Recruiting Forum Football Talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think a lot can be said for our QB situation by how AtlantaVOL basically retracted his comments on Harrison Bailey.

It seems the HB is making the push to be the starter and also, the depth charts that have been released by media have HB at #2 and they don’t just do that unless they have heard something.

Also, like @butchna said a while ago, JG will be on a short leash this year.

A 5th year senior cant keep making the same mistakes and not producing. At some point the kid is a lost cause.
I think HB will get his shot if he can check correctly in the running game. Pruitt and Chaney showed last year they aren't afraid to go to a freshman if they think it gives us the best chance. Can HB learn enough of the playbook to win the job.

This will be final update on Drew for awhile. I don’t want to sour things up anymore especially as we approach the happy time of football camp. Which I hope provides some levity and escape.

But my brother received word from the oncologist, radiologist, and neurologist that the outlook is not real good. A very difficult fight ahead. The tumors are sort of spiderwebbed around his spine and into the bone and base of his brain. Biopsy and bone removal Monday, likely two week stay as they blast him with chemo to make it workable.

Go God. Go Vols. And LOL at Kentucky...
My church prayed for Drew and your family this morning. Simply hoping for the very best for all of you.

Last edited:

Jmo but give me Vandy and Arkansas right off the bat. If the season halts at any point, I want a positive image for recruiting. After all, recruits, pollsters, clearly don't care who you played and mostly look at records (how Clemson built its way up against scrubs) so gimme the Ws and a good look, just in case.

And if we do get to play the full season, the hype of a 4-0 team going into the UGA, Bama, UF game midseason would be massive! We'd probably be top 5 (3-conference poll) by then too.

Reminds me of Tiny Richardson vs. Clowney in 2012. Well, except for one play.
Still remember that one play and thinking how impressive a performance that still was. Nobody in CFB could handle Clowney, but Tiny came as close to perfection as anyone. You know Clowney had to be pissed being beaten over and over...by a guy named Tiny hah

Reactions: whitw and Redleg68
Jmo but give me Vandy and Arkansas right off the bat. If the season halts at any point, I want a positive image for recruiting. After all, recruits, pollsters, clearly don't care who you played and mostly look at records (how Clemson built its way up against scrubs) so gimme the Ws and a good look, just in case.

And if we do get to play the full season, the hype of a 4-0 team going into the UGA, Bama, UF game midseason would be massive! We'd probably be top 5 (3-conference poll) by then too.
I want UF. Give Pruitt a month to plan for just them

I want UF. Give Pruitt a month to plan for just them
If we don’t play Florida the first game of the year as was originally scheduled, then you know there is a massive amount of protection for certain teams going on (although we already know that’s happening).

Prepare for the 2nd nut kick...we are about to screwed again. Probably will have to play at least 3 of the top 5 on our schedule in a row.

tenor.gif

For sure. I want UF first and Alabama 7 weeks in after a bye
I just looked at the calendar and saw that there are 12 Saturdays from opening weekend until when they want the SEC championship game played on Dec 19. With that said, I’m wondering if everyone is getting 2 bye weeks? If so, they will prob give us both of ours on Sept 26 and Oct 3 or Dec 5,12 so that we have to play 10 SEC games straight.

I just looked at the calendar and saw that there are 12 Saturdays from opening weekend until when they want the SEC championship game played on Dec 19. With that said, I’m wondering if everyone is getting 2 bye weeks? If so, they will prob give us both of ours on Sept 26 and Oct 3 or Dec 5,12 so that we have to play 10 SEC games straight.
Hahaha. Youre probably right.

I could be mistaken but I think I read that each team will have one bye week since it’s a shortened season.

Trust the coaches. I have a question to ask about that. Last year at the beginning of the season Dan Mullen, a.k.a. the QB whisperer, started Feleipe Franks over Kyle Trask. Franks gets hurt in their game with Kentucky and Florida was trailing on the scoreboard at the time. If Franks doesn't get hurt Kentucky likely wins that game. Instead Franks goes down, Trask comes on and rallies them for the win, and goes on to have one of the best seasons as a QB not just in the SEC but in all of college football. I don't know anybody who think Franks could have ever done that. jmo.

Why in the hell did Dan start Franks over Trask at the beginning of the season unless his claim to be a QB guru is wildly overstated?

None of the QBs we trotted out there last year were very accurate. That's not all that unusual for first time guys like Maurer and Shrout but if your QB is a 3rd year guy and struggles with accuracy, Houston, we may have a problem. Well over 30% of the passes thrown AT our 4 top guys last year, Jennings, Callaway, Palmer, and Wood-Anderson, were rated as uncatchable by SECStatCat. JG's depth adjusted accuracy was 42.34%, Maurer was at 31.93%, and Shrout was at 31.77%. Our receivers would need to have a catch radius the likes of which don't exist anywhere in reality.

I don't know how our QB situation is going to shake out this year but I'm not taking it for granted that what I can see if it conflicts with the coach's views makes my judgement wrong by default.

Maybe our guys will have improved during the offseason. That would be normal. Identify the areas you need to work on and work on those. Most analysts are not holding their breath that we will have addressed our QB issues this year. Last year PFF had JG rated as the 21st best returning QB in the nation but by year end they had bumped him down to #80.

I think it was last week in this thread where some posters were suggesting Justin Fields wasn't all that good, an assessment apparently to some degree shared by Chaney and/or Smart in the 2018 season, at least in comparison to Jake Fromm State Farm. I see it completely the opposite and I think my view is shared by most NFL draft scouts. Obviously, that doesn't make us right but barring any major setback Fields is going to get paid big time. jmo.

After their 4th game in 2018 Clemson benched Kelly Bryant and handed the ball to Trevor Lawrence full time. Trevor went on, as a true freshman, to win the national championship that year. I'm not trying to start a fight or anything but only one QB on our roster to my knowledge has ever been compared favorably to Trevor Lawrence. I'll let you guess which kid that might be. jmo.

Lastly, if we screw up the QB situation this year, and at this point there''s no real reason to believe we will, but if we do, then dammit I'm taking my support over to the player's union . jmo.
Ya have to give our coaches credit last year though. They truly gave all the other QBs a legitimate chance to showcase and I don't doubt they will again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back