Recruiting Forum Football Talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lord, I remember defending my thesis. 3 professors on the panel, and my thesis argued against some points in one of the professor's books, which I wasn't aware of at the time, so almost my entire defense ending up being me defending against him. I had wondered why he had come at me so hard, and wasn't until afterwards that I learned why.

Fun times. But in the end he said I had defended my points very well.
Thesis defense is a strange thing. Professors who have been bringing you along in your profession for at least a few years seemingly turn against you and pepper you with so many questions you wonder if there's anything left to defend.

Then, minutes later, they smile, tell you "great job" and congratulate you.

The maths say 1 more East team will have to get screwed over by playing 3 of the top 4 West teams.

I'll call either Vandy or USCjr. Mizzou lucked out by already scheduling 2 of the bottom teams. We know it couldn't be UF or UGA unless Saban is pulling the strings.

Thesis defense is a strange thing. Professors who have been bringing you along in your profession for at least a few years seemingly turn against you and pepper you with so many questions you wonder if there's anything left to defend.

Then, minutes later, they smile, tell you "great job" and congratulate you.

I scheduled mine at 11am because I knew 3 old professors would be ready for lunch at noon. And sure enough, the guy that was grilling me so hard looks up at the clock at 11:55 and says ok, let's wrap this up.

So anyways heres more to my idea of conference only schedules.
1) Every conference does it. Must have 12 games
2) Top 2 teams play at the end of the year for the conference championship
3) Keep the rankings system.
4) Give 2 G5 teams an at large bid .
5) Seed the conference champs 1-5
6) Teams 1-4 get a bye
7) Seed everyone else 6-12, but teams in the same conference may not play a third time unless its the NC game.
8) First round and quarterfinals would be at the home field of the higher seed.
9) Semifinals would be at a neutral location
10) NC game would be at a neutral site.

Reactions: MockingVol
So anyways heres more to my idea of conference only schedules.
1) Every conference does it. Must have 12 games
2) Top 2 teams play at the end of the year for the conference championship
3) Keep the rankings system.
4) Give 2 G5 teams an at large bid .
5) Seed the conference champs 1-5
6) Teams 1-4 get a bye
7) Seed everyone else 6-12, but teams in the same conference may not play a third time unless its the NC game.
8) First round and quarterfinals would be at the home field of the higher seed.
9) Semifinals would be at a neutral location
10) NC game would be at a neutral site.
I have had similar thoughts, but the 2 things I would disagree with are byes for the top 4 (need more parity, not less imo) and doing away with G5/FCS games. It would decimate budgets for lower conferences. Local teams like ETSU, MTSU, Chattanooga could be out of business.

Also enjoy some of those games because you get to play 3 or 4-deep, walkons, redshirts, try out different things. And sometimes...you just need a win and a fun day for all.

Reactions: barrylee
I have had similar thoughts, but the 2 things I would disagree with are byes for the top 4 (need more parity, not less imo) and doing away with G5/FCS games. It would decimate budgets for lower conferences. Local teams like ETSU, MTSU, Chattanooga could be out of business.

Also enjoy some of those games because you get to play 3 or 4-deep, walkons, redshirts, try out different things. And sometimes...you just need a win and a fun day for all.
The byes are just the only way to make 12 work. Im cool if theres a way to get rid of them, Off the top of my head I couldn't figure out how I liked 16 to work.
Also I get it, I like that those games help the smaller schools, but lets be honest when those games come on the schedule do you really get excited? Its either a 50-0 laugher, or a sloppy game where its not hard to tell one team isn't interested at all. I mean I know I dont speak for everyone, but its hard to get excited for those games.

U shut your damn mouth. JK
I seriously think it makes more sense for them to allow other teams to rise to the top and not tamp down potential underdog teams like us. Otherwise the SEC could become stale like the ACC, Big 12, and Big 10. We can already name who’s winning those conference championships off the top of our heads. It’s boring.

The byes are just the only way to make 12 work. Im cool if theres a way to get rid of them, Off the top of my head I couldn't figure out how I liked 16 to work.
Also I get it, I like that those games help the smaller schools, but lets be honest when those games come on the schedule do you really get excited? Its either a 50-0 laugher, or a sloppy game where its not hard to tell one team isn't interested at all. I mean I know I dont speak for everyone, but its hard to get excited for those games.
Yeah, the 16 thing is tough. My ultimate system would be having 4 superconferences, 8 divisions regionally/tradition based.

Top 4 from each superconference, 2 from each division, play 1 vs 2 from separate divisions (assuming we kept divisions). The conference championships are de facto playoffs, so we keep conference champions. Then the 4 champions play for it all.

The main upside being absolutely zero human intervention, polls, debates. Like making the NFL, MLB, NBA playoffs. All rule-based. You are either top 2 in your division (by standard conference tiebreaking rules) or you are out.

G5 has their own playoff.

Reactions: mr.checkerboards
Yeah, the 16 thing is tough. My ultimate system would be having 4 superconferences, 8 divisions regionally/tradition based.

Top 4 from each superconference, 2 from each division, play 1 vs 2 from separate divisions (assuming we kept divisions). The conference championships are de facto playoffs, so we keep conference champions. Then the 4 champions play for it all.

The main upside being absolutely zero human intervention, polls, debates. Like making the NFL, MLB, NBA playoffs. All rule-based. You are either top 2 in your division (by standard conference tiebreaking rules) or you are out.

G5 has their own playoff.
Honestly I like that. Plus if the G5 had their own playoff they could generate more revenue. Stil think tho they need to get rid of as many non conference blowout games as possible. Maybe allow teams to schedule one per year.

Reactions: Devo182
Honestly I like that. Plus if the G5 had their own playoff they could generate more revenue. Stil think tho they need to get rid of as many non conference blowout games as possible. Maybe allow teams to schedule one per year.
Good point. Maybe if we could find ways to get them money other ways, the games wouldn't be so necessary.

Just hate the thought of ETSU, App St, WCU, Chatt, etc going out of business. Maybe not big to us, but huge for those cities and universities. I was at ETSU when they dissolved the football program. It was terrible for Johnson City, the campus, alumni, and students. Not to mention, living in the athletic dorms turned into a ghost town my 2nd year. I walked out first day of classes looking for dormmates like
john-travolta-lost.gif

Insurance companies want premiums but don’t like paying out claims. It’s business.
They dont like paying out uncovered claims. They are contractually obligated to investigate. Otherwise, insurance fraud would go undetected and your premiums would be substantially higher once the actuaries run the numbers.

I hope I live long enough, my health stays good enough, and the nation keeps it together long enough for us to retire so we can just RV all over the west...we met a lot of retired folks that do just that, and are happy as larks.
That,s what we’re doing now. Just retired and now visiting western NC, living in our RV. It’s beautiful here. Head to God’s country in 10 days and will stay in the Maryville area for a couple of months. Again, next year we go out west.

That,s what we’re doing now. Just retired and now visiting western NC, living in our RV. It’s beautiful here. Head to God’s country in 10 days and will stay in the Maryville area for a couple of months. Again, next year we go out west.
What part of WNC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back