The no-loss-of-eligibility rule will help UT more than others in 2021

NighthawkVol

I'm looking at the 2021 projected roster and I have to think that the NCAA allowing no eligibility to lapse this season really helps Tennessee. Here's why: I see other SEC schools' upperclass talent leaving to test the pro waters at a much higher rate than Tennessee's. And the biggest area of concern for 2021...replacing all those DLinemen...becomes an area of strength. Tennessee will now return Solomon, Middleton, Bumphus, and Butler, to go with Emerson, Garland, Thomas, and Bailey. We go from a concern to one of the best DLs in the SEC.

I'd expect the following seniors to leave:
Trey Smith- He has to take his shot at the NFL now.
Jarrett Guarantano- One of two things happens: he finally lives up to his billing, has a great year, and goes to the NFL or he languishes, gets beat out by Bailey or Shrout and either transfers or hangs it up. Let's hope it's the former.
Bryce Thompson- He'll be ready to go. But I do think Alonte Taylor returns AND now Kenneth George gets another year, lessening that loss. So does Shamburger. Taylor, Shamburger, George, Burrell (who has a lot of upside), and Key Lawrence should give Tennessee a very good corps of CBs in 2021. Again, this was a concern before the no-loss-of-eligibility rule. Now it isn't.

Other concerns alleviated by this rule:
-Kicker- Cimaglia will now be back instead of breaking in a freshman.
-TE- Pope will now be back and it's well-documented what a great blocker he is.
-WR depth- UT has some great young WR prospects, but they're unproven. Now Velus Jones and Josh Palmer can come back. I suppose Palmer could go pro, but I'd expect him to return at this point.
-OL depth- Jahmir Johnson has finally become the big athletic OT Pruitt hoped he'd be when he signed him. That development gives Tennessee options along the OLine since he now gets another season. If Cade Mays leaves early, they can probably swing Morris or Wright inside to Guard. And does Brandon Kennedy come back for a 7th year? Why not. Not sure his body is durable enough for the NFL, so he may just hang it up when he's done at UT. An OLine of (left to right) Johnson, Morris, Kennedy, Calbert, and Wright is still very good. Then add depth with Spraggins, Carvin, and a promising Cooper Mays with a year of development. And Cade may return.
-RB depth- getting Chandler and Fils-Aime back helps. This wasn't a huge concern given the arrivals of Brown and Evans, but it's still nice.

Among our rivals, I'm not sure this rule helps them as much. Let's take Florida as an example (since I hate them the most and want to beat them more than anything).

Florida's impact 2020 seniors are:

Kyle Trask- probably goes pro anyway. Some are saying with his size, athleticism, and arm talent, he could sneak into the 1st round.
Trevon Grimes- could go either way, but given his initial intent to sit the season, I don't think he's too committed to the Gators. Probably goes pro.
Kadarius Toney- flirted with the NFL last year. Gone.
Kyree Cambell- gone
Tedarrel Slaton- gone.
Shawn Davis- flirted with the NFL last year. Gone.
Brad Stewart- depends on what kind of year he has.
Stone Forsyth- needs a big year.

So other than the last two, this new rule doesn't add a lot to Florida's 2021 roster like it does Tennessee's. The same is true of Georgia and Alabama, whose impact seniors will mostly be going pro. This rule might be the stroke of good luck that Tennessee needed to break through and become elite in 2021. After that, a full roster of Pruitt's recruits will keep it going.

I'm looking at the 2021 projected roster and I have to think that the NCAA allowing no eligibility to lapse this season really helps Tennessee. Here's why: I see other SEC schools' upperclass talent leaving to test the pro waters at a much higher rate than Tennessee's. And the biggest area of concern for 2021...replacing all those DLinemen...becomes an area of strength. Tennessee will now return Solomon, Middleton, Bumphus, and Butler, to go with Emerson, Garland, Thomas, and Bailey. We go from a concern to one of the best DLs in the SEC.

Jarrett Guarantano- One of two things happens: he finally lives up to his billing, has a great year, and goes to the NFL or he languishes, gets beat out by Bailey or Shrout and either transfers or hangs it up. Let's hope it's the former.
Bryce Thompson- He'll be ready to go. But I do think Alonte Taylor returns AND now Kenneth George gets another year, lessening that loss. So does Shamburger. Taylor, Shamburger, George, Burrell (who has a lot of upside), and Key Lawrence should give Tennessee a very good corps of CBs in 2021. Again, this was a concern before the no-loss-of-eligibility rule. Now it isn't.

-WR depth- UT has some great young WR prospects, but they're unproven. Now Velus Jones and Josh Palmer can come back. I suppose Palmer could go pro, but I'd expect him to return at this point.
-OL depth- Jahmir Johnson has finally become the big athletic OT Pruitt hoped he'd be when he signed him. That development gives Tennessee options along the OLine since he now gets another season. If Cade Mays leaves early, they can probably swing Morris or Wright inside to Guard. And does Brandon Kennedy come back for a 7th year? Why not. Not sure his body is durable enough for the NFL, so he may just hang it up when he's done at UT. An OLine of (left to right) Johnson, Morris, Kennedy, Calbert, and Wright is still very good. Then add depth with Spraggins, Carvin, and a promising Cooper Mays with a year of development. And Cade may return.
-RB depth- getting Chandler and Fils-Aime back helps. This wasn't a huge concern given the arrivals of Brown and Evans, but it's still nice.

Among our rivals, I'm not sure this rule helps them as much. Let's take Florida as an example (since I hate them the most and want to beat them more than anything).

Kyle Trask- probably goes pro anyway. Some are saying with his size, athleticism, and arm talent, he could sneak into the 1st round.
Trevon Grimes- could go either way, but given his initial intent to sit the season, I don't think he's too committed to the Gators. Probably goes pro.
Kyree Cambell- gone
Tedarrel Slaton- gone.

So other than the last two, this new rule doesn't add a lot to Florida's 2021 roster like it does Tennessee's. The same is true of Georgia and Alabama, whose impact seniors will mostly be going pro. This rule might be the stroke of good luck that Tennessee needed to break through and become elite in 2021. After that, a full roster of Pruitt's recruits will keep it going.
It really doesn't matter about Ga and Bammer. THey lose BIG impact players every year ... but they just reload. That's the good thing about having 85 5*s on the roster.

I remember the radio guys in Mobile talking about what an awful decision Kennedy made to go to Tennessee. He could have played one more year at Alabama and he would be "set for life!" (Not sure what they meant by that), but that he would play one year at Tennessee, and no one would ever remember him. But guess who is laughing now! He is the anchor of the line, maybe gets another year, and is a legend in Knoxville! So happy for him!

Kyree Cambell- gone
Tedarrel Slaton- gone.

For a change, we have a full roster of 85. And we will sign a class of at least 25. The issue will be that we won’t have enough people leave to make it work. But it’s good to have options.

Reactions: FïreBall
It really doesn't matter about Ga and Bammer. THey lose BIG impact players every year ... but they just reload. That's the good thing about having 85 5*s on the roster.

The difference being the Gumps actually do something with that talent, and uga just chokes like the loser trash program they are.

(Yes, I'm trolling for one of our annoying uga fans to take the bait)

Still on the hook with 85 scholarships correct? If all those mention above stay for another year, what happens to our 2021 recruits?
This is a great question! If there is no loss to eligibility, would that mean for seniors only? Would this mean a freshman this year is a freshman next year? Of course the 85 scholarship limit would be out window, but I would guess for the following year , it would catch up as 2 classes would be leaving. So what I would be asking is, if you are a freshman, sophomore, or junior this year, your class will be the same next year?

I don’t expect us to keep all those seniors on the defensive line. I think some of those will kindly be pushed along. Omari and D. Bailey will be ready to go by next year and Middleton has outstanding upside. I see us keeping 2-3 for depth experience purposes but JMO. As far as Kennedy he’s probably going to be a late round draft pick and has 3 degrees... take the money and run. Shamburger has another year like last year then he’s a draft pick as well.

Still on the hook with 85 scholarships correct? If all those mention above stay for another year, what happens to our 2021 recruits?

The NCAA will have to expand the 85 scholarship number to somewhere between 100 - 110 for next year. It's their ruling that this year doesn't count toward eligibility, so they have to account for that in next years number. I know the NCAA does a lot of truly stupid things, but the outcry from every college campus playing football will be too great to ignore.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
Maybe the guys that get the extra year will just not count toward the 85 for 2021?
Gonna be interesting what that number is going to be as ACT requirements for FR have been dropped as well so everyone is going to want to max out this upcoming cycle.

I don’t expect us to keep all those seniors on the defensive line. I think some of those will kindly be pushed along. Omari and D. Bailey will be ready to go by next year and Middleton has outstanding upside. I see us keeping 2-3 for depth experience purposes but JMO. As far as Kennedy he’s probably going to be a late round draft pick and has 3 degrees... take the money and run. Shamburger has another year like last year then he’s a draft pick as well.

Middleton has already said he's coming back. I don't see Butler getting drafted (maybe I'm wrong), so he would probably be back. Bumphus is one I think this really benefits. He should've been playing DL his entire career, but he didn't, which stunted his development. I think the extra year will make him a high draft pick.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
Middleton has already said he's coming back. I don't see Butler getting drafted (maybe I'm wrong), so he would probably be back. Bumphus is one I think this really benefits. He should've been playing DL his entire career, but he didn't, which stunted his development. I think the extra year will make him a high draft pick.
I don’t disagree, I just wonder how numbers play out. Do you trade 1 year for 3-4 from a prospective freshman or politely push Bumphus to transfer? There’s valid arguments for both sides and an interesting problem to see how different coaches handle it.

I don’t disagree, I just wonder how numbers play out. Do you trade 1 year for 3-4 from a prospective freshman or politely push Bumphus to transfer? There’s valid arguments for both sides and an interesting problem to see how different coaches handle it.

The assumption has been that the 85 number will be bumped so those types of decisions aren’t necessary. But I guess we’ll have to see.

The assumption has been that the 85 number will be bumped so those types of decisions aren’t necessary. But I guess we’ll have to see.
True but the other positions come in to play as well... I just think it will be interesting to see how it’s handled.

“The NCAA's announcement said seniors student-athletes who take advantage of the additional year of eligibility will not count against team scholarship limits in 2021-22. But even with temporarily-expanded scholarship limits, athletic departments dealing with significant budget shortfalls may not be in position to spend more on athletic scholarships.”

Google is your friend, folks. If you haven’t heard of it, you can find it at www.google.com.

“The NCAA's announcement said seniors student-athletes who take advantage of the additional year of eligibility will not count against team scholarship limits in 2021-22. But even with temporarily-expanded scholarship limits, athletic departments dealing with significant budget shortfalls may not be in position to spend more on athletic scholarships.”

Google is your friend, folks. If you haven’t heard of it, you can find it at www.google.com.
So basically, you better play, because there are some schools who wont be able to afford to keep you on for another year is what it sounds like.

I don't think that will be an issue with UT, but sounds like for smaller schools, it may be.

I think it's a great thing for us, I agree with OP. We have a ton of young talent that will benefit from this year. I hope that many players get reps this year and we can grow up a lot this year. I want to win this year, but I'm all for the long game. Is essentially a redshirt year for everyone, but while getting to play.

Reactions: NighthawkVol

VN Store

Back