Can JT Shrout take the # 2 QB Spot?

Once again you start a debate with a total false statement and expect folks to take your side in an argument, Shrout was a RS Fr who had very little football experience.
So he made an honest mistake and you jump on it... while you intentionally introduce false statements.... and then you call other people "frauds"?

Once again you start a debate with a total false statement and expect folks to take your side in an argument, Shrout was a RS Fr who had very little football experience.

My bad, he was a RS Freshman with a year in a DI program.

There are plenty of QBs who start with less college experience, and even more who at least given the chance to compete for the starting QB spot. Pretending like JG was the only option, and warranted being anointed the starter in the spring, is demonstrably false by the fact that he was benched by game 4 of the 2019 season.

Dude, Devo. The back half of the sentence was, "...in every single game in the first half of the season." Hard to misunderstand that, brother. I mean, I can see how you did it, but you had to have been tying your brain in knots to read it that way. :)

Thank you, GMC.
My brain read it as [in every single game in the first half] ...of the season

When it should have read in every single game [of the first half of the season]

Even as posting I was like surely I read that wrong, then I told myself nah that's what it says! 🤣

I'll show myself out now ;)

I think we are in for a pleasant surprise this year. Pruitt will start JG mainly for seniority, respect, and giving him what he feels is his deserved last chance. I can respect Pruitt for that, but I also believe he will pull JG quicker than last year, especially if Shrout has developed like I'm hearing.

I keep going back to the article I read when Shrout was recruited, an NFL QB scout praising him after competing in a QB camp, basically saying he had the best arm of the others and would be an NFL QB.
Also, I'm not a QB evaluator, but I think he was impressive and showed huge upside with what little time we saw him play. With reading how hard he has studied the offense and his work effort I think he knows it is his chance now.
If Shrout does not become a #1 contender then I expect him to transfer next year.

Last edited:
And yet we have fans like yourself wanting Pruitt to play a young QB in BM who put up arguably the worst stats of any QB we've ever had play. Glad Coach Pruitt is a real coach and not trying to do this from his couch.
BM didn't throw a single ball during the worst UT football team in history's season did he? Know who did?

The longer JG lingers around the longer it takes to get UT back to being an above average team. Fact.

BM didn't throw a single ball during the worst UT football team in history's season did he? Know who did?

The longer JG lingers around the longer it takes to get UT back to being an above average team. Fact.
Here's a fact for you, we were an above average team last season, only a football moron would claim that a team who finished top half of the toughest conference in the country as just average.

You are a fraud, you are the leader of the neverJG group of 5.
And you are as dishonest as k-town if you deluded yourself into believing such absolute non-sense. Criticism isn't "hate"... and I would be as satisfied with JG as anyone else so long as he plays MUCH better than anything we've seen since Dobbs left.

But your attempt at deflecting legitimate criticism... again... is duly noted.

Here's a fact for you, we were an above average team last season, only a football moron would claim that a team who finished top half of the toughest conference in the country as just average.
Could have been with good QB play. But a "team" that loses to GSU and a very, very mediocre BYU team then loses to the 3 ranked teams they faced by an average of 27 points... is NOT an above average team. And yes, the critical difference between winning those two games and being competitive in the other 3 WAS QB play. None of the QB's played well enough... but that was to be expected from two of them.

And you are as dishonest as k-town if you deluded yourself into believing such absolute non-sense. Criticism isn't "hate"... and I would be as satisfied with JG as anyone else so long as he plays MUCH better than anything we've seen since Dobbs left.

But your attempt at deflecting legitimate criticism... again... is duly noted.
Lol, whatever. You can call it what you want, I call your 4000+ post doing nothing but crapping on our starting QB as hate, not sure why you hate him so much as he's done nothing but pour his guts out for this football program.

Right. Above average teams lose to BYU and Georgia State? No wonder you're enamored with JG, you've set the bar very, very low.

My bad, he was a RS Freshman with a year in a DI program.

There are plenty of QBs who start with less college experience, and even more who at least given the chance to compete for the starting QB spot. Pretending like JG was the only option, and warranted being anointed the starter in the spring, is demonstrably false by the fact that he was benched by game 4 of the 2019 season.
Most of those guys that start with less experience were recruited to be the starting QB for those programs, JT was recruited here because our starting QB was inexperienced and we were lacking any talent whatsoever at the backup QB spot. He may have the tools but he wasn't ready to steal reps last season either, once again it would have been coaching suicide to invest more time in JT or BM last year. You'd have a much better argument if you were calling for them to get more reps this camp as opposed to last season's camp, yet that's a tough argument because the backups are getting a ton of reps this camp according to all of the coaches.

Lol, whatever. You can call it what you want, I call your 4000+ post doing nothing but crapping on our starting QB as hate, not sure why you hate him so much as he's done nothing but pour his guts out for this football program.
And... you are LYING repeatedly. You just cannot answer legitimate, objective criticism and have closed your eyes to a flaw obvious to most.

To illustrate your dishonesty... I have repeatedly said he deserves success because of the effort he's put into it. That doesn't change the facts that I've pointed to. He seems to be a good kid. I have no "hate" for him. He simply hasn't been a productive QB in terms of wins or offensive production. His liabilities have been easy to defend. You can criticize other things... but you MUST have better QB play to compete at a high level.

Reactions: FLVOL_79
Could have been with good QB play. But a "team" that loses to GSU and a very, very mediocre BYU team then loses to the 3 ranked teams they faced by an average of 27 points... is NOT an above average team. And yes, the critical difference between winning those two games and being competitive in the other 3 WAS QB play. None of the QB's played well enough... but that was to be expected from two of them.
Lots of average teams in the country, how many of them won 6 games in a row at any point of their season? Average teams don't win that way very often and they almost never do that in the SEC. We were an above average team last year.

Most of those guys that start with less experience were recruited to be the starting QB for those programs, JT was recruited here because our starting QB was inexperienced and we were lacking any talent whatsoever at the backup QB spot. He may have the tools but he wasn't ready to steal reps last season either, once again it would have been coaching suicide to invest more time in JT or BM last year. You'd have a much better argument if you were calling for them to get more reps this camp as opposed to last season's camp, yet that's a tough argument because the backups are getting a ton of reps this camp according to all of the coaches.

Getting reps with the scout offense against the scout defense, is not the same as getting first team reps; you know this, you are just being disingenuous because you can't help yourself.

Pruitt made JG the starter in the spring, he focused the majority of the coaching efforts on trying to get him up to performing at a level commensurate to his seniority, and that strategy failed miserably. JG was benched in game 4, and Pruitt had no recourse but to throw in QBs who were unprepared to play.

Hopefully Pruitt is capable of learning from his mistakes, and doesn't repeat that one this season.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
Getting reps with the scout offense against the scout defense, is not the same as getting first team reps; you know this, you are just being disingenuous because you can't help yourself.

Pruitt made JG the starter in the spring, he focused the majority of the coaching efforts on trying to get him up to performing at a level commensurate to his seniority, and that strategy failed miserably. JG was benched in game 4, and Pruitt had no recourse but to throw in QBs who were unprepared to play.

Hopefully Pruitt is capable of learning from his mistakes, and doesn't repeat that one this season.
Nearly every team in the country has backups not ready to play. Every HS team in the country has backups not ready to play QB, even teams in the NFL have backups that are not ready, newsflash, that's usually why they are backups and not given the starters reps.

Reactions: Devo182
Nearly every team in the country has backups not ready to play. Every HS team in the country has backups not ready to play QB, even teams in the NFL have backups that are not ready, newsflash, that's usually why they are backups and not given the starters reps.

Nearly every team in the country doesn't have a RS Senior QB that still needs every minute of every game to try and improve his game.

Sounds like an opinion.

Reactions: Pepe
Nearly every team in the country doesn't have a RS Senior QB that still needs every minute of every game to try and improve his game.
There you go again, he was a RS Jr who had played QB for 1 1/2 seasons, with 2 pathetic OCs, Scott his 1st season had never been OC before, he also played the 2 years that TN had arguably the worst OL and DL in the conference. You want to crap on his development but I'd like to know how we would have won games his 1st 2 seasons with those rosters we put on the field in 17' and 18'. I'm all ears, please include any other team, in the history of football, at any level that won more than they lost when they possessed arguably the worst lines on both sides of the football within their own conference, something you'll probably not do because you know I'm right about it if you know anything at all about football. You guys saying he can't win and he's proven every single one of you wrong by not only winning last year but by somehow winning a big game in 18' with a team void of much talent even then. The only thing he and Pruitt haven't won is the big game vs Bama, Fl or Ga and I contend that will get checked off the list this year. You and the neverJG crowd shouting he can't win when he's already proven he can is BS I feel and I think his teammates would tell you the same.

Last edited:
There you go again, he was a RS Jr who had played QB for 1 1/2 seasons, with 2 pathetic OCs, Scott his 1st season had never been OC before, he also played the 2 years that TN had arguably the worst OL and DL in the conference. You want to crap on his development but I'd like to know how we would have won games his 1st 2 seasons with those rosters we put on the field in 17' and 18'. I'm all ears, please include any other team, in the history of football, at any level that won more than they lost when they possessed arguably the worst lines on both sides of the football within their own conference, something you'll probably not do because you know I'm right about it if you know anything at all about football. You guys saying he can't win and he's proven every single one of you wrong by not only winning last year but by somehow winning a big game in 18' with a team void of much talent even then. The only thing he and Pruitt haven't won is the big game vs Bama, Fl or Ga and I contend that will get checked off the list this year. You and the neverJG crowd shouting he can't win when he's already proven he can't is BS I feel and I think his teammates would tell you the same.

I'm referring to this season, should JG be the starting QB, it's fair to assume that the backup QB(s) will get little to no playing time (unless he is benched), as has been evidenced by the history of JG's tenure as starting QB.

The oline performance is not a viable excuse for 2019, and really, isn't even a viable excuse for 2018 either.

Reactions: KBVol
I'm referring to this season, should JG be the starting QB, it's fair to assume that the backup QB(s) will get little to no playing time (unless he is benched), as has been evidenced by the history of JG's tenure as starting QB.

The oline performance is not a viable excuse for 2019, and really, isn't even a viable excuse for 2018 either.
Like I said earlier, that's a much better argument on your end than saying the unproven backups should have gotten more reps last season. My take is that Pruitt has handled the QBs perfectly and is set up good this year regardless of who is playing QB. The only one without experience is HB, all have arm talent and we seemingly have a pretty good OL in front of them, if we can run the football we'll have success on the offensive side this year, I believe it'll be with JG and HB getting most all of the snaps.

Like I said earlier, that's a much better argument on your end than saying the unproven backups should have gotten more reps last season. My take is that Pruitt has handled the QBs perfectly and is set up good this year regardless of who is playing QB. The only one without experience is HB, all have arm talent and we seemingly have a pretty good OL in front of them, if we can run the football we'll have success on the offensive side this year, I believe it'll be with JG and HB getting most all of the snaps.

Yes, proclaiming JG the starting QB last spring, hurt our entire QB room, due to the fact that he needs every rep he can get, and the ROI on the time and effort spent on him, is low. All of the effort that was expended trying to get him up to playing at the level of a RS Junior SEC QB, and he was benched by game 4, even when the only other options were a true freshman and RS freshman, with zero in-game college snaps.

You seem to want to forget that part, that JG was benched, even when those two other QBs whom you think so little of, were the only other options.

Reactions: FLVOL_79
Yes, proclaiming JG the starting QB last spring, hurt our entire QB room, due to the fact that he needs every rep he can get, and the ROI on the time and effort spent on him, is low. All of the effort that was expended trying to get him up to playing at the level of a RS Junior SEC QB, and he was benched by game 4, even when the only other options were a true freshman and RS freshman, with zero in-game college snaps.

You seem to want to forget that part, that JG was benched, even when those two other QBs whom you think so little of, were the only other options.
You seem to forget that during the last 7 games everytime we needed solid QB play to win a football game Pruitt went with JG every single time, even though he had an injury so serious he couldn't even tie his own shoe. Here's another thing after the benching, every time Pruitt called on JG he performed, maybe not perfectly but certainly good enough for us to win.

Watson, Lawrence, Fields and Fromm are only 4 to accomplish the numbers he put up in the toughest district at the highest level of GA high school football. He's a blue chipper and I think we'll see more of him than some think. He's gonna be the next Ben Roethlisberger type QB I feel.
I hope he's not as slow to evade pressure as Roethlisberger. I think he's way behind the other QBs because of no spring ball, and missing multiple weeks of fall camp. Doesn't matter what skill set he has, he's behind the system 8 ball compared to our other QBs who've been in the system.

Reactions: tbones0711

VN Store

Back