Brett McMurphy source: College Football Season is Done

College Football as we know is over if there is no season. The NFL is going to take over Saturday and Sunday now, TV deals will be renegotiated, lots of revenue will be lost and people will fill their time with something else a certain % won't be back. They actually talked about it on the radio the other day that the NFL already has a 2nd schedule with Saturday/ Sunday dates and once they start theyre not giving Saturdays back. College Football can move to Friday nights, i guess or the spring but permanent change is coming.

Hope those who have cheered this thing on are happy, congrats go celebrate

Reactions: tbwhhs and 508mikey
Fade in June: There will be no college football

VN response: You’re crazy, Fade

Fade in early Aug: Schools won’t want to have the liability

VN response: You’re being ridiculous, Fade

Fade, you and Dumbledorange and a few others might be right about this ... but you'll still be badly wrong.

See, for many of us Vols football is like a beloved family member. One we only get to see four months out of every year. We miss them when they're gone, and can't wait for them to come back.

And that's not just me anthropomorphizing the game. It really is like family, because it involves family. And good friends.. The Vols games give us excuses to get together on Saturdays, to get over that little spat we maybe had on Tuesday, to bridge distances that normally make it too inconvenient to gather, put aside whatever differences may exist, for a little while, to watch the game together. It's something we agree on, and agree strongly enough to overcome a host of little annoyances and inconveniences that otherwise litter life.

So you and others saying, over and over on these boards, "there isn't going to be any football in 2020" is like telling me I won't be able to see my daughter in 2020, she won't make it home for the holidays. It's not life-ending, but it hurts. It dims the light, reduces the joy of what's coming up in the next few months.

When you jump up and down about how it's looking more and more like you're right, you're acting like that fellow who annoys everyone by harping over and over again about how our lad should've been wearing a seat belt, even as we stand by his bedside and wonder if he can pull through.

You're just being a pain in the ass.

So...feel good about being right, I guess. You're still dead wrong.

Last edited:
The NFL will have a season with fans in the stands. It is taking all precautions...players are practicing for the start of the season. The SEC and ACC will go on and possibly the Big 12. The B1G 10 and PAC 12 are up in the air. It will happen with fans in the stands.

8 New England Patriots opted out. Without checking all of their drivers licenses, I'm willing to bet they're older than that.
Yeah but none of them are household names. Most of the NFL players opting out are OL and DL players and I am not sure how many are even starters.

Reactions: TennVols12
Bec
People STILL seemed confused about the nature of viral community spread. NO ONE is arguing that college athletes’ health is in imminent danger because of COVID. But by participating in a sport like football that increases the chance of athletes becoming infected, you thereby put the larger community at risk because of the ease of spread. It’s the non athletes that athletes will invariably spread it to that makes everyone nervous. Why can’t people understand this basic concept?
Because people are ignorant and greedy.

College Football as we know is over if there is no season. The NFL is going to take over Saturday and Sunday now, TV deals will be renegotiated, lots of revenue will be lost and people will fill their time with something else a certain % won't be back. They actually talked about it on the radio the other day that the NFL already has a 2nd schedule with Saturday/ Sunday dates and once they start theyre not giving Saturdays back. College Football can move to Friday nights, i guess or the spring but permanent change is coming.

Hope those who have cheered this thing on are happy, congrats go celebrate

College football will never regularly be played on Friday nights. If you honestly believe that I feel sorry for you. Even reading that boggles my mind.

It’s not only probable, it’s virtually a certainty. Warm weather didn’t abate it, as hoped, and any thoughts of it simply burning out seem futile at this point. This virus will be with us till either herd immunity is reached or an effective vaccine is distributed to enough of the population to stop it. Both those possibilities are still many months away.
Our choice is whether to continue with measures that were solely designed to avoid hospital collapse – something many people seem to have forgotten – or take greater calculated risks in order to re-normalize life and then deal with the consequences. Until a vaccine is widely in place we’re just playing dodge ball with a highly contagious virus and postponing the inevitable. What’s worse: dealing with a wildfire-like virus that presents a statistically low mortality rate, or dealing with the cumulative economic and health-related damage of continued lockdowns? There are no easy choices, and the course you’d prefer often reflects your personal or family situation. Or, too often, your political leanings, which is by far the most corrosive position in a matter like this.

Funny thing is that even Dr Fouci admitted that a highly effective vaccine wasn't likely to happen ever. When we do get a successful vaccine it's likely to only be 50 to 75 percent effective.....about as effective as the flu vaccine that alot of people complain about not working. But yes, let's wait on an ineffective (in alot of cases) vaccine in order to continue to live our lives normally. People are so stupid

I'm not dismissing the risk of heat stroke or any death. But, a player knows the risk of heat stroke, and he chooses to take it for himself and himself alone. He doesn't choose to take the risk for himself and his family members, friends, and anyone else he might expose to heat stroke.

Because the football field is the only place a player could become infected. Rrrrrriiiiiiight.

It’s not only probable, it’s virtually a certainty. Warm weather didn’t abate it, as hoped, and any thoughts of it simply burning out seem futile at this point. This virus will be with us till either herd immunity is reached or an effective vaccine is distributed to enough of the population to stop it. Both those possibilities are still many months away.
Our choice is whether to continue with measures that were solely designed to avoid hospital collapse – something many people seem to have forgotten – or take greater calculated risks in order to re-normalize life and then deal with the consequences. Until a vaccine is widely in place we’re just playing dodge ball with a highly contagious virus and postponing the inevitable. What’s worse: dealing with a wildfire-like virus that presents a statistically low mortality rate, or dealing with the cumulative economic and health-related damage of continued lockdowns? There are no easy choices, and the course you’d prefer often reflects your personal or family situation. Or, too often, your political leanings, which is by far the most corrosive position in a matter like this.

Even a successful vaccine won't be highly effective. What then? Gotta let it cycle through. Nothing we can do about it. It'll be with us for multiple years regardless. We're going to not play sports for multiple years?

People STILL seemed confused about the nature of viral community spread. NO ONE is arguing that college athletes’ health is in imminent danger because of COVID. But by participating in a sport like football that increases the chance of athletes becoming infected, you thereby put the larger community at risk because of the ease of spread. It’s the non athletes that athletes will invariably spread it to that makes everyone nervous. Why can’t people understand this basic concept?

Why can't people understand the basic concept of quarantining those at risk rather than those who are healthy? Quarantining the healthy makes as much sense as a hemorrhoid transplant.

Even a successful vaccine won't be highly effective. What then? Gotta let it cycle through. Nothing we can do about it. It'll be with us for multiple years regardless. We're going to not play sports for multiple years?
Too much $$$ involved for that. Sports, albeit likely not CFB in 2020, is widely viewed as acceptable risk.

Reactions: norrislakevol
It's become political because unlike the several other countries that accepted the idea of staying home and wearing masks (none of whom give a sh** about our election, incidentally), we have a bunch of pandemic deniers who would rather blame political parties than change their own behavior even a little bit

How convenient and easy for the powers-that-be. They’re in position to make the moves and call the shots, but they get to blame the citizenry for their decisions. It’s some sort of twisted justifiable homicide scheme. I shot you, but you forced me to. That’s the height of ruling class dishonesty and arrogance.

A recent study showed only 14% of Americans are completely unwilling to wear masks. And in almost all of those cases, that small percentage of people aren’t even allowed into any establishments where they can possibly infect someone else without a mask. So the entire “shut down society” crowd; politicians, political media, sports media and their sycophants, get to blame a small percentage of people not wearing masks on their catastrophic decisions. “Oh, we wanted college football and Church, but because Suzy and Billy in Mainstreet, USA didn’t wear a mask to the gas station, we just can’t do it.”

Do you know how ridiculous that sounds?

#iwanttoplay . A lot of people in the media, people on This Site, people on social media have been clamoring all summer for the athletes to have a voice and be more than an athlete. Now 99% of the so-called exploited student athletes want to go back and play ball and even the best player in college football voiced his support. Penn State players have started the #iwanttoplay hashtag. I want to see who is going to support the players voice here or if their real exploitation has been for their political agenda.

Fade, you and Dumbledorange and a few others might be right about this ... but you'll still be badly wrong.

See, for many of us Vols football is like a beloved family member. One we only get to see four months out of every year. We miss them when they're gone, and can't wait for them to come back.

And that's not just me anthropomorphizing the game. It really is like family, because it involves family. And good friends.. The Vols games give us excuses to get together on Saturdays, to get over that little spat we maybe had on Tuesday, to bridge distances that normally make it too inconvenient to gather, put aside whatever differences may exist, for a little while, to watch the game together. It's something we agree on, and agree strongly enough to overcome a host of little annoyances and inconveniences that otherwise litter life.

So you and others saying, over and over on these boards, "there isn't going to be any football in 2020" is like telling me I won't be able to see my daughter in 2020, she won't make it home for the holidays. It's not life-ending, but it hurts. It dims the light, reduces the joy of what's coming up in the next few months.

When you jump up and down about how it's looking more and more like you're right, you're acting like that fellow who annoys everyone by harping over and over again about how our lad should've been wearing a seat belt, even as we stand by his bedside and wonder if he can pull through.

You're just being a pain in the ass.

So...feel good about being right, I guess. You're still dead wrong.
I think most everyone who spends any amount of free time on VOLNATION is passionate about their love for the Vols. Some think there will be a season and some think there won’t be...both opinions in the grand scheme don’t matter...it’s gonna be what it’s gonna be. We all want to vols to play and love them for all the reasons you mention.

I think most everyone who spends any amount of free time on VOLNATION is passionate about their love for the Vols. Some think there will be a season and some think there won’t be...both opinions in the grand scheme don’t matter...it’s gonna be what it’s gonna be. We all want to vols to play and love them for all the reasons you mention.
I agree that people love their Vols. Some people just love self righteousness more.

How convenient and easy for the powers-that-be. They’re in position to make the moves and call the shots, but they get to blame the citizenry for their decisions. It’s some sort of twisted justifiable homicide scheme. I shot you, but you forced me to. That’s the height of ruling class dishonesty and arrogance.

A recent study showed only 14% of Americans are completely unwilling to wear masks. And in almost all of those cases, that small percentage of people aren’t even allowed into any establishments where they can possibly infect someone else without a mask. So the entire “shut down society” crowd; politicians, political media, sports media and their sycophants, get to blame a small percentage of people not wearing masks on their catastrophic decisions. “Oh, we wanted college football and Church, but because Suzy and Billy in Mainstreet, USA didn’t wear a mask to the gas station, we just can’t do it.”

Do you know how ridiculous that sounds?

We (probably) can't have college football because the virus is still running rampant through our country, and because college football has much larger rosters, much more contact and many more teams than something like basketball or soccer (and MLS has had its struggles restarting as well).

The virus is still running rampant through our country because our population (compared to other countries) has been less willing to take the virus seriously, more likely to protest safety precautions as infringements on freedom, more likely to vilify science and scientists in favor of their own untested theories, and more likely to descend on beaches or bike rallies in droves like the pandemic just doesn't exist. That's a lot more than "Suzy and Billy in Mainstreet not wearing masks."

Even if we do focus ONLY on masks, the first thing I noticed about your post was that the focus on the 14% "completely unwilling" is too narrow a focus. So I found your poll, and it looks like only 44% always wear masks like they're supposed to, with 29% "sometimes" or less, which would be around 100 million people. Even then, this is self-reported, so that 29% number could easily be higher.

mask-usage-gallup-overall-1024x589.png

Last edited:
The liability issue is a big issue, not just for college football, but for all entities. Businesses keep waiting for our impotent Congress to pass some much-needed legislation, but they are too busy trying to make political points with the press (both sides).

LAWYERS, LAWYERS, LAWYERS!!!!! If they start suing over a virus, they will expand their efforts to sue over playing a team that using chop blocks and players get hurt, a team who has a tendency to rough the passer and a QB gets hurt or a player wearing cleats slips on a ramp floor and is hurt. This liability issue will open Pandora's box, if these suits are allowed to be heard other than to be dismissed as frivolous.

Reactions: norrislakevol

VN Store

Back