Qb2

DustyRockSolid

Not thread worthy but I'm bored at work. I'm curious at to who people think will get the first shot at QB if JG gets injured or benched. Maybe someone like DeerPark can give an informed opinion.
Also....what will the offense look like with the qb2 you think they play?

Last edited:
Not an informed opinion, but my gut says HB. I think JG will get by Missouri okay, and by the Georgia game HB will have gotten enough reps to be able to run the offense... hopefully.

Reactions: TrumpedUpVol
Not thread worthy but I'm bored at work. I'm curious at to who people think will get the first shot at QB if JG gets injured or benched. Maybe someone like DeerPark can give an informed opinion.

Boy that depends. My guess is they would want to protect HB's eligibility for as long as possible and not burn his redshirt. With Covid causing an extra year of eligibility he could be around a long time.

I'd say BM gets first crack assuming JG is benched. If JG has a serious (multi week) injury maybe a different story.

Boy that depends. My guess is they would want to protect HB's eligibility for as long as possible and not burn his redshirt. With Covid causing an extra year of eligibility he could be around a long time.

I'd say BM gets first crack assuming JG is benched. If JG has a serious (multi week) injury maybe a different story.

This year doesn't matter, he wouldn't get a redshirt. So even if he played this year, he could still redshirt next year and have 4 years left after that. I doubt it would happen, but it could.

Protect HB's eligibility ??? I say play him while you got him. Doubtful he will be here four years anyway.

Reactions: Easyriders
Also....what will the offense look like with the qb2 you think they play?
I don't know the order it would happen but should QB1 become open I'd bet that HB will indeed get his shot as will Shrout and BM. I've no knowledge whatsoever and this is pure speculation on my part but I think Pruitt and BM may have a plan to sit him all season this year unless it's an emergency type situation later in the year. I only say that because it let's him get healthy both physically and mentally and would allow him to be ready to battle for QB1 in '21 or would set him up in a good situation for transfer. It's probably simply that his leg injury has held him back, regardless, I think it's odd we're not hearing much at all about a kid that got 3 or 4 starts his Freshman year in Knoxville, not that common of a thing for past Vol QBs.

Reactions: V0LUNT33R and finn
My guess just based on what's been reported and said is Shrout. Based on nothing but who was hanging out around the sideline huddle as the O came onto the field... I only saw Maurer.

Even if those two guys were complete bums, HB missing spring plus the screwed up pre-season would put him at an extreme disadvantage... and neither of the other guys are bums.

I don't know the order it would happen but should QB1 become open I'd bet that HB will indeed get his shot as will Shrout and BM. I've no knowledge whatsoever and this is pure speculation on my part but I think Pruitt and BM may have a plan to sit him all season this year unless it's an emergency type situation later in the year. I only say that because it let's him get healthy both physically and mentally and would allow him to be ready to battle for QB1 in '21 or would set him up in a good situation for transfer. It's probably simply that his leg injury has held him back, regardless, I think it's odd we're not hearing much at all about a kid that got 3 or 4 starts his Freshman year in Knoxville, not that common of a thing for past Vol QBs.
I think by end of last year Guarantano pretty much reclaimed starting job. So that carried over into this year, and BM has that injury so I think it’s pretty expected to not be hearing all that much. Shrout was getting the most reps other than Guarantano so I’d assume he’d be up next if something were to happen.

Am I wrong, isn't Maurer listed as number 2? That's my guess as to how it would go....

Good question. The last inference I remember had JT Shrout being the # 2 QB based on his play during scrimmages and his understanding of the plays & schemes. The most recent QB depth charts have Maurer, Shrout and Bailey bracketed as # 2. I have the utmost confidence that I have no idea who it will be...🤓

What am I hearing about this year doesn't matter as far as red shirts? Can someone with knowledge expand on that. Is the play four game rule out the window?

I'm so confused!

What am I hearing about this year doesn't matter as far as red shirts? Can someone with knowledge expand on that. Is the play four game rule out the window?

I'm so confused!
NCAA ruled that this season does not count as far as player eligibility......Example...A senior this year that normally would have no eligibility left can now comeback next season...

Reactions: ru4real-really?
NCAA ruled that this season does not count as far as player eligibility......Example...A senior this year that normally would have no eligibility left can now comeback next season...

that should really be a boon for depth and recruiting if we can survive the year! We should send a spy to see how Lord Nick is handling it.

With BM's arm talent and his ability to make plays with his legs, I would be interested to see if he has improved his decision making. I would also hope the playbook/calling would slightly change with him behind center.

HB has missed too much practice for me to comfortably believe he's ready to take over at this moment if the starter was injured.

I said before in another thread that everyone from Hubbs, Price and Swain have all said HB isn’t ready because of no spring ball and the amount of time he missed in fall camp. He may get some snaps at some point, but I doubt they will be meaningful, and I hope it’s because we are blowing someone out.

VN Store

Back