The no-loss-of-eligibility rule will help UT more than others in 2021

The guys who have a low to no draft grade will be back. Great news! Another year of free education. We should have alot of depth everywhere. If HB hasn't up rooted JG as starting QB by then we're in trouble!!

So basically, you better play, because there are some schools who wont be able to afford to keep you on for another year is what it sounds like.

I don't think that will be an issue with UT, but sounds like for smaller schools, it may be.

I think it's a great thing for us, I agree with OP. We have a ton of young talent that will benefit from this year. I hope that many players get reps this year and we can grow up a lot this year. I want to win this year, but I'm all for the long game. Is essentially a redshirt year for everyone, but while getting to play.

I think it definitely helps rebuilding programs more than those that are established. Each program can only play 11 at a time. Alabama might have stellar players 3-deep, but if Tenn can get somewhat equally stellar players 1 1/2 deep due to a bigger roster, it evens the playing field...because, again, each team can only put 11 on the field at a time (unless you are Derek Dooley at LSU, but I digress).

So basically, you better play, because there are some schools who wont be able to afford to keep you on for another year is what it sounds like.

I don't think that will be an issue with UT, but sounds like for smaller schools, it may be.

I think it's a great thing for us, I agree with OP. We have a ton of young talent that will benefit from this year. I hope that many players get reps this year and we can grow up a lot this year. I want to win this year, but I'm all for the long game. Is essentially a redshirt year for everyone, but while getting to play.

Florida and Georgia both have a ton (more younger talent), but I wonder if OP is right that the fact their upperclassmen are full of elite players who might go pro will be beneficial to us assuming his theory that many of ours stay is true.

Personally, I think Cimaglia and Mays both go pro assuming Mays plays this year and has a good year. If Kennedy had even a chance of going pro, he is gone too.

The extra year of eligibility is going to come back and bite all teams eventually.

Okay, so the NCAA said seniors who take the extra year of eligibility next year, they don't count toward the 85 scholly limit. That's good. But it just kicks the can down the road one year. We still gonna get constricted in the end.

Let's play the numbers game:

fall 2020 (right now) - 85 scholarship players
spring 2021 - +25 new scholarship players ... no one leaves (at least, no one has to)
fall 2021 - 110 scholarship players (that's ok, because NCAA says the 25 seniors who didn't have to leave don't count)
spring 2022 - +25 new scholarship players ... -25 seniors leave (some using walkers because been at Knoxville about 30 years)
fall 2022 - still 110 scholarship players ... OOPS ... NCAA "seniors don't count" rule no longer in effect.

So in the spring of 2022, every program is going to face some really tough choices between pushing older players out the door early, even before they've used up all their eligibility, or taking in a much smaller than normal freshman class.

The crunch is coming. Just not as immediate as it would've been.

p.s. If I'm the parent of a young football player in the high school class of 2022, I'm seriously considering (a) pushing him to early graduation this coming summer (2021) or (b) holding him back a year to join the class of 2023. Gonna be a tough recruiting year for those young men, supply versus demand gonna be all out of whack.

Last edited:
The extra year of eligibility is going to come back and bite all teams eventually.

Okay, so the NCAA said seniors who take the extra year of eligibility next year, they don't count toward the 85 scholly limit. That's good. But it just kicks the can down the road one year. We still gonna get constricted in the end.

Let's play the numbers game:

fall 2020 (right now) - 85 scholarship players
spring 2021 - +25 new scholarship players ... no one leaves (at least, no one has to)
fall 2021 - 110 scholarship players (that's ok, because NCAA says the 25 seniors who didn't have to leave don't count)
spring 2022 - +25 new scholarship players ... -25 seniors leave (some using walkers because been at Knoxville about 30 years)
fall 2022 - still 110 scholarship players ... OOPS ... NCAA "seniors don't count" rule no longer in effect.

So in the spring of 2022, every program is going to face some really tough choices between pushing older players out the door early, even before they've used up all their eligibility, or taking in a much smaller than normal freshman class.

The crunch is coming. Just not as immediate as it would've been.

p.s. If I'm the parent of a young football player in the high school class of 2022, I'm seriously considering (a) pushing him to early graduation this coming summer (2021) or (b) holding him back a year to join the class of 2023. Gonna be a tough recruiting year for those young men, supply versus demand gonna be all out of whack.

The thought will be that the juniors now will be seniors too and don't get an extra year of eligibility and in 2022 there will be like 40-50 players departing.

The thought will be that the juniors now will be seniors too and don't get an extra year of eligibility and in 2022 there will be like 40-50 players departing.
But because this year didn't count for the juniors either, next year they're still juniors. In terms of football eligibility, at least.

Gonna have to pay the piper at some point. The scholarship limit didn't go up. It just got waived for a year. That bulge of extra players is going to have to go back down to 85 sooner or later.

What would be most useful, perhaps, would be to actually raise the limit so that we can then gradually lower it from 110 back to 85. Like 110 in 2021, then 100 in 2022, 90 in 2023, and back to 85 in 2024.

Last edited:
The interesting part of the new rule where seniors from this year can return next year and NOT count against the 85 count roster will be the players who are RS juniors now. They could be classified by the Vols as a true senior or a RS junior this year.

A) If the player is a true senior this year. He can come back next year and NOT count against 85 count. But this would mean his eligibility would expire in 2021.

B) If a player is a redshirt junior this year, he can return as a redshirt junior next year. He would count against next years 85 count, but his eligibility would not expire until 2022.

We have 6 players that are in this category as RS Juniors this year:
D. Gibbs (even though he has opted out this year)
P. Fant
K. Calbert
K. Bennett
S. Page
C. Labruzza

IMO the staff has flexibility to get more Freshman under the 85 count next year by classifying some of the above 6 as True Seniors this year .. especially the ones who do not appear likely to contribute much in the future. Whereas players like Calbert and Bennett may benefit greatly by keeping eligibility thru 2022.

But because this year didn't count for the juniors either, next year they're still juniors. In terms of football eligibility, at least.

Gonna have to pay the piper at some point. The scholarship limit didn't go up. It just got waived for a year. That bulge of extra players is going to have to go back down to 85 sooner or later.

What would be most useful, perhaps, would be to actually raise the limit so that we can then gradually lower it from 110 back to 85. Like 110 in 2021, then 100 in 2022, 90 in 2023, and back to 85 in 2024.
Didn't realize it allowed Juniors to stay juniors. This makes sense....so of course the NCAA won't do it that way.

I remember the radio guys in Mobile talking about what an awful decision Kennedy made to go to Tennessee. He could have played one more year at Alabama and he would be "set for life!" (Not sure what they meant by that), but that he would play one year at Tennessee, and no one would ever remember him. But guess who is laughing now! He is the anchor of the line, maybe gets another year, and is a legend in Knoxville! So happy for him!

I thin we all know what Set for Life means in Tuscanny.

“The NCAA's announcement said seniors student-athletes who take advantage of the additional year of eligibility will not count against team scholarship limits in 2021-22. But even with temporarily-expanded scholarship limits, athletic departments dealing with significant budget shortfalls may not be in position to spend more on athletic scholarships.”

Google is your friend, folks. If you haven’t heard of it, you can find it at www.google.com.

It's duckduckgo for me, as I am adverse to being Tracked. QWANT also.

Another one I think benefits from this rule is Riley Locklear. He's a kid who really should've redshirted, but had to play. With the depth we have at OLine this year, he isn't needed. Maybe this year is used as a development year in the weight room and he's a much better player next year who starts with Smith and maybe Mays gone. Or he could take over at Center if Kennedy leaves. Because I do think he has upside.

I think it definitely helps rebuilding programs more than those that are established. Each program can only play 11 at a time. Alabama might have stellar players 3-deep, but if Tenn can get somewhat equally stellar players 1 1/2 deep due to a bigger roster, it evens the playing field...because, again, each team can only put 11 on the field at a time (unless you are Derek Dooley at LSU, but I digress).

bama and uga will fair well too but it is harder for them to reap gains as they are near the top in every category, so there will be some catching up for programs like Tennessee.

I can see a lot of good talent going to a FCS school because the rosters are stacked at P5. Then after a year or two transfer to the team that fits them best. Either that or a whole lot of Freshmen get their Redshirts burned in the next two years as we cycle through this morass.

Last edited:
Reactions: NighthawkVol
Doesn't everybody get an extra year? Not just seniors

Good point. So I think the fairest way to do it is: each year you would need to declare your covid seniors (the ones that are solely on the roster because of the extra year), and those players will not count against your 85 limit.

VN Store

Back