up with them but claim they were a legit favorite to win the tournament last season lol ? Talk about knowing who you defend.

How can you not keep up with them but claim they were a legit favorite to win the tournament last season lol ? Talk about knowing who you defend.

I didn't defend anything or anyone. Let's make this simple. The last time Connecticut HASN'T advanced to the Final Four was one of the Candace Parker years. 2006? 2007? I forget which. Or put differently, it's been over a DECADE since they haven't gone to the Final Four. Aside from being one of the most insufferable runs in sports, it also makes them a legitimate contender in my eyes until such time as they do not continue that pattern. And I don't need to keep up with them to know that. So yes, you can like or hate them or whatever but I viewed them as legitimate a threat as anyone else. That's not defending them. I will never defend them. But I also won't pretend like they don't have more tournament experience than anyone else in the sport.

Defend them. Preposterous. I accidentally bought street tickets in the wrong section of a Final Four one year - the UConn section. Misread the sheet. And had one of the most most miserable weekends of my sports life. They would not shut up. "U!" "C!" "O!" GAH. The worst. I'd sooner watch an all-day marathon of that new Cats movie than defend them.

But the POINT of all of this was that I do not want to see Fudd sign with Connecticut.

I didn't defend anything or anyone. Let's make this simple. The last time Connecticut HASN'T advanced to the Final Four was one of the Candace Parker years. 2006? 2007? I forget which. Or put differently, it's been over a DECADE since they haven't gone to the Final Four. Aside from being one of the most insufferable runs in sports, it also makes them a legitimate contender in my eyes until such time as they do not continue that pattern. And I don't need to keep up with them to know that. So yes, you can like or hate them or whatever but I viewed them as legitimate a threat as anyone else. That's not defending them. I will never defend them. But I also won't pretend like they don't have more tournament experience than anyone else in the sport.

Defend them. Preposterous. I accidentally bought street tickets in the wrong section of a Final Four one year - the UConn section. Misread the sheet. And had one of the most most miserable weekends of my sports life. They would not shut up. "U!" "C!" "O!" GAH. The worst. I'd sooner watch an all-day marathon of that new Cats movie than defend them.

But the POINT of all of this was that I do not want to see Fudd sign with Connecticut.

It’s an unbelievable run.

Excluding the unfinished 2019-20 season, It's been 12 excruciating seasons that they have made the final four and sadly no end in sight. They have won the NC in half of those. Ugh.

I knew they were the dominant team but did not consider that remarkable string. Amazing.

Excluding the unfinished 2019-20 season, It's been 12 excruciating seasons that they have made the final four and sadly no end in sight. They have won the NC in half of those. Ugh.
I knew they were the dominant team but did not consider that remarkable string. Amazing.

That's what happens when the best coach gets the best players. There were a couple of teams, like the first year after Stewart graduated, that had no business being as good as they were, but still kept the streak alive.

I agree with the person who said that they'll always be a contender until they're not, but it's good see that teams like SC, Stanford and Baylor continue to recruit strongly. Hopefully, Tennessee will follow.

Reactions: lfvol
Depends on the situation. The big difference for Tennessee going into next season is that they will be in rebuilding mode after losing Rennia this season. Sara would have a good shot at challenging for a starting position with the void left by Rennia's graduation, so the minutes (and shots) will be there for the taking. If she was able to earn a starting spot, I could see her scoring double digits. Maybe not 14 points, but 10 is doable if a 3rd scoring option behind Horston and Burrell doesn't develop. She will definitely need help from her teammates to take the defensive attention off of her. She could very well find herself in a Nina Davis-type situation if things align properly.
What happened to Davis?

Ok cool

Who would UCONN have beaten to take their final 4 spot last season ?

Oregon - No
SC - No
Baylor - No
Stanford - No , Without Haley Jones Maybe
Maryland - Possibly

Oregon - No
SC - No
Baylor - No
Maryland - Possibly
Unless you called Oregon beating Miss State and UConn beating Louisville in 2019 these are just assumptions.

Oregon - No
SC - No
Baylor - No
Maryland - Possibly
Last year didn’t happen so we really don’t know. Hate him, but never count out Geno. As Amb said, he got them there with teams we all think wouldn’t make it.

VN Store

Back