The Grill and BBQ thread

Alrighty, tomorrow is my maiden voyage on the tri tip. 2.7#, looks to have some decent marbling. Steak rub, 225 to 115, then sear and rest?

giphy.gif

Reactions: goldenvol
Got a traeger pellet smoker recently and did my first cook yesterday with some St. Louis style ribs. Consistency of the ribs was great, but they didn't have a very good smoke ring or smoky taste. The smoker has a "super smoke" feature which i used for the 1st hour of the cook (6 hours at 215). Anybody have any experience with these? Will a longer "super smoke" help?

Traegers are basically electric smokers that can also sort of grill. My dad has one, and while it is convenient I've never been super happy about its ability to impart smoke flavor on much outside of fish and poultry. I would try throwing as much smoke on it at low temperatures for as long as you can if you want to improve that area. Just be careful of staying in the danger zone where batería can grow for too long.

In my opinion...

Electric <<<< Gas <<<<<<<<<< charcoal

So, it was really tasty. My parents were over and I didn't get pics, but I think it was cooked perfectly med-rare+. At the end of the day, it's a sirloin, so my wife was not impressed by the tenderness, but she really only likes filet. The flavor was outstanding, and the price was right! (I believe it was $25, and it would have cost me $100 for good tenderloins to feed the crew.)

So, it was really tasty. My parents were over and I didn't get pics, but I think it was cooked perfectly med-rare+. At the end of the day, it's a sirloin, so my wife was not impressed by the tenderness, but she really only likes filet. The flavor was outstanding, and the price was right! (I believe it was $25, and it would have cost me $100 for good tenderloins to feed the crew.)
It may be considered cheating idk but I can take tougher cuts ( and especially wild game like deer and goose breast with no fat) and do them in a sour vide but for a way extended long time equivalent to reverse sear. Try it with a flat iron, sirloin, tri tip even select Ribeye or strip steaks etc... and you will find the best of both worlds. Going to 115-118 for about 4 hours will really break down connective tissue then you can cool smoke then sear or chill steak back down over night and slow smoke the next day and sear at the end. I own a BBQ restaurant so i have patience for our 15-18 hours brisket and pork but smoking something to med rare IMO sous vide is the only way to go.

Got a traeger pellet smoker recently and did my first cook yesterday with some St. Louis style ribs. Consistency of the ribs was great, but they didn't have a very good smoke ring or smoky taste. The smoker has a "super smoke" feature which i used for the 1st hour of the cook (6 hours at 215). Anybody have any experience with these? Will a longer "super smoke" help?

I have a Timberline 1300 and have noticed a couple things. More often than not, my Thermoworks probe shows a higher temp than the on board thermostat. Higher temp = less smoke. Last brisket cook, I did the first 3 hours at 185 (Traeger temp) with super smoke, then bumped to 225 until it hit ~160, then wrapped in butcher paper to 203. Wrapped in towels and in cooler for ~2 hours. It was the best result and flavor I've had. The difference in emitted smoke was so noticable I actually wondered if something was on fire at 185.

Some pics..

One other thought as far as smoke flavor. I usually don't taste the best smoke the day I cook, though family and friends do. The next day / with leftovers I usually get a lot more of it. I've come to the conclusion it's because I'm around the smoke for a good bit and become desensitized by time to eat.

tldr: try a lower initial temp and see if that has an effect. If not, season pork with this and cheat. LOL

Reactions: clarksvol00

Is it like london broil or more tender? If you like the taste of sirloin but the tenderness of filet try a Picanha.

Reactions: franklinpence
Alrighty, tomorrow is my maiden voyage on the tri tip. 2.7#, looks to have some decent marbling. Steak rub, 225 to 115, then sear and rest?

Tri-tips are one of my Favs. Key is not to over smoke. Just because of size, most if not all under 3 pounds, you will not get a low and slow smoke that breaks it down like a brisket. As such, if you smoke a tri-tip to the well done side, the lack of fat will render it food fight ammo. I try to time mine out to be barely over medium. My wife is not into the bloody meat, so I have to try and get to the pinker side of medium without over cooking. Tri-tips do equally well on the charcoal grill. Just like my steaks, I load the coal to one side of my Weber Kettle and spread it on one half. Sear uncovered each side till almost flaming up. Move to other side and cover till desired doneness. Only disturbance is to rub down each side with a stick of butter during grilling.

Is it like london broil or more tender? If you like the taste of sirloin but the tenderness of filet try a Picanha.

Tri-Tips are a sirloin and have great flavor. Must not overcook. They are best at a high, quick smoke or grill not passing medium. Normally quite tender if not overcooked. Nobody around my parts puts out a Picanha, but i'd love to try one.

More tender than London broil. It wasn't tough, just not tender like a filet or perfect ribeye. I definitely did not overcook -- took about 30 min at 225 to get to 115, then I cranked her up and seared for about 1 min/side before resting a few minutes. Wish I had gotten pics, it was really pretty.

One thing I might do next time is slice it thinner. I was careful to go perpendicular to the grain.

Reactions: Boca Vol
Been a little bit since I've posted. Been doing good smoking pork shoulder over the last few months, but it's time to branch out. I bought some new york strip steak the other day and a 3-inch rib roast. Tonight I'm going to smoke the new york strips (~1" thick) using mesquite and maple wood with a basic beef seasoning (cracked black pepper, sea salt, and garlic powder). Going to do the same thing with the rub roast, but as you can see I left it as a huge chunk of meat so that I can try smoking the steaks both ways to see which way I like more. Gonna finish off with a reverse sear of the steaks in butter, garlic, and rosemary.

As I said earlier this is my first time trying this. I hope it turns out well.

Could you do a London Broil the same way?

Does anybody know what a good $/lb price is for chuck roast? I see that Kroger has in "on sale" for $5/lb and that seems high to me. Although it is USDA Choice it still seems high.

VN Store

Back