The end of the NCAA governing

Joefoxx

I think we are seeing the beginning of the top 60 programs break away from the NCAA. They will adopt their own rules, without the NCAA dictating eligibility, transfers, and entrance requirements. They will establish their own playoffs, whether that be 4 or 16 teams. Big time college football doesn't need the NCAA. They dont need Vandetbilt, Wake Forest, Boston College, and others sucking money from the schools that wanna play big boy football.

While I used to long for the NCAA TO evaporate, I remember not too long ago when we wouldn't have been one of the top 60 teams. The whole ecosystem will not be the same.
I might as well brace for change, your probably right that a few conferences will unite and the ncaa will no longer have any influence. But I I guess I really just want what we used to have back at some point. It was a great thing. Let's not ruin it forever.

Reactions: Seattle Hillbilly
I think we are seeing the beginning of the top 60 programs break away from the NCAA. They will adopt their own rules, without the NCAA dictating eligibility, transfers, and entrance requirements. They will establish their own playoffs, whether that be 4 or 16 teams. Big time college football doesn't need the NCAA. They dont need Vandetbilt, Wake Forest, Boston College, and others sucking money from the schools that wanna play big boy football.

We'll see if the bigger boys have the ba!!s to do that. I have no problem with bottom feeders wanting to man up and get their azzes kicked by the big boys if they want to join, so long as they have like minds.

Who's going to govern the top 60 once they break away?
BaW0P2NIgAAbxuR.jpg

I think the leader in the club house would be Greg Sankey. But unless you have your head in the sand, they're a group of schools that are football factories, which I have no problem with. But their are others just going thru the motions to collect money from the lucrative TV deals

Reactions: Wireless1
Breaking away makes some sense, especially if they see paying the players inevitable. The NCAA can only complicate that.

This is the question that none of the NCAA haters want to answer. Replacing corruption w corruption isnt too exciting.
Kind of like defunding the police bc of injustice, leaving a vaccum like a black hole that draws into it far more injustice.

Last edited:
My pipe dream would be a "premier league" and a promotion/relegation system like in England... But I know that's almost impossible.
Is this a semi-pro, paid program with no relation to college athletics? I’m not sure how well the University of Tennessee would do in that case?

People don’t really get it. The NCAA is formed through the member institutions. It’s not like some evil corporation that has enslaved college athletics. I believe the NCAA will change before institutions leave - because institutions are the ones who can change it.

People don’t really get it. The NCAA is formed through the member institutions. It’s not like some evil corporation that has enslaved college athletics. I believe the NCAA will change before institutions leave - because institutions are the ones who can change it.

This. The NCAA are the institutions. There is nothing to break away from. Football is not the NCAA though but can only start their own show if their institutions agree. Likely presidents and regents will make the final decisions on something like that with close attention to money. Just like presidents will be the ones making any playing decisions this fall. Commissioners, AD’s and coaches have minimal input in the playing decision. Its down to the presidents and their lawyers. Even if the so called king Saban objects this is one case where they tell him to STFU and he can’t do diddly.

If Jim Delaney still ran the B1G, I might agree with you, but with the way their new commissioner has operated, blindsiding the other P5 conferences with his conference-only decision and now cancelling, I don't believe the other commissioners, particularly the SEC and ACC view him and the B1G as a viable partner to hitch their wagons to.

Once the Power 5 conferences break away from the dreaded ncaa to form their own governing body, does that mean the member institutions will then be free to hire coaches like Donnie Tyndall who still have the proverbial albatross of a "show cause" penalty around their necks?
Surely all ncaa-imposed penalties will then become null and void in the eyes of the new organization.

This isn't going to happen. Wishful thinking. The NCAA is like a rising Phoenix, it always comes back.

I think the leader in the club house would be Greg Sankey. But unless you have your head in the sand, they're a group of schools that are football factories, which I have no problem with. But their are others just going thru the motions to collect money from the lucrative TV deals
And skankey is just a weak individual.

This isn't going to happen. Wishful thinking. The NCAA is like a rising Phoenix, it always comes back.
It does, but there’s precedent for this. A bunch of schools got fed up with the NCAA restricting TV deals in the 80s, formed the CFA and sued the NCAA. Every so often, the conferences flex a little.

A governing board of 60 school presidents.... See how that works. Or a board of 120 presidents and A Dirs. NOW,, that would really do the job. To make it more workable have the legal staffs of the schools over see everything and to not slight the poor athletes, have the schools Human Resources Dept also be involved.. Yeah that should do it........;)

You are probably right, but IMO the NCAA is not capable of making changes to meet the needs of the member institutions and Athletes.

So more of the same and kicking the bucket down the road.

Power 5 has the money and TV deals to break away from the NCAA and establish Power 5 league Then the rest of FBS can merge with FCS to form a D1 with no subdivisions

VN Store

Back