Pruitt Vs. Leach - Approval Poll

Who do you prefer as head coach of the 2018 Volunteers?

• Total voters
What has Mike Leach ever won? How many trophies does he have? I love the Pirate, but he has a ceiling. Pruitt is building this thing the right way. I wouldn’t change it.
As a head coach?

Championships
Awards
That's more than Pruitt has as a head coach....

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
Reactions: pimo1 and FBtime
What has Mike Leach ever won? How many trophies does he have? I love the Pirate, but he has a ceiling. Pruitt is building this thing the right way. I wouldn’t change it.
Yep.

Mike Leach is hot-and-cold and a lot of luke-warm. He'll win big, like he did yesterday, then two weeks later look like a hot mess. His mercurial performances over the years are why he only got into double-digit wins once out of 10 seasons at Texas Tech, and only once out of eight seasons at Oregon State. Why he never won a conference title, and in fact never won an outright division title (he tied for one once in the B12, and tied for one once in the PAC).

Ah, you say, but he's never been at a top tier program, look at all he did at second-run Texas Tech, and second-run Washington State!

And just exactly where do you see him now? At Mississippi State, right? Isn't Mississippi State a second-run program in the SEC, like those teams are to their respective conferences? Should we expect any more of him in the SEC than we saw him deliver in the PAC or B12?

No, we shouldn't.

Look, he's going to be fine. He'll win somewhere between 6 and 9 games most years while at Miss St (most years = when we're back to normal 12-game regular seasons). He might get up to 10 wins once in the coming decade. He will be hugely entertaining at most every press conference. We'll have a lot of fun chuckling around the water cooler about what he said last week. We'll all like him. He's the Pirate Coach.

But he'll never be a championship winner. Which is what we're looking for. Maybe Jeremy Pruitt will be, maybe he won't. Don't know enough about him yet as a head coach to say. But we do have plenty of record material on Mike Leach. And he's not.

I know this argument will not convince the Leachers among us. It's gonna take a few seasons of him being moderately good, just moderately good, over and over moderately good, before eventually a lot of them will accept the reality of CML.

But for the few who can extrapolate from his 19 years of head coaching already, you can save some time and angst.

Go Vols!

As a head coach?

Championships
Awards
That's more than Pruitt has as a head coach....
As a head coach? Yes as a head coach. You just proved my point. He’s got a lot of individual accolades, which is great. I just don’t see a lot of team trophies with him. Time will tell, maybe he’ll do great things at Mississippi State, maybe they’ll keep surprising people, although I highly doubt they’re going to sneak up on anyone now. Or maybe everyone is just having a Week 1 overreaction ?

One thing is for sure, this thread wasn’t getting bumped the last few years when Wazzu was getting the brakes beaten off of them by Washington.

As a head coach? Yes as a head coach. You just proved my point. He’s got a lot of individual accolades, which is great. I just don’t see a lot of team trophies with him. Time will tell, maybe he’ll do great things at Mississippi State, maybe they’ll keep surprising people, although I highly doubt they’re going to sneak up on anyone now. Or maybe everyone is just having a Week 1 overreaction ?

One thing is for sure, this thread wasn’t getting bumped the last few years when Wazzu was getting the brakes beaten off of them by Washington.
It's undeniable that Leach as as a coach has consistently done more with less consistently over his entire career.

Last edited:
True... but he’s also been a head coach for like over a decade as well right? You are comparing a third year head coach to an old head.
He's also done more with less consistently over his long career as a head coach.

Goldvol---it's a long, 10 game, brutal SEC season.

I think I would pump the brakes a little before anointing Leach and MSU as conference champions...
LSU wasn't ready for all of those underneath crossing patterns...and scored 34 while sputtering with a new QB and OC....

Other SEC DCs will be ready to take that underneath game away....
and when their QB has to start holding the ball longer to attempt throwing the ball further down the field--they're thru!!!

5-5 or 6-4 for MSU this year.....IMO

Reactions: igotworms
Goldvol---it's a long, 10 game, brutal SEC season.

I think I would pump the brakes a little before anointing Leach and MSU as conference champions...
I haven't seen anyone say that, and you didn't hear that from me...

I'm not saying he was or wasn't the right coach for UT but to have coached a places that were continual cellar dwellers I think he has a solid resume

Kentucky
Four NCAA, 42 SEC, and 116 school records broken as Kentucky's offensive coordinator

Texas Tech
10 consecutive winning seasons

8 consecutive seasons with at least 8 wins

4 seasons with at least 9 wins

1 season with 11 wins

9 consecutive bowl appearances

5 bowl wins (most by any individual coach in the history of the program)

4 seasons completed with team ranked in the Top 25

19–11 record against in-state conference rivals Baylor, Texas, and Texas A&M

53–11 record at Jones AT&T Stadium, home of the Texas Tech Red Raider football team

2008 AP Big 12 Coach of the Year

2008 Big 12 Coach of the Year

Coached 1 Fred Biletnikoff Award (Best Wide Receiver) winner: Michael Crabtree (two-time winner)

Coached 1 Johnny Unitas Golden Arm Award (Best Senior Quarterback) winner: Graham Harrell

Coached 1 Mosi Tatupu Award (Best Kick Returner) winner: Wes Welker

Coached 3 Sammy Baugh Trophy (Outstanding Quarterback) winners: Kliff Kingsbury, B.J. Symons, and Graham Harrell

More than 150 NCAA, Big 12 and school records broken as Texas Tech's head coach

All-time winningest football coach in Texas Tech history

Washington State

2015 Pac-12 Coach of the Year

2018 Pac-12 Coach of the Year

4 consecutive winning seasons

First coach to win 11 games in a season at WSU

Coached 1 Johnny Unitas Golden Arm Award (Best Senior Quarterback) winner: Gardner Minshew II

1 top 10 finish

2 bowl wins

He has won a lot with a little. And in the SEC, that is the problem for him. You can out prepare opponents here and there and steal lots of wins, but to truly make an SEC run, you need a full cupboard of talented players.

Reactions: FBtime
I'm not convinced Leach's system would work in the SEC. It would be a hell of a lot of fun to watch, but you have to be able to run the ball and play great defense.

Year one with miss st talent.....he won....I dont think our team in year 3 beats lsu yesterday. Facts are facts he put up numbers and points

Leach at this point is better then Pruitt. Hard to argue that fact. Pointless posting other then for the sake of arguing on this board. Leach will never be at Tennessee ever. Beside the fact that they've probably burned that bridge, nobody that has been or ever will be in charge of hiring coaches for this university has a high enough football IQ.

Yep.

Mike Leach is hot-and-cold and a lot of luke-warm. He'll win big, like he did yesterday, then two weeks later look like a hot mess. His mercurial performances over the years are why he only got into double-digit wins once out of 10 seasons at Texas Tech, and only once out of eight seasons at Oregon State. Why he never won a conference title, and in fact never won an outright division title (he tied for one once in the B12, and tied for one once in the PAC).

Ah, you say, but he's never been at a top tier program, look at all he did at second-run Texas Tech, and second-run Washington State!

And just exactly where do you see him now? At Mississippi State, right? Isn't Mississippi State a second-run program in the SEC, like those teams are to their respective conferences? Should we expect any more of him in the SEC than we saw him deliver in the PAC or B12?

No, we shouldn't.

Look, he's going to be fine. He'll win somewhere between 6 and 9 games most years while at Miss St (most years = when we're back to normal 12-game regular seasons). He might get up to 10 wins once in the coming decade. He will be hugely entertaining at most every press conference. We'll have a lot of fun chuckling around the water cooler about what he said last week. We'll all like him. He's the Pirate Coach.

But he'll never be a championship winner. Which is what we're looking for. Maybe Jeremy Pruitt will be, maybe he won't. Don't know enough about him yet as a head coach to say. But we do have plenty of record material on Mike Leach. And he's not.

I know this argument will not convince the Leachers among us. It's gonna take a few seasons of him being moderately good, just moderately good, over and over moderately good, before eventually a lot of them will accept the reality of CML.

But for the few who can extrapolate from his 19 years of head coaching already, you can save some time and angst.

Go Vols!

I'll take the mercurial coach every now and then. Pruitt has proven he can beat the teams Tennessee should always beat, acceptable at best unimpressive at worst. He's even proven he can lose to teams he should never lose to. But he's never beaten a team he has no business beating. Leach in his first game already has that. He went into Baton Rouge and beat the national Champs with a team that Tennessee beat pretty good last year. At the end of the day Tennessee and MSU will most likely end up about the same record wise this year but I guarantee Mike Leach will be talked about in a positive way for that win while Pruitt won't because Pruitt won't do anything impressive.

I hope Pruitt can prove me wrong and Tennessee beats Florida or Bama. I'm tired or slow and steady thst got us nowhere with Butch Jones. We need some mercurial immediately.

Year one with miss st talent.....he won....I dont think our team in year 3 beats lsu yesterday. Facts are facts he put up numbers and points

I wouldn't be so fast to think we could not beat that LSU team from yesterday....
LSU played terribly in that game and benefitted from some turnovers, too.

Reactions: vols4evah
The story of yesterday needs to be how bad LSU truly is, not how miraculously great Miss State is. LSU couldn’t stop the pass, they may win 1-2 this year.

Don’t be stupid.

LOL LSU became the first national champ to drop their home opener in 42 years. Tennessee has had some pretty terrible teams in the last 10 years but none of them gave up that many passing yards. LSU was bad but Mike Leach lit them up in an almost historical way. I'm not ready to say LSU wins 2 games. I think MSU got themselves a coach.

LOL LSU became the first national champ to drop their home opener in 42 years. Tennessee has had some pretty terrible teams in the last 10 years but none of them gave up that many passing yards. LSU was bad but Mike Leach lit them up in an almost historical way. I'm not ready to say LSU wins 2 games. I think MSU got themselves a coach.
Yep. That was a total mismatch in coaching. But all Leach had to best last night was Orgeron and Bo Pellini which ain’t a high bar. Everybody knows Orgeron doesn’t coach and I never thought Pellini was all that. LSU is already missing those coordinators from last year. Pellini’s already on the hot seat after one game.

VN Store

Back